• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Rhys Lloyd on his missed tackle

PanthersFanNY

After reading the latest Foxhole, I was curious about his mention that Lloyd got hurt during the play with the TD return on a kickoff. I didn't see anything happen and I don't think they talked about it during the game, but apparently he hurt his ankle.

So I checked Lloyd's twitter page.

At first, he said about the tackle: "Note about the game on sunday and about the tackle. I'm not trained to tackle people and I wasn't about to get injured so."

Then later, he said "I didn't tackle cause I had rolled my ankle people. Anyway that play was not Anyones fault in particular."

I'm more annoyed by the first "tweet" when he said "I'm not trained to tackle people." That is just BS. He has been alright this year, but is he doing enough to justify his roster spot and his salary? This has been discussed, but to me he comes off as kind of douchy here.

He is a soccer player first ,but can kick the hell out of a football.He could easily take Kasey's spot,but Richardson,as well as a lot of the fans would not like it,since he is the only one left from the Frank Howard Field days.He kicks field goals as good as he does kickoffs,as well as a very good punter,but with a rugby style.

After reading the latest Foxhole, I was curious about his mention that Lloyd got hurt during the play with the TD return on a kickoff. I didn't see anything happen and I don't think they talked about it during the game, but apparently he hurt his ankle.

So I checked Lloyd's twitter page.

At first, he said about the tackle: "Note about the game on sunday and about the tackle. I'm not trained to tackle people and I wasn't about to get injured so."

Then later, he said "I didn't tackle cause I had rolled my ankle people. Anyway that play was not Anyones fault in particular."

I'm more annoyed by the first "tweet" when he said "I'm not trained to tackle people." That is just BS. He has been alright this year, but is he doing enough to justify his roster spot and his salary? This has been discussed, but to me he comes off as kind of douchy here.

I had to log in for this one!

O.K. I'm annoyed by the fact that he said "and I wasn't about to get injured"...now he didn't clarify he'd rolled his ankle at first so I would've taken that as a very p*ssy statement had I not read the second tweet.

Then I was wondering this year if they do teach kickers and punters to tackle...I'm sure no coaches are dumb enough to think it'll never happen.

Lloyd used to take pride in tackling and was very harda** so IDK why the change of heart...but his effort was STILL better than Baker against DeSean Jackson...now that one pissed me off...Baker basically just slid RIGHT by Jackson...

VVVTHis video doesn't show the angle as well but in slow Mo Baker did NOTHING that play...

IMO though we had bad coverage on that BUcs Kickoff...c/ anytime the Kicker can slow the returner down enough someone should be able to get him from behind...though Lloyd didn't MAKE the tackle...he did slow him down way more than Baker did DeSean. Plus after Lloyd slowd the guy SLoughter two other Panthers missed if I'm correct...

Unless Lloyd is booting EVERY kick thru the back of the endzone he's not earning his job. Also, that would keep Jim from having to make tackles.

No he is earning his paycheck as it is. Have you all forgotten how terrible our Kickoffs were before Lloyd when Kasey held the job. Oh how fast we forgot who basically lost our only super bowl appearance on Kasey's kick out of bounds (the D didn't do there job easier but I digress). No one is perfect and there are few Kickers in the league (I can't think of a one) that can make that tackle in the open field. No blame Crossman and his awesome kick coverage for that return. I wonder how many points the ST has been directly responsible for giving up this year?

Why can't we have one kicker who does both?

Other teams do?

We used to.

That roster spot is extemely valuable for depth and its going for someone whose only job is to kick-off.

Lately, it seems unless he kicks it out of the endzone, teams run it out anyway, for all the obvious reasons.

Two reasons, Baker and Kasey. Neither can do both and no one in the FO/Coaching staff wants to part ways with either of them (Baker should be gone this offseason IMO).

Archived