• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Eric Reid being a distraction

6 minutes ago, TheCasillas said:

I live in the center of uptown, I firmly believe you have no idea what you are talking about. Also, there were over 4.6 million dollars in damage. Let's just overlook the fact someone was shot, and the guy that was jumped by 10 individuals in front of the arena and thrown into a barrell that was on fire. Let's downplay all of that.

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/politics-government/article109699922.html

I watched them as well, on TV from two miles away. It was one night of property damage, two counting the burnt semi-trailer, a couple of people got beat up, and one guy got shot by what many think was an errant bullet, fired by an idiot shooting off his pistol during the protests. The city didn't burn for a week. Calm down with the hyperbole. 

17 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

Long as he plays well, kinda doubt it.

There's really only one question I have with regard to the Reid signing. I know Hurney and Rivera say he was the best available safety. And that makes sense.

That said, would someone care to explain to me why he wasn't the "best available player" back when we signed Da'norris Searcy?

I get that the team sale wasn't final back then, but even so, Richardson was on his way out. And even if you cite Richardson as the reason, there was plenty of time during training camp. It's not like Searcy didn't get his first concussion until recently.

Why did it take an injury for this to happen?

I think the MAIN reason was the sale wasn't final, I'd imagine like most of us, Rivera // Hurney didn't know exactly the kind of leadership they were going to get from Tepper. So I imagine they played it safe with the safety signing even though Reid was the best available, it would only make sense from a job security stand-point. 

By the time Tepper was in place, it didn't make sense from a football stand point as we'd already signed Searcy, and drafted Gaulden. Also if you watch Reid's presser, he said when asked about other offers, he came here because we had the ''best offer''. So it's also possible his off-season price was too high. If I'm not mistaken Tyrann Mathieu got 1yr/7mil -- https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2764984-tyrann-mathieu-reportedly-agrees-to-1-year-contract-with-houston-texans

That's a high price, and we were bargain shopping this off-season overall. We ended up getting Reid for under 2 million, and that's if incentives are hit. IMO the timing and unfortunately (for him) Searcy's injuries played out this scenario in our best favor. 

As a fan, I'm just glad it happened. 

1 minute ago, PanthersBigD said:

I watched them as well, on TV from two miles away. It was one night of property damage, two counting the burnt semi-trailer, a couple of people got beat up, and one guy got shot by what many think was an errant bullet, fired by an idiot shooting off his pistol during the protests. The city didn't burn for a week. Calm down with the hyperbole. 

Riot: a violent disturbance of the peace by a crowd.

It was a riot, and it is supremely disrespectful of you to downplay it. You have demonstrated zero compassion for those who suffered this. Being in my lobby watching a brick get thrown through and almost knocking out our concierge is no laughing matter. If you cared about your city, it's citizens, or paid taxes for the damages you shouldn't speak about it the way you are. Otherwise, the character you have demonstrated is pathetic, and deserves zero respect.

1 minute ago, TheCasillas said:

Riot: a violent disturbance of the peace by a crowd.

It was a riot, and it is supremely disrespectful of you to downplay it. You have demonstrated zero compassion for those who suffered this. Being in my lobby watching a brick get thrown through and almost knocking out our concierge is no laughing matter. If you cared about your city, it's citizens, or paid taxes for the damages you shouldn't speak about it the way you are. Otherwise, the character you have demonstrated is pathetic, and deserves zero respect.

It's fun watching you finally get righteously indignant about something. Unsurprising that it's something that affected you negatively, however indirectly. 

8 minutes ago, PanthersBigD said:

It's fun watching you finally get righteously indignant about something. Unsurprising that it's something that affected you, however indirectly. 

It affected our city. Our home. Our neighbors. Our familes. 

Something someone with sociopathic attributes like yourself wouldn't understand, apparently.

That's 4.6 million dollars that could of been contributed to government funded programs like decreasing homeless children in Meck county or affordable housing. Instead, it went to repairing city damages. Our city budget went to poo after that event. These are things you don't participate in or care about. 

Im not here to argue with you, I was originally trying to point out that your statements were crude and inaccurate. However, you did a better job of illustrating that than I could have.

Just now, TheCasillas said:

It affected our city. Our home. Our neighbors. Our familes. 

Something someone with sociopathic attributes like yourself wouldn't understand, apparently.

That's 4.6 million dollars that could of been contributed to government funded programs like decreasing homeless children in Meck county or affordable housing. Instead, it went to repairing city damages. Our city budget went to poo after that event. These are things you don't participate in or care about. 

You know good and well it wouldn't have been used for affordable housing OR decreasing homeless children in Meck county. Besides, 4.7 million is a blip on any large city budget, something like 0.7% of our 2017 budget. While it's terrible to have to waste money cleaning up the aftermath, it didn't throw our budget into a tailspin. Mismanagement has done that. To suggest otherwise is disingenuous. I know this because I do participate and pay my taxes. I see that we don't build enough affordable housing as I watch developers buy up and redevelop all of the existing affordable housing in a five mile radius of the city into condos, patio homes and apartments, and the city council signs off on it. It's just too financially attractive. Marginalizing and over-policing these people you pretend to care so deeply about is what leads to flash points like the protests. I hate that your concierge was injured, but I'm pretty sure you made it through unscathed. Sociopath...hah!

2 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

I get the money argument, but it's not like anybody else was making him an offer. He has a collusion case for a reason.

Do kinda wonder what would have happened if Ron and Marty had tried this while Richardson was still owner but declared that he was outside the day-to-day operations.

Would Tina Becker have mysteriously said no?

All I know is that it's useless to speculate on it. There's no way to know and we can ascribe anything to the old regime -- after JR was exposed for what he was doing, it's not a hard leap to just about anything else we can come up with. Also, I've just found that following the money usually gets you to the actual answers. Like I said, our need at safety became big enough for us to say, "We'll take a chance here and break ranks with the other NFL teams and pick up Reid", while on the other side Reid and his agent got to see a contender team with a fair to middling offer for a short term contract while the rest of the League remained silent.

While I'd love to think it was altruism that won the day, it was probably opportunity, need and economics. Some fans might rankle at the pick-up, and maybe even leave, if the Panthers can make a real run at it, well... winning brings in the bucks like nothing else does.

18 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

There's really only one question I have with regard to the Reid signing. I know Hurney and Rivera say he was the best available safety. And that makes sense.

That said, would someone care to explain to me why he wasn't the "best available player" back when we signed Da'norris Searcy?

I get that the team sale wasn't final back then, but even so, Richardson was on his way out. And even if you cite Richardson as the reason, there was plenty of time during training camp. It's not like Searcy didn't get his first concussion until recently.

I don't know, but it sounds like Reid dropped his price.  He had other offers, they couldn't be much south of what he agreed to here.

3 minutes ago, Billy_T said:

Me either.

If E. Reid would stop using the black power fist & showing up at press conferences in #I'MWITHKAP shirts & bloviating his revisionist history of the last 400 years & not kneel during the national anthem....

....all the protest talk would go away.   There's always hope....

They can talk about it all they want, the players can wear whatever they want and the players can protest all they want. It doesn’t bother me at all. You obviously missed the message and direction of my post. Doesn’t surprise me. 

18 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

From a guy with better sources than you (Link)

And for the record, some of our resident board insiders heard the same thing.

Can you comprehend the things you read?

"A fringe player (defensive back Marcus Ball) mysteriously disappeared from the roster after raising his fist last September at the peak of anti-Donald Trump sentiment."

Again for you since you aren't actually reading any of this. He was signed to the practice squad immediately. Gantt didn't use inside connections to post the words above. He didnt use any info at all. He pulled it out of his ass to rile up sheep like yourself. He didnt disappear . That's the point. He was signed from practice squad for a single game due to injury and moved back immeciately due the signing of a veteran safety. Do you want to continue being ignorant just to keep up with the dumb statement you made?  You fell for the shallow easy drama yet again. 

On 10/3/2018 at 6:08 PM, Mr. Scot said:

Richardson had his proxy in Tina running the organization. It’s the reason why she didn’t stick around or get another job in the NFL since leaving the organization. 

Why training camp? The sale wasn’t official I think until the first or second week of July. Training camp is the 3rd and last week. If I had to guess people were getting a feel for Tepper. Prettt sure the first priority for me as a GM or HC with my new boss would be not to rock the boat in the first two weeks (although he should be been signed at he start of FA anyways)

13 hours ago, PanthersBigD said:

The man who was shot and DIED was Justin Carr. He's not "one guy". Rayquan Borum is charged with murder along with possession of a firearm by a felon. His trial starts in December. Prosecutors are not seeking the death penalty.

I'm not arguing or debating with anyone. I simply want people to remember the man who was killed while peacefully protesting and to not treat it glibly as if he was grazed by a bullet and survived.

Archived