• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Ace Boogie Newton passes Dan Marino

Jeremy Igo

1 minute ago, Carolina Cajun said:

Yes and no, the pace of their offense is modern NFL level.  They are actively trying to get as many offensive plays in as possible, and that is a modern NFL style.  Us milking the playclock down results in us having less offensive plays total to be able to accrue the massive numbers which is an 80s/90s strategy.  Make no mistake, high tempo also results in more yards which is why it's happening in the modern NFL.

And can just as easily have a negative effect. Or every team would do it all the time. How many teams run no huddle in normal game situations? And how often? 

Using it once or twice a game can be useful. Other than that, what’s the point? I want more points than the other team. Not yards. And putting a defense at a further disadvantage isn’t worth it. 

1 minute ago, Toomers said:

And can just as easily have a negative effect. Or every team would do it all the time. How many teams run no huddle in normal game situations? And how often? 

Using it once or twice a game can be useful. Other than that, what’s the point? I want more points than the other team. Not yards. And putting a defense at a further disadvantage isn’t worth it. 

You're yelling at a person that agrees with you.  My point is and was just that Cam isn't gonna put up the eye popping stats that some of the QB's now are doing because he's winning in a different way and frankly in a way that many people think is outdated (not including me as long as it results in success on the field like it has).  It's like doing a run and gun or a half court game in basketball (I'm using my limited knowledge of basketball).  Right now the fad is run and gun which results in more points, but good teams can still win with half court style.  In the same way, the NFL the fad is up tempo high paced games, we run a slow things down style and limit opportunities.  The slow things down style will always result in less points and total yardage (which was the point of the post comparing marino to cam).

4 minutes ago, ncsu12engr said:

He needs 2225 combined yards to pass Peyton who I assume is #1 through 8 years. He had 2235 yards the first 8 games this year, so this is definitely possible.

Pretty sure Drew Brees is going to wind up being the guy that holds all the passing records before he's done.

4 minutes ago, mc52beast said:

Turds like Cowherd will pick this apart, claim that Cam is nowhere close to Dan in talent

He's not the passer Marino was. Nobody is.

Of course, that's not all there is to being a quarterback (or in the broader sense, a football player).

But hey, people who take the path that Cowherd does are probably the same kind of people who would argue that Christian McCaffrey isn't valuable as a runningback.

(pretty much identical logic)

5 hours ago, Davidson Deac II said:

Different era, but still a very good accomplishment.

My man, you really couldn't even get past three words into your comment about this without rolling out the condescending "but...."?

Some of you struggle too hard to give the guy credit.

1 hour ago, Carolina Cajun said:

You're yelling at a person that agrees with you.  My point is and was just that Cam isn't gonna put up the eye popping stats that some of the QB's now are doing because he's winning in a different way and frankly in a way that many people think is outdated (not including me as long as it results in success on the field like it has).  It's like doing a run and gun or a half court game in basketball (I'm using my limited knowledge of basketball).  Right now the fad is run and gun which results in more points, but good teams can still win with half court style.  In the same way, the NFL the fad is up tempo high paced games, we run a slow things down style and limit opportunities.  The slow things down style will always result in less points and total yardage (which was the point of the post comparing marino to cam).

I can tell by the way you explain the game of football you know very little about it and never played the game compared to some of the members here, so why would I believe anything you post?

Cam is a Franchise QB if there every was one. Cares more about the fans than any QB ever says lots to me.

1 hour ago, OHYO said:

I can tell by the way you explain the game of football you know very little about it and never played the game compared to some of the members here, so why would I believe anything you post?

Cam is a Franchise QB if there every was one. Cares more about the fans than any QB ever says lots to me.

If you're referencing my initial post, people often use that style of font (alternating cap and lowercase) to make fun of an idiotic argument which is what I was doing since only idiots believe that cam isnt a franchise qb.  The mocking spongebob meme is what started it a few years back.  As for the other stuff I think I've been very clear, yes cam is not only a franchise qb but a HOF level QB, but he wont put up 4500 pass yards in a season under Rivera because Rivera will never use him in a fast paced offense that generates those kind of numbers.

7 hours ago, Carolina Cajun said:

Yes, but with how we slow the game down, milk the play clock, and run a coryell style, it's nothing revolutionary.  That is a 90's style game, and because of that, cam will never have the 4500 yard 30 TD seasons because he gets a lot fewer play calls than people like Brees (Sean Payton), Brady (Bill Belichick), or Goff (Sean McVay).  This leads to lower passing and total yard totals than some new guys, but it is still at a pace of a 80s or 90s team.

There really is no such thing as revolutionary in football.  There is only moderately different ways of doing the same thing.

Fwiw, The Redskins under Gibbs were probably the ultimate practitioners of Air Coryell and in their heyday averaged as many or more snaps per game than the Rams do now.  

8 hours ago, Toomers said:

Really? What’s Sean McVay running then? The 60s? 

Carolina run - pass.: 54% passing

Rams run pass: 52% passing

Seems like the new kid has an old plan as well.

I know right,..

I just looked up Dan Marino 1984, his highest yards season over 5000, again, much more of an accomplishment than these days with the rules the way they are,... Dan had 564 pass attempts, 35 average per game,...48 passing TDs, 64.2% completion rate-- Dan threw phasers downfield on the shoulder or spot of a receivers choosing before the routes were finished, threw guys open in timing,...

Joe Montana,... 1984, 432 attempts for 3630 yards, 64.9% completion rate,..and he had Jerry Rice,...27 attempts per game--- more like the Rams now.

Jared Goff--477 attempts, 3804 yards, 62.1% comp rate, 28 Tds---- 30 attempts per game,...Drew Brees is the man---39 attempts per game the last 3 years. 

Wow, that truly sounds like nothing that happens now--- except for the panzy rules of course. There was no flag for roughing the passer-- there were celebrations instead and segments predating "He got Jacked Up".

Otherwise--football is football and revisionists are all the same whether they talk about history politics or sports.

Archived