• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

If you can only fire one,who goes Hurney or Rivera?

panther4life

Who’s holding us back more?  

104 members have voted

1. 1. You can fire one who do you choose

5 minutes ago, Carl Spackler said:

DJ is the No. 1-graded rookie WR this year, per PFF. I'll venture a bet that his second year exceeds Benwikere's and Boston's, barring some sort of injury or unforeseen circumstances.

After more than a decade of trying, DJ is the only decent WR Hurney has ever drafted.   

Marty's well documented record drafting WRs is abysmal. 

It is hard to believe Norv Turner didn't have a crucial role to play in DJ being drafted by the Panthers.

1 minute ago, NanuqoftheNorth said:

After more than a decade of trying, DJ is the only decent WR Hurney has ever drafted.   

Marty's well documented record drafting WRs is abysmal. 

It is hard to believe Norv Turner didn't have a crucial role to play in DJ being drafted by the Panthers.

I wasn't really defending or admonishing Hurney, I was just saying I think DJ was a great pick and I think he'll be good. I hope he'll be good...

1 hour ago, trueblade said:

The logical move would be to bring in his own GM, and then let that person make the decision on Rivera.

This is actually the most correct answer.

If you hire a new GM (and you should) then you have to give him the power to make the decision on the head coach.

If you don't, then it's basically like Jerry Richardson never left.

3 minutes ago, bull123 said:

Benjamin

vern

shaq

funch

worley

ealy

matt fuggin Kalil 

all gettleman picks or moves...our 15-1 season was built with Marty’s draft picks 

That's a pretty stupid take.

The team was three years removed from Hurney when we went to the Super Bowl. 

12 minutes ago, bull123 said:

Benjamin

vern

shaq

funch

worley

ealy

matt fuggin Kalil 

all gettleman picks or moves...our 15-1 season was built with Marty’s draft picks 

Those "built by Marty picks" didnt do crap in terms of this team winning etc

Until Gettlemans moves in the draft

KK, Star, Trai Turner, Norwell

And FA moves with Ginn, Harper, Coleman, etc.

Those "built by Marty moves" were brought in by teams Marty built that became our darkest days in this organizations history.  After terrible FA moves

And ill top those Gettleman picks you mentioned with Hurneys

Amini

Fua

Terrell McClain

Pickles

Armanti

Brandon LaFail

Eric Norwell

Everrett Brown

Sherrod Martin

Corey Irvin

Joe Adams

1 hour ago, panther4life said:

Just to clarify. Do you think Hurney has learned nothing from his first tenure and time off? 

1 offseason is a small sample size I know. But he’s admitted to his past mistakes and has not repeated them yet. 

he might have, but this past offseason outside of picking the best WR on the board and the best CB available at the time was terrible. You saw him pull a Hurney with Gaulden. Ian Thomas might work out. He also ended up paying TD and Olsen. His FA acquisitions and the one trade were poo. Captain is still here. Track record may get better, but it's not working. Time to GTFO

Accepting that firing them both at the same time is off the table for this purpose you almost *have* to fire Hurney first.  I see the choice as risk management...which one of them can do the most damage through their incompetence?  

Yes I think Rivera can do damage by coaching like he's still playing football in the 80s / not knowing how to work a clock / not knowing when to gamble / not being able to evaluate his own talent to put the best players on the field in a timely manner.  He could cost us games, perhaps another season before he gets canned and there'd be a stink around like we had at the end of Fox's tenure.

I think Hurney could do *more* damage by falling back into flailing around trading away future 1st rounders to try to miraculously make a 2nd round splash (lol right), drafting like a chicken pecking a tic-tac-toe board made his picks, giving the wrong guys the wrong contracts because he's just not good at his job, or just generally putting together terrible talent to give Rivera to coach badly. 

You can clean up after Rivera screws up for another season or two *way* faster than you can Hurney going full retard again.  You can also cover up for an ineffective coach more easily by putting the right talent on the field than you can cover up for an awful GM by just coaching really really well (which I think we can all agree is not going to happen here)

The only situation I see where you fire Rivera first is if you think two things: that Hurney is a sufficient GM to build a steadily improving roster and that this year's roster with different coaching would have met expectations sufficiently to keep us from having this conversation right now.  I don't believe either of those things is true.

1 minute ago, bull123 said:

M Kalil tops all those 

Matt Kalil was a terrible move

But the RB move by Hurney tops it.

Both were good unlike Kalil

But having 2 of the top 5 highest paid RBs on the roster at one time completely Handcuffed this team.  And it didnt help giving Charles Godfrey top 5 Safety money as well.

Kalil is bad but we have atleast a little wiggle room.  Those moves Hurney made along with his draft failures drove this team to the darkest place its been in team history.  And we were drafting #1 overall 

Archived