• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

If you can only fire one,who goes Hurney or Rivera?

panther4life

Who’s holding us back more?  

104 members have voted

1. 1. You can fire one who do you choose

5 minutes ago, panther4life said:

I’m sure most would choose both, but curious to see who you think is holding us back more.

I think we should fire Hurney.  The morning of the 2nd round of the NFL draft. 

How many years has Hurney been the GM?  Best S under Hurney is what....Godfrey? 

Rivera has had three winning seasons in his eight-year career. Every one of the three came with rosters that were built by Dave Gettleman.

Basically, you can win with Rivera as coach if you have a strong enough GM to compensate for his weaknesses. Hurney isn't that guy.

Since I don't really want a coach whose weaknesses I have to work around, the best answer truly is to get rid of both of them, but if you have to choose one, no question you fire Hurney

I personally believe that many are holding Hurneys first stint against him. 

Hes improved upon pretty much every thing he did wrong in his first stint with the team. Mainly these 2 things. 

Overpaying wrong players ( strong argument to be made that was more so a JR move than Hurney).

Trading future first round picks  and reaching for need in the 2nd round and beyond.

I firmly believe Hurney has learned from these mistakes and in 1 offseason he’s admitted as much and shown improvement. 

Rivera however has not learned from his mistakes and continually repeats them. 

If we didn’t have a talented roster then I don’t think we could have lucked our way into a 6-2 start or lost so many games by 1 score or less. 

While im not opposed to cleaning house, I do believe Rivera is holding us back more so than anyone else.

I would add this one thing that I don't really think is debatable anymore.

Under no circumstances whatsoever do you keep both of them. Rivera and Hurney are a losing combination.

So with it established that you have to let one of them go, the debate becomes which one. The most valuable question to ask in that debate is this: Which one has had greater success without the other?

And it's not even close.

Rivera's record with Gettleman is not only (substantially) better than his record with Hurney; it's also better than Hurney's record with John Fox.

You keep the one that can be more successful without the other one. It's not a tough decision.

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

I would add this one thing that I don't really think is debatable anymore.

Under no circumstances whatsoever do you keep both of them. Rivera and Hurney are a losing combination.

So with it established that you have to let one of them go, the debate becomes which one. The most valuable question to ask in that debate is this: Which one has had greater success without the other?

And it's not even close.

Rivera's record with Gettleman is not only better than his record with Hurney; it's also better than Hurney's record with John Fox.

You keep the one that can be more successful without the other one. It's not a tough decision.

Just to clarify. Do you think Hurney has learned nothing from his first tenure and time off? 

1 offseason is a small sample size I know. But he’s admitted to his past mistakes and has not repeated them yet. 

Hurney. 

He's had a better 2018 than Rivera, but if you are going to remake an organization, you start at the top and work your way down.  Otherwise, you are eventually saddling a new GM with a coach he didn't pick, may not want, and may not see eye to eye with.  That just prolongs the transition process. 

My underlying assumption is that a some point in the next year or two, both will be gone, anyway.  It takes a good GM to survive an ownership change, and I don't think Hurney is on that level.

Archived