• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Spiking the ball on first down with 1:04 on the clock

panther4life

2 minutes ago, TheRed said:

That's on Cam for the throw for certain. But even moreso this many games it is a direct indictment on our staff that should be a hell of a lot more aware of the strengths and weaknesses of this offense and the roster. There's no way on this earth anyone that has watched our offense throughout this season should actually think an end zone fade to inconsistent at best Funchess out of all our receivers where he has to outhustle a DB with the game on the line was a play that would actually be successful. Be real here.

Obviously everyone should be calling a timeout there which is amazing it didnt happen. I have no problem with celebrating especially when I know Cam thrives on that energy but in that particular moment, it hampered our team and the first thing on his mind should be managing the game.

I stated in another thread it was a terrible play call because throwing the fade is not our game, to a terrible receiver no less, it made no sense. I only even brought that up because it was directly after the celebration/clock mismanagement.

11 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Calling the time out when the Saints ran up to the line and the defense clearly wasn't prepared is the more egregious issue.

The fact that the ESPN announcers saw that coming and our coaches didn't just makes it look all that much worse.

I thought wasting another 25 seconds after they picked up the first down to run it down to the 2 minute warning was another example.

11 minutes ago, TheRed said:

I'm not going to mince words here. Let's just take the gloves off. I've been following the Panthers since I was a teenager. Never in all those years with Delhomme or whoever was behind center do I ever recall so much as a whimper about players celebrating, win or lose. If you want to ignore what is right in front of your face that is your choice, but not everyone else has to do that. Especially considering we are in the year 2018.

I can understand the sensitivity, but perspective is also important here.

Most of the fans do not care that he celebrates. Hell, many celebrate with him.

However, the priority in that situation needed to be on calling the time out if we weren't going to run a play. If Cam called the time out and then celebrated you wouldn't hear a peep about it. 

7 minutes ago, Icege said:

I can understand the sensitivity, but perspective is also important here.

Most of the fans do not care that he celebrates. Hell, many celebrate with him.

However, the priority in that situation needed to be on calling the time out if we weren't going to run a play. If Cam called the time out and then celebrated you wouldn't hear a peep about it. 

If you're going to hold Cam accountable for what is going on out there on the field, why aren't you asking what our head coach was doing at that time besides looking off into the abyss by himself on the sideline like he always does?

The QB, and the head coach should be on the same page. We're 8 years in with Ron at the helm. Your QB should certainly be your field general so to speak. But your head coach with that many years of experience and situational understanding should already have the offense prepared for those kinds of scenarios. No amount of criticizing Newton or whoever for having the gall to celebrate can get around this fact. We've seen this staff regularly getting outcoached throughout this season.

28 minutes ago, TheRed said:

If you're going to hold Cam accountable for what is going on out there on the field, why aren't you asking what our head coach was doing at that time besides looking off into the abyss by himself on the sideline like he always does?

The QB, and the head coach should be on the same page. We're 8 years in with Ron at the helm. Your QB should certainly be your field general so to speak. But your head coach with that many years of experience and situational understanding should already have the offense prepared for those kinds of scenarios. No amount of criticizing Newton or whoever for having the gall to celebrate can get around this fact. We've seen this staff regularly getting outcoached throughout this season.

And people are calling for a change at the HC position... Have been for years. 

Cam did a dumb. He's not above reproach and shouldn't have done it. Pointing it out does not make one not woke, it just means Cam did a dumb, nothing more or less. Stop trying to turn it into something it isn't. 

QB dun goofed. Can't goof like that if you want to win. I like winning more than goofing. Too much goofing the past 6 games has lead to no winning, and that is not exclusive to Cam. 

Anyone who thinks is it OK to celebrate a first down with the clock running--one that causes your coach to burn a time out and puts your offense in a difficult situation--simply does not understand the game.  Celebrate TDs in the 2 minute drill--nothing else.  It is outrageous that anyone thinks a criticism of Cam's first down point is a criticism of player celebration misses the point completely. 

When celebrating puts your chances of scoring or winning at risk, don't celebrate.  How hard is that?

30 minutes ago, TheRed said:

Whataboutism doesnt work in politics nor sports. Nobody is saying that Rivera and Cam doing better are mutually exclusive. Both needed to be on top of it.

Ron did not go pose for the 1st down tho, and that is where the criticism of prioritizing celebrating over winning comes into play.

9 minutes ago, Cracka McNasty said:

And people are calling for a change at the HC position... Have been for years. 

Cam did a dumb. He's not above reproach and shouldn't have done it. Pointing it out does not make one not woke, it just means Cam did a dumb, nothing more or less. Stop trying to turn it into something it isn't. 

QB dun goofed. Can't goof like that if you want to win. I like winning more than goofing. Too much goofing the past 6 games has lead to no winning, and that is not exclusive to Cam. 

1 minute ago, Icege said:

Whataboutism doesnt work in politics nor sports. Nobody is saying that Rivera and Cam doing better are mutually exclusive. Both needed to be on top of it.

Ron did not go pose for the 1st down tho, and that is where the criticism of prioritizing celebrating over winning comes into play.

Criticize him for losing then. I've offered no excuses for Cam turning the ball over. I didn't make excuses for him after the Cleveland game either. He personally owns up to his failures every single time. He never attempts to shy away from accountability.

But this hand wringing over celebrating is just suuuuuper petty, and dumb at best. At worst it's racism, and I'm just going to call it like I see it. This is a sport for entertainment. These guys are paid millions to play a game. If watching a black athlete having the nerve to show emotion at a sporting event meant for enjoyment stirs up something inside you, you have issues you need to directly address with yourself. I'm sorry but that's the plain truth. Don't like it? Correct it. Or go watch golf or cricket or some poo.

2 minutes ago, TheRed said:

Criticize him for losing then. I've offered no excuses for Cam turning the ball over. I didn't make excuses for him after the Cleveland game either. He personally owns up to his failures every single time. He never attempts to shy away from accountability.

But this hand wringing over celebrating is just suuuuuper petty, and dumb at best. At worst it's racism, and I'm just going to call it like I see it. This is a sport for entertainment. These guys are paid millions to play a game. If watching a black athlete having the nerve to show emotion at a sporting event meant for enjoyment stirs up something inside you, you have issues you need to directly address with yourself. I'm sorry but that's the plain truth. Don't like it? Correct it. Or go watch golf or cricket or some poo.

I am not entertained when whoever, not mutually exclusive to the QB, celebrates a first down as the clock ticks away when everyone else is hustling to the line. It is not petty, it is a criticism of situational awareness and it's a fair criticism in my opinion. Hell, I have less issue with his interception because he's obviously injured and not playing up to his ability, but celebrating and doing a dance in a two minute drill instead of running your ass back to the line is a mental mistake that can cost your team precious seconds to score. 

Again, let me point out that it isn't a race thing, it's a situational awareness thing. KB was crucified for doing so last year or the year before, and you weren't defending him then. 

4 minutes ago, Cracka McNasty said:

I am not entertained when whoever, not mutually exclusive to the QB, celebrates a first down as the clock ticks away when everyone else is hustling to the line. It is not petty, it is a criticism of situational awareness and it's a fair criticism in my opinion. Hell, I have less issue with his interception because he's obviously injured and not playing up to his ability, but celebrating and doing a dance in a two minute drill instead of running your ass back to the line is a mental mistake that can cost your team precious seconds to score. 

Again, let me point out that it isn't a race thing, it's a situational awareness thing. KB was crucified for doing so last year or the year before, and you weren't defending him then. 

Actually I defended KB tooth and nail for the longest before his actions as a Buffalo Bill. Even when people were here laughing their asses off calling him a fat lazy POS after his mother passed away. I've also defended Luke here when some fans were speculating he was done. Don't even try to trot out that double standard bullshit playa.

6 minutes ago, Cracka McNasty said:

Newton celebrates first downs all the time. Pretty much nobody complains about it. Heck, plenty of people love it.

Likewise, nobody would have given a damn if it had happened last night at a time when we weren't up against the clock and needing to call a timeout.

As it actually occurred though...

Cam may have been celebrating but Ron was standing there on the sideline, with time outs to use and drool running out of his mouth, intently watching like the rest of us until he realized he was the head coach and might want to, you know, do his job and call TO. 

Just now, Mr. Scot said:

Newton celebrates first downs all the time. Pretty much nobody complains about it. Heck, plenty of people love it.

Likewise, nobody would have given a damn if it had happened last night at a time when we weren't up against the clock and needing to call a timeout.

As it occurred though, it was extremely poor timing.

It demonstrates a lack of situational awareness.

Seems to be a common trait of several individuals currently employed within the organization.

Archived