• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Spiking the ball on first down with 1:04 on the clock

panther4life

Am I wrong for thinking this was a terrible decision? 

Sacrificed a down in the name of preserving clock. Left with only 3 downs to go and used them up with 38 seconds to spare before we turned it over on downs.

Could easily be argued had we ran a play vs spiking it, we still may have not converted another first or even had enough time or gas left in us to get the extra 28-30 yards needed to attempt a FG.

That being said I still think from an analytical perspective, you’d rather have 4 chances at converting the down vs 3.

2 minutes ago, *FreeFua* said:

Understanding of the 2 minute drill/clock management is something Ron has never been able to or will ever able to figure out

Exaclty

this team absolutely refuses to the death to run a hurry up offense and Christ almighty I don’t know why

hell getting a play off with anything more than 3 seconds on the play clock is rare

What exactly is it with this fanbase and the weird urge to criticize players for celebrating?

Like you demand your team be successful but in your remarks you're almost more concerned with players having the nerve to actually show emotion on the field than with the fact they lost yet again. What is that?

We didnt have a chance anyway. Probably for the first time ever i was quite certain we would not drive the field with decent time remaining because our QB's arm is shot right now. We were out of timeouts and he cant even get the ball to the sidelines to make this a decent last ditch effort.

Just now, TheRed said:

What exactly is it with this fanbase and the weird urge to criticize players for celebrating?

Like you demand your team be successful but in your remarks you're almost more concerned with players having the nerve to actually show emotion on the field than with the fact they lost yet again. What is that?

Yea that was quite a showing. Waste 12 seconds making sure the other team knew we got a first down. Then proceeding to throw a lame pass the very next play for one of the easiest interceptions of Apple's career. Great look. Winning or even scoring was way down the priority list last night.

6 minutes ago, *FreeFua* said:

Understanding of the 2 minute drill/clock management is something Ron has never been able to or will ever able to figure out

We used to have a fantastic two minute offense. The problem is his shoulder and the play calling. I could have sworn in 2015 Cam had the ability to audible and hasn't since. Like Shula or Ron took offense to it.

9 minutes ago, TheRed said:

conservative christians, bruh. they'll criticize for celebrating but either won't show up until 2nd quarter or leave at halftime. Clampsun fans.

The time management was some of the worst I've seen. If you give Drew Brees and the Saints 1:40 left and no timeouts starting from the 25, you'll be shaking in your boots cause they are getting into field goal position 9/10 times. Most of the blame goes to Ron because it's pretty obvious that they don't practice this stuff much. Some goes to Cam because 1) he isn't practicing Wednesday which limits the cohesion of the offense to get the ball off quick and 2) he has never really excelled at getting over the ball and snapping quickly. I don't know why, but I feel like there is always a guaranteed 5 seconds that we sit behind center no matter what. 

But 90%, it's poor coaching. 

4 minutes ago, TheRed said:

No problem with celebrating a first down, but I do when it's the guy who has to call the next play doing it in the middle of a two minute drill.

That is a perfectly fair criticism in my opinion. Would have said the same poo if CMC, Smitty, Funchess, Wright, Olsen or anyone else were the ones wasting 12 seconds to showboat as the clock ticks away while the rest of the team is hurrying to get ready for the next play. It was not a very situationally aware thing to do. Hell, Benjamin did it last year and was crucified for it. Cam isn't above reproach and it was a dumb thing to do. 

8 minutes ago, Peppers90 NC said:

Yea that was quite a showing. Waste 12 seconds making sure the other team knew we got a first down. Then proceeding to throw a lame pass the very next play for one of the easiest interceptions of Apple's career. Great look. Winning or even scoring was way down the priority list last night.

That's on Cam for the throw for certain. But even moreso this many games it is a direct indictment on our staff that should be a hell of a lot more aware of the strengths and weaknesses of this offense and the roster. There's no way on this earth anyone that has watched our offense throughout this season should actually think an end zone fade to inconsistent at best Funchess out of all our receivers where he has to outhustle a DB with the game on the line was a play that would actually be successful. Be real here.

2 minutes ago, Cracka McNasty said:

No problem with celebrating a first down, but I do when it's the guy who has to call the next play doing it in the middle of a two minute drill.

That is a perfectly fair criticism in my opinion. Would have said the same poo if CMC, Smitty, Funchess, Wright, Olsen or anyone else were the ones wasting 12 seconds to showboat as the clock ticks away while the rest of the team is hurrying to get ready for the next play. It was not a very situationally aware thing to do. Hell, Benjamin did it last year and was crucified for it. Cam isn't above reproach and it was a dumb thing to do. 

I'm not going to mince words here. Let's just take the gloves off. I've been following the Panthers since I was a teenager. Never in all those years with Delhomme or whoever was behind center do I ever recall so much as a whimper about players celebrating, win or lose. If you want to ignore what is right in front of your face that is your choice, but not everyone else has to do that. Especially considering we are in the year 2018.

Archived