• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Speculation on Peppers' Return

SOJA

13 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Somebody who's not pushing 40.

No, we're not going to remake the entire line in a single offseason, but I do think it's time we got started.

I agree that it's past time we got started, but my point is that we're highly unlikely to find someone who can play at Peppers' level for a comparable price. His age would be relevant if we were talking long-term but it really doesn't matter on a one year deal. I'm also looking at the situation as if Mario is the only DE on the roster who is a lock to be here next year.

4 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I agree that it's past time we got started, but my point is that we're highly unlikely to find someone who can play at Peppers' level for a comparable price. His age would be relevant if we were talking long-term but it really doesn't matter on a one year deal. I'm also looking at the situation as if Mario is the only DE on the roster who is a lock to be here next year.

Lemme ask ya to think about it in this context.

How comfortable do you feel about bringing an older veteran back if Ron Rivera is still the head coach?

Listen im all for him being back.

He needs to be a rotational pass rusher. THATS IT.

But with our situation 

We had No Other relevant solid DE ane was thrusted into playing more than he shouldve.

Him im a few snap limit, good

Anything else, Bad

He's solid Depth.  Bring in 1-2 young guys this year (cough cough Rashan Gary and Clowney cough cough) and have him as the last guy for depth

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

Lemme ask ya to think about it in this context.

How comfortable do you feel about bringing an older veteran back if Ron Rivera is still the head coach?

If we bring back Ron then it really doesn't matter. Thats all the confirmation we need to know that the new boss is the same as the old boss. Despite all the talk about winning, winning isn't the priority.

32 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

If we bring back Ron then it really doesn't matter. Thats all the confirmation we need to know that the new boss is the same as the old boss. Despite all the talk about winning, winning isn't the priority.

Follow me a little further down the rabbit hole though.

Let's say we keep Rivera but we pair him with a better GM than Marty Hurney. That GM is going to need to try and do some things to counter Rivera's tendencies.

One of my options: Take away his favorite toys.

Put together a roster that has players "of a certain age" only where it's absolutely warranted. The idea being to not give Rivera the option as favoring lesser veterans over more talented younger players.

Basically, lead Ron not into temptation.

27 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Follow me a little further down the rabbit hole though.

Let's say we keep Rivera but we pair him with a better GM than Marty Hurney. That GM is going to need to try and do some things to counter Rivera's tendencies.

One of my options: Take away his favorite toys.

Put together a roster that has players "of a certain age" only where it's absolutely warranted. The idea being to not give Rivera the option as favoring lesser veterans over more talented younger players.

Basically, lead Ron not into temptation.

You don't hang onto a coach who requires this type of hand holding. If we hang onto Ron them the Tepper era is off to a horrible start. 

Honestly, of we hang onto Ron I have to think that we've come to the conclusion that Cam is shot and we're tanking for next year's much better QB class.

18 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

You don't hang onto a coach who requires this type of hand holding. If we hang onto Ron them the Tepper era is off to a horrible start. 

Honestly, of we hang onto Ron I have to think that we've come to the conclusion that Cam is shot and we're tanking for next year's much better QB class.

I don't see the point of keeping a coach you have to work around rather than working through either.

Unfortunately, that's a genuine possibility right now.

3 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I don't see the point of keeping a coach you have to work around rather than working through either.

Unfortunately, that's a genuine possibility right now.

Tanking for Tua or Fromm is the only way it makes sense to me. I just have no idea what the prognosis on Cam's shoulder is, but even if it's worst case scenario I don't think the answer is in this year's draft.

1 minute ago, Hammerin'Cam1 said:

What you are saying is, if Tepper doesnt fire everybody the first opportunity he has to do so he doesn't care about winning lol that's a hot take and a half right there

Yes, considering that Hurney tanked the team his first go round and Rivera has failed. You don't keep a coach who is on an 8 game losing streak and has gone 6-10 in two of the last three years. That's loser poo. That's the Bengals.

Archived