• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Cam Newton’s future interesting read from David Newton

raleigh-panther

3 hours ago, Growl said:

if you need a QB in 2020, you don't want to wait for 2020.

Preparations have to start being made now. Its textbook proactive vs reactive.

That’s not the way I’m looking at it. It’s been discussed the Qb class this year is mediocre while 2020 is much better. We need talent on the oline so any qb can be successful. This gives us time to see if Cam can rebound or not next year while also preparing for the future if he does not. We need a functioning offensive line for ANY Qb. That to me is being proactive not reactive. 

What do you think we should do with the Qb situation this draft and offseason? 

12 minutes ago, TheRumGone said:

That’s not the way I’m looking at it. It’s been discussed the Qb class this year is mediocre while 2020 is much better. We need talent on the oline so any qb can be successful. This gives us time to see if Cam can rebound or not next year while also preparing for the future if he does not. We need a functioning offensive line for ANY Qb. That to me is being proactive not reactive. 

scroll back a few pages to my initial post

The perfect answer to this will be to Sign Kap and let Cam get healthy..here's the thing...Kap can start in this league and I don't think he will go out there and fall on his face if given a full offseason.  So sign Kap to a short contract and let Cam get healthy, if Kap comes out and is mediocre, you ride him until Cam comes back and is healthy..if Kap comes out and tears it up and outplays Cam..you will be paying the future of the franchise one way or another and you will have not invested a draft pick for the "relative" future of the franchise...somebody brought up Eli...i think the NYG would be a perfect spot for Cam...they just wouldn't be able to keep saquon, OBJ and Cam, but it's cool to dream

6 hours ago, TheRed said:

Geez, that article is all over the place. David Newton is really trying to ratchet up the impending doom rhetoric.

"Hey, did you know that Andrew Luck guy missed a whole season???" *cue overly dramatic music*

Cam needs his shoulder back to 95%. The Panthers can't win if they can't throw the ball deep. The entire reason for getting more speed on the field was to stretch vertically and horizontally to create efficiencies in the run game. If Cam can't throw the ball deep, for all intents and purposes, he is useless. 

46 minutes ago, TheRumGone said:

Yep, the thing to do is focus on building the trenches on both sides, get a somewhat capable backup QB and cross fingers and hope for the best with Cams recovery.  Then for 2020 we see where we're at, if its healthy Cam, wonderfull!  If its draft a QB, ok, at least we addressed the lines, have weapons and are putting him in a position to succede.

4 hours ago, Growl said:

if you need a QB in 2020, you don't want to wait for 2020.

Preparations have to start being made now. Its textbook proactive vs reactive.

Proactive would have been one or two years ago.

Panthers are definitely in the reactive stage, having already blown the 2018 season due to a lack of a credible backup for Cam.

The only question is, does the team come up with a solution for 2019 or not?

19 minutes ago, NanuqoftheNorth said:

Proactive would have been one or two years ago.

Panthers are definitely in the reactive stage, having already blown the 2018 season due to a lack of a credible backup for Cam.

The only question is, does the team come up with a solution for 2019 or not?

Again, to what end? A credible backup? For what reason?

Cam is going to be the starter next season. If his shoulder doesn't last the entire season, then it will be time to move on.

We aren't in the market for a backup at that point. Were in the market for a successor.

The whole "find a competent guy who can come in and win some games" is a fine, logical sounding retort that people cling because it sounds so darn reasonable.

But it won't be where the Panthers are at.

getting some mike Glennon who will come in and bring you an 8-8 season and out of the range of a blue chip replacement is of no benefit to this organization.

Here is reality folks. 

The last two years, Cam's shoulder has been an issue. I'd easily argue this last was worse than the season before, as far as his shoulder holding up. 

After 2 years of shoulder issues, and no guarantee of no shoulder issues, the Panthers offense should not have to depend on how well or not, his shoulder is managed.

Norv Turner's offenses are QB friendly. 

We need a QB that the coaches are going feel comfortable to lead the offense. 

Just now, NanuqoftheNorth said:

For the same reason the Eagles and Patriots always seem to have a credible backup, they want to continue to win games when their starting QB gets injured.

yes but I'm dealing in statistical likelihoods, not rare aberrations.

Question.........do you think Cam's shoulder injury is due to his run active strategy or from his throwing mechanics?....

.....or perhaps a combination of the two?

What if any has this organization said about that?

Or could he be working out in a manner that can damage the shoulder I wonder?............I know a ton of guys who have ruined their rotator cuffs with overhead lifting and pull down movements done improperly. That's only speculation but it can be a factor too......

2 hours ago, blackcat said:

Sign Fitzmagic, problem solved.

2 hours ago, NanuqoftheNorth said:

Temporary fix at best.  Even that is debatable, especially when considering Fitz's propensity for interceptions. 

Unfortunately, he's probably going to be out of our price range, as scary as that sounds.

Archived