• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Can this guy be a legit player in the NFL?

yasuhara2241

This guy had some amazing numbers at the combine: 

40: 4.67 (beat Bosa)

3 Cone: 7.14 (beat Josh Allen)

In college, he had sack numbers of 7.5, 10, 7, 7.5. He also had great bend and take off in college. 

Here's his combine: http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-combine/0ap3000000924310/Marquis-Haynes-full-2018-NFL-Scouting-Combine-workout 

Now, negatives are he's undersized and a little small. 

Just youtube is college highlights, they seem very impressive. The main issue is that he absolutely showed us nothing last year.

So can Marquis Haynes be a player for the Panthers with us going to more 3-4 looks? 

The speed and quickness was never the question.

He looked good in the mini camps ect getting us all excited.

But its his size.  you compared him to Bosa and Allen up there, but those guy are bigger (30 pounds heavier) and stronger (put up around 6 more reps in the bench)

Haynes got bulldozed easily.

Now I do think he will do, much, much better as a 3-4 OLB, where he can truely line putside on the edge and use that speed and quickness.

He will still need to bulk uo some, but this could be a breakout year as long as he picks up the D.

*also to note, he was recruited to UNC as a edge OLB type.  He committed there, but was not very good academically, tried the prep route and still couldn't get in before ending up in Ole Miss via the Juco route

2 minutes ago, stbugs said:

He better. We left a tackle that was the top backup (like Moton) on the board who had a 2nd/3rd round grade. I hated the Gaulden pick but this one frustrated me more because we knew we had an OL need with Norwell, Williams and Kalil and Haynes was a square peg in 4-3. 

We also traded up to get him so we definitely saw something that we liked. 

1 minute ago, ncfan said:

The speed and quickness was never the question.

He looked good in the mini camps ect getting us all excited.

But its his size.  you compared him to Bosa and Allen up there, but those guy are bigger (30 pounds heavier) and stronger (put up around 6 more reps in the bench)

Haynes got bulldozed easily.

Now I do think he will do, much, much better as a 3-4 OLB, where he can truely line putside on the edge and use that speed and quickness.

He will still need to bulk uo some, but this could be a breakout year as long as he picks up the D.

*also to note, he was recruited to UNC as a edge OLB type.  He committed there, but was not very good academically, tried the prep route and still couldn't get in before ending up in Ole Miss via the Juco route

Just was comparing numbers of the 40 and 3 cone. But I agree, the issue was that once a Tackle got his hands on Haynes, he wasn't getting away. I also didn't see the burst off the ball like he had in college. I am hoping he has the breakout year. That would be much needed. 

He had over a year to bulk up...  Really want to know what he weights now.  At 255 he would be a perfect OLB.  Efe Obada  is a perfect 3-4 OLB... 6’6 and 265 LBs.  We are in desperate need of 3-4 DE.  Someone who is 6’3 and 310lbs...  currently Big Vern is our starter.

3 minutes ago, yasuhara2241 said:

Just was comparing numbers of the 40 and 3 cone. But I agree, the issue was that once a Tackle got his hands on Haynes, he wasn't getting away. I also didn't see the burst off the ball like he had in college. I am hoping he has the breakout year. That would be much needed. 

Ill have to look at the film, but seems in college he was lined a little wider vs tucked in more.  Allowing his burst to get off before a OT could get a hand on him, kind of similar to some OLBs in a sense.

In our traditional 4-3 he was closer to the OT, easier for them to get a  hand on him

He was selected when Henry was diving into a bottle of scotch.  RR sold Hurney on him that morning of the draft.  He was talking about it in the presser.  But for the life of me I’m not sure RR had a plan for him.  

Mid we go to a 3-4 he will help.  If not I fear it will be a wasted pick.  Especially since we trade a 5th round pick to go get him.  Wtf.  

14 hours ago, Black&BlueBubba said:

He was selected when Henry was diving into a bottle of scotch.  RR sold Hurney on him that morning of the draft.  He was talking about it in the presser.  But for the life of me I’m not sure RR had a plan for him.  

Eric Washington talked about it. He stated in no uncertain terms that the plan was for him to play DE in our 4-3 system.

Archived