• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

So when we line up in the 3-4...

rayzor

19 minutes ago, Moo Daeng said:

Kuechly is the very last player I'm concerned about in the 3-4. No reason he will have any trouble.

He will still be good, I just don't think he benefits from a 3-4 defense. I expect his tackles to go down and he will see a lot more blocks this year from O lineman.

1 hour ago, black-panthers said:

Shaq 34 OLB and Haynes in the middle?? Wtf you lose ur mind?

Why not? Haynes and Shaq are both good off the edge, but Shaq has had the NFL snaps. Besides, inside backers in the 3-4 are often blitzed (at least one of them). This would put him rushing regardless, and I firmly believe he could work an A gap just fine. If Haynes shows something over Shaq on the outside in the 3-4 during camp, find, put Haynes out there, move Shaq inside. Either way. But tentatively, based on what we know RIGHT NOW, Haynes inside makes the most sense on paper.

Shaq isn't a 3/4 old.. He isn't big enough and won't get big enough.. 3/4 outside LB are usually small DE's .. Von Miller, Kalil Mack, Clay Matthews type 6'3 and up pushing 250+.. They have to be able to take on OT straight up.. Shaq was a safety/LB in college.. That means he is on the smallish LB size.. In a 3/4 front he would have to move to ILB ..

I think the key point will be who can do both.  As @rayzor pointed out Rivera want to be able to use both schemes without having to substitute. I believe this is why Irvin was signed because of his versatility.   He will probably be able to play DE in the 4-3 and LB in the 3-4.  

Our young players Cox, Haynes and others need to step up and fill roles when their rotation is up.

I am not one to believe Rivera is trying to do this to save his job.  I think he is working on ways to stop the offenses of today.  He made a great point.  If we are strictly 4-3 offenses have a much easier task to running their offense if we line up the same way every play.  Switching it up makes them make adjustments at the line and creates more confusion.  Furthermore, we can line up in a 4-3 and switch quickly to 3-4 as the offense is setting up.

Rivera is a good defensive coach and if there is ever going to be a coach to change a defense around.  I am glad we have Rivera. 

11 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Honestly, yes. It's going to be more wear and tear on Luke. Ray Lewis has always been very vocal about his dislike of the 3-4.

Agreed.  That’s why I think we need to look hard at a guy like Dexter Lawrence even though we have Poe. And I don’t trust Butler at all.   If we go to a 3-4 we need a guy up front occupying multiple people so Luke can roam free.  If not we take our biggest asset on defense and make it a weekness.  

There are a couple other NT in draft but not to the ability of Dexter

10 hours ago, black-panthers said:

Shaq is a MLB. The 34 will benefit him and Poe the most out of anyone else. 

DE: Rashan Gary / Butler

NT: Poe

DE: KK

OLB: Addison / Cox

MLB: Luke / Andre

MLB: Shaq / Carter

OLB: Irvin / Haynes

I think everyone will be astonished by Shaq next year, contract year and switching to ILB will light a fire under him. I fully expect him to get pro bowl numbers. I would love to see a combo of Brian Burns/ Montez Sweat and Dexter Lawrence. 

Archived