• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

PI Review Rule not settled

trueblade

"So with six weeks until the first training camps open, the competition committee must decide whether to impose an unwanted obligation on coaches or risk a significant rise in stoppages during a game's most dramatic moments."

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/26937471/who-trigger-review-pass-interference-why-nfl-coaches-worried

I think the competition committee should leave it on the coaches. The coaches might not want it, but making tough decisions, game altering decisions, kind of comes with the gig.

Some coaches feel like they already have enough problem-solving/logic riddles to work out in crucial situations. That’s a ridiculous perspective. In an age of analytics and specialization, having this option at your disposal is ideal.

They need to drop it entirely. The NFL still can't fully define a catch and trying to take it out of the realm of being a subjective call has just made it all the worse. How the hell are they going to objectively define a PI when they can't define a catch?

17 minutes ago, GRWatcher said:

They need to drop it entirely. The NFL still can't fully define a catch and trying to take it out of the realm of being a subjective call has just made it all the worse. How the hell are they going to objectively define a PI when they can't define a catch?

Exactly. It has been and always will be a subjective call, same as holding on the offensive line. If you review everything, you are constantly going to be handing out PI calls. It's absurd.

6 minutes ago, OneBadCat said:

Don't drop it all. Get their ass in gear, fix the rule and let the plays be reviewable. Anything to keep the refs from deciding the games. This is a huge opportunity to move the sport forward and make a fairer game.

The problem is that having the refs decide the games will always happen when you have reviews of inherently subjective calls. It would be the same equivalent of the NBA allowing video reviews of all hand checking calls. It isn't going to move the sport forward, it is going to make it damn near unwatchable 

14 minutes ago, OneBadCat said:

Don't drop it all. Get their ass in gear, fix the rule and let the plays be reviewable. Anything to keep the refs from deciding the games. This is a huge opportunity to move the sport forward and make a fairer game.

I don't think the refs or coaches can handle another task on the field, but I could possibly get behind the "eye in the sky" review. It's at least conceivable for the NFL since it's play based instead of continuous. Coming from HQ, it could be somewhat regulated to keep games from ballooning.

14 minutes ago, fortyrod said:

I don't think the refs or coaches can handle another task on the field, but I could possibly get behind the "eye in the sky" review. It's at least conceivable for the NFL since it's play based instead of continuous. Coming from HQ, it could be somewhat regulated to keep games from ballooning.

I guess my point here is that although this blew up because of the Saints(which was awesome and hilarious), it brought a huge problem in the NFL to the forefront. Pass interference penalties are a huge problem in the game and have too much impact. It does need to be addressed and it would go along way for the fans if we held the officials accountable to their mistakes. And after being a Panthers fan my whole life I can confidently recount many many times where one review could have changed the game and or a season.

This kind of rule change levels the playing field for a franchise like us. We have been doormats to the officials and NFL narratives for years. You only have to look at SB 50, or 2014 playoffs vs SF to see for yourself.

People say human error is part of the game but that is just an excuse to see a team get screwed. The officiating should always be progressing. And if it's makes the game a little longer than so be it. If it keeps Cam from being head hunted or Eric Reid being unfairly flagged DPI because a ref doesn't like him then I don't care. I care more about the Panthers winning than an extra 20 minutes.

All they have to do is single out the penalties that are challengeable and or eliminate PI as a spot foul.

Archived