• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Film Room: Rams 3rd Down Offense

ellis

There’s a lot to unpack when scouting out an opponent. We’re trying to examine a little bit of the Rams at a time here this week. Today, we look at their third down offense. It was an issue in the Super Bowl, as has been well-chronicled. 

What did the Pats do? Does Carolina have the necessary pieces to replicate it? Here’s a closer look from our perspective.

Link: https://onepantherplace.com/?p=2651

I think you’ll see a different looking Rams team, of course. Gurley should more of a factor. They ran a ton of screen game with him in 2017. He’s a threat there. Cooper Kupp missed the Super Bowl. He’s back. 

They don’t have the most explosive playmakers at tight end. It’s a solid group, but nothing that overly-concerns me. That should free up 59 to bracket Kupp in coverage. 

20 minutes ago, ellis said:

I think you’ll see a different looking Rams team, of course. Gurley should more of a factor. They ran a ton of screen game with him in 2017. He’s a threat there. Cooper Kupp missed the Super Bowl. He’s back. 

They don’t have the most explosive playmakers at tight end. It’s a solid group, but nothing that overly-concerns me. That should free up 59 to bracket Kupp in coverage. 

Do we want Kuechly on Kupp? I'd think a nickel would make more sense. Otherwise we'd have a situation similar to the Bill's preseason game

45 minutes ago, Navy_football said:

Do we want Kuechly on Kupp? I'd think a nickel would make more sense. Otherwise we'd have a situation similar to the Bill's preseason game

I think he can help in coverage underneath. I didn’t mean to assert that he would be playing man coverage against a wide receiver all game. That’s not optimal utilization for 59.  

55 minutes ago, mc52beast said:

Something else the Pats did was they didn’t line up early and allow McVay to tell Goff what to do. I hope Ron knows this and takes advantage like Bill did. Goff is not great at reading defenses

That’s a very good point.

Archived