• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Deangelo Williams Mad at Panthers Coaching Staff

AceBoogie

Just now, AceBoogie said:

Another false narrative that simply isn’t true. Cam was still performing at a high level well past week 8 last year. 

nope.  as soon as the league figured out he couldn't throw the ball downfield it was over.   it was pretty pitiful while we were winning too.   maybe you don't remember all the norv/ron hate on the board over timeouts taken, getting the play in on time, clock management..., while we were winning, and how we all realized those things weren't going to allow us to be great.  those issues turned out to be on cam also, and not the staff.  cam shouldn't have been out there.   compensation is a real thing for injured athletes.      

1 hour ago, 1of10Charnatives said:

This is true but keep in mind that if we wind up going the Allen route, it will only be true for a few seasons, not his whole career. At some point he would have to be paid in line with his production at the position, and considering how important Qb is to winning, it’s not the position you want to plan to pinch pennies at long term.

Actually, that's how a lot of teams are proceeding right now.

It's a pretty common practice in the NFL these days to draft a young quarterback and then try to build a dominant team around him while he's still on his rookie contract.

Allen wasn't drafted, but if the team felt he was good enough, they could use the same approach.

That, or they could just do what others are doing and draft somebody.

Just now, Mr. Scot said:

Actually, that's how a lot of teams are proceeding right now.

It's a pretty common practice in the NFL these days to draft a young quarterback and then try to build a dominant team around him while he's still on his rookie contract.

Allen wasn't drafted, but if the team felt he was good enough, they could use the same approach.

That, or they could just do what others are doing and draft somebody.

Right, very aware of this. Just saying that I don’t think the Chiefs are going to trade away Mahomes rather than pay him market value once his rookie deal is up.

It just occurred to me that this newish reality is probably creating a previously nonexistent type of pressure on young high performing qb’s like Mahomes and Wentz to win a ring during their rookie deal, because once they get paid, that’s a couple of pro bowl salaries less their gm is gonna have to surround them with talent.

Just now, 1of10Charnatives said:

Right, very aware of this. Just saying that I don’t think the Chiefs are going to trade away Mahomes rather than pay him market value once his rookie deal is up.

It just occurred to me that this newish reality is probably creating a previously nonexistent type of pressure on young high performing qb’s like Mahomes and Wentz to win a ring during their rookie deal, because once they get paid, that’s a couple of pro bowl salaries less their gm is gonna have to surround them with talent.

I don't really like the model that much myself. I get why teams are doing it, but that doesn't really lend itself to sustained success. That's a process that ultimately leads to "Oh sure, we suck now but hey remember when we won a Super Bowl like, six years ago? Those were good times, huh?"

On the flipside, the model of paying your quarterback eleventy jillion dollars and not having enough salary cap space to build a solid roster around him isn't exactly successful either. I think it was last year that someone pointed out the teams with the six highest quarterback salaries all had one thing in common. They missed the playoffs.

Truth is, only one or two teams really seem to have been able to build a continuously sustainable model. The teams in question have in common championship pedigrees that make the process a lot easier.

Sadly, that's not something you can just go out and get.

15 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I don't really like the model that much myself. I get why teams are doing it, but that doesn't really lend itself to sustained success. That's a process that ultimately leads to "Oh sure, we suck now but hey remember when we won a Super Bowl like, six years ago? Those were good times, huh?"

On the flipside, the model of paying your quarterback eleventy jillion dollars and not having enough salary cap space to build a solid roster around him isn't exactly successful either. I think it was last year that someone pointed out the teams with the six highest quarterback salaries all had one thing in common. They missed the playoffs.

Truth is, only one or two teams really seem to have been able to build a continuously sustainable model. The teams in question have in common championship pedigrees that make the process a lot easier.

Sadly, that's not something you can just go out and get.

See that’s one thing that sucks about the present situation with Cam. We are paying a perfectly fair rate to a franchise qb  without breaking the bank. We were in great position to surround both a franchise qb and generational talent at MLB with players that could help them win a championship. Cam was showing signs first half of the season last year of adapting to a new offense that might let him become more of a pocket passer and not risk his body so much, but it turned out to be too late. The wheels fell off and now we’re stuck wondering if he can return to any kind of effective form and stay healthy or move on.

12 minutes ago, 1of10Charnatives said:

See that’s one thing that sucks about the present situation with Cam. We are paying a perfectly fair rate to a franchise qb  without breaking the bank. We were in great position to surround both a franchise qb and generational talent at MLB with players that could help them win a championship. Cam was showing signs first half of the season last year of adapting to a new offense that might let him become more of a pocket passer and not risk his body so much, but it turned out to be too late. The wheels fell off and now we’re stuck wondering if he can return to any kind of effective form and stay healthy or move on.

I keep going back to the question of what would have happened had we acquired Norv Turner years ago.

Archived