• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

2020 Panthers draft

Cary Kollins

Needs (in the order I see them---since you can't build a new team in one draft, you have to be realistic--you can't say "QB" if there is no line.

1.  Center---Paradis has been abysmal.

2. Defensive Tackle (DT/DE)---Short and Poe are all we have.   Love should retire, Butler is not playing as well as everyone here says he is, and McCoy could be done.  We are old.

3. Wide Receiver---We need one more stud. Samuel is a slot.  Moore is probably a WR2.

4. Free Safety---Boston cannot tackle and seems to go to great links making people think he is trying to tackle.

5.  Defensive End---without knowing the D we will be running, it is hard to say what kind of player we need--

6. Guard---While Van Roten is serviceable, we need a LG who can pass block, drive block, and pull.  VR does 1 well.

7.  Nose Tackle--Poe is all we have.

Some will argue, "Where is the QB?  Where is the LT?"

I would argue that they could be on the roster.  We need to fix the problems above before evaluating QB.  We need to let Daley and Little develop at LT and compete.  Perhaps the loser can compete at LG.

38 minutes ago, firefox1234 said:

We've been doing the DLine or the entire defense no favor prioritizing them. I would go full knee jerk and just prioritize on OLine.

I don't disagree, but if a guy like Auburn's Derrick Brown is available when you're picking and the top OT are gone (and the couple that are worth it will likely be gone within the Top 10) then you take the DT because he's a lot better than any of the available remaining OL picks.

"Best player available" isn't a 100% effective strategy, but its always the best strategy in the 1st round... especially if you are picking in the top half of the 1st round.

2 hours ago, stbugs said:

Aren't? 7 teams have 3 or fewer wins. That's almost 1/4th of the NFL. That's a lot of teams to be this bad after 12 games. There's also another 4 teams at 4-8. We aren't getting an "awesome" pick. First, we have to go 5-11 or we will be picking in the mid-teens. If we go 5-11, I think there's a good chance we get to pick 10 or possibly better. I think we have the lowest SOS of the current 5-7 teams, but only lower than a few teams below 5-7, so we need someone like LAC or Denver or Atlanta to win 1 or 2 more.

5-11 is looking more and more possible every game. It doesn’t get easier than Washington at home.

3 hours ago, stbugs said:

Aren't? 7 teams have 3 or fewer wins. That's almost 1/4th of the NFL. That's a lot of teams to be this bad after 12 games. There's also another 4 teams at 4-8. We aren't getting an "awesome" pick. First, we have to go 5-11 or we will be picking in the mid-teens. If we go 5-11, I think there's a good chance we get to pick 10 or possibly better. I think we have the lowest SOS of the current 5-7 teams, but only lower than a few teams below 5-7, so we need someone like LAC or Denver or Atlanta to win 1 or 2 more.

Any single move up the draft chart is better than a useless Ron Rivera "look at me how great am I!" win.

Archived