• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

My take on Cam Newton

ellis

The "financial burden" from the Panthers side of it is only part of the equation though.

There's an amount that the Panthers are willing to pay. Right now, that's one year, 21 million dollars.

Is Newton willing to play under that contract without any future guarantees? Doesn't sound like it.

If he's not, and the Panthers aren't willing to offer more, then unless one side caves they're headed for a split.

Maybe it isn't the most ideal decision from the football side, but the football side isn't all there is to it and you can't always get what you hope for 

14 minutes ago, ellis said:

I speak not as a fan, but as a football observer. There are so many possibilities with Cam, McCaffrey, DJ, Samuel. They were just scratching the surface early in 2018. And there were flashes of it in 2017, but that was before DJ arrived. And it was also CMC’s rookie year, he was still learning and growing at that point.

So, yes, subjectively I would like to see those guys together in the offense. I think it would be remarkably entertaining and prolific. And objectively, I think you could design some really great concepts around at all. But the foot has to heal. I totally get that. And, the OL must improve. I know some would argue that getting rid of Cam’s financial burden would allow for that. But there again, who’s your quarterback at that point?

if we're smart for the first time ever, we could solidify the inside of the line in the draft.   i just don't know if we will be.  if marty is making the decisions i kinda doubt it.   it would make a big difference and be cheap

Only thing I disagree with is calling his injuries “overhyped”. Since Week 16 last season, he will have missed an entire 16 game season due to injury at the end of this season. That’s not overhyping his injuries. He has also lost the last 8 games he has started. If you want to say his injuries contributed to those losses, that’s not overhyping his injuries.

I would say it’s more accurate that if his injuries were taken more seriously sooner (the shoulder at the end of 2016, the foot in 2019) that maybe he would be healthier now. But saying his injuries are “overhyped” is just plainly ignoring the facts. 

5 minutes ago, hepcat said:

Only thing I disagree with is calling his injuries “overhyped”. Since Week 16 last season, he will have missed an entire 16 game season due to injury at the end of this season. That’s not overhyping his injuries. He has also lost the last 8 games he has started. If you want to say his injuries contributed to those losses, that’s not overhyping his injuries.

I would say it’s more accurate that if his injuries were taken more seriously sooner (the shoulder at the end of 2016, the foot in 2019) that maybe he would be healthier now. But saying his injuries are “overhyped” is just plainly ignoring the facts. 

Some folks in the media were talking about Kyle Allen replacing Cam Newton as the franchise quarterback. Also, a big factor in those losses last season was a nonexistent pass rush and terrible third and long defense. He was efficient in the Seattle game, and that was lost by the defense. He picked apart the number one defense in the league last season in Baltimore. He put up 35 points in one half vs TB with great playcalling and great effort from his complementary pieces. But he also made some tremendously smart, tight-window throws. He ran, and ran often over the first 3/4 of last year. 

Overhyped? Yes, I believe many on the national level have overhyped what he’s dealing with. I think the proper amount of hype is to be generally concerned about how his foot will respond from surgery. And yes, long-term, the shoulder will probably be an issue again. But over the next 3 to 4 years, maybe there’s a window for another championship run.

But I respect your opinion man.

2 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

Is Newton willing to play under that contract without any future guarantees? Doesn't sound like it.

Doesn't sound like it?  Based on what?  Has there been a single source citing Newton's camp saying he is not willing to play out this year without an extension?

I know, I know.  You won't actually respond to this, because you see me as just saying "SEZ YOU" when all I am doing is asking you to back up your statements.  

Just now, Shocker said:

Dealing with a QB1 thats injured, so the Panthers would totally be on board with drafting an injured college QB.

Makes sense.

3 hours ago, ellis said:

I have to admit, I’ve been laughing about this post for most of the morning.

Honest question. How much easier is it to understand, scout, recognize...etc...what you are seeing BECAUSE you actually played 3-4 years of HS level football? As opposed to the 95% of people on here who have never put a helmet on. 

I laughed too. But if that HS football experience is a joke, what does that say for the tons of analysis posted on here from guys who never stepped on a field? 

31 minutes ago, Tepper's Chest Hair said:

Dealing with a QB1 thats injured, so the Panthers would totally be on board with drafting an injured college QB.

Makes sense.

It really would be absolutely baffling to move on from a injured NFL MVP QB to spend a high-mid 1st round pick on an injured college QB.

1 hour ago, Mr. Scot said:

That mock has them passing on Justin Herbert to take Tua.

I'd roll the dice on Tua and his injuries before taking Herbert. I end up watching a decent amount of Oregon football being two hours behind the east coast and I'll be shocked if he's not a bust. All the physical tools, I just don't think he has any "it factor" whatsoever. 

1 hour ago, Tepper's Chest Hair said:

Doesn't sound like it?  Based on what?  Has there been a single source citing Newton's camp saying he is not willing to play out this year without an extension?

I know, I know.  You won't actually respond to this, because you see me as just saying "SEZ YOU" when all I am doing is asking you to back up your statements.  

1 hour ago, Mr. Scot said:

That mock has them passing on Justin Herbert to take Tua.

@Mr. Scot you mind answering the above? What source has indicated Cam won’t finish his contract out? 

thanks 

I’m not in the camp that believes cam would be against playing next year under the current contract. I’ve seen people share that opinion, but I haven’t seen any official reporting behind that. He may very well not want to do that, but I don’t think he would hold out for an entire season over it.

Archived