• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

My take on Cam Newton

ellis

Thank you for this. People kill me with the Cam's just a running QB and he's gonna get hurt again running. I always ask them so when did he get hurt running again? 

Cam makes throws that a lot of "elite" QBs can't make. His biggest issue has been not having an OC that could dial up the 4 or 5 easy completions that would bump his percentage over 60% so people could stop focussing on that stat line. 

Excellent piece and well-researched and reasoned. I've said before and I'll keep pushing it, first option (and best) is work with Cam as our starter going into next season. He has not only earned it, but it would be foolish for us to do anything but that... 

Keep writing these, man, they're great reads!

Good write up.

I have buried myself in Newton’s game tape. I’ve paid close attention to the first half of last season, and all of 2017. I have already made my evaluation on Newton. I feel he should come back. I’m not concerned under what circumstances at this point.

While I agree with you. There is one huge circumstance that comes to mind for me, at least. If we bring Cam back and put him behind that putrid offensive line we have and have had the recent past several years he will never remain healthy enough to play a full season again. 

"Final year of the deal? Whatever. A longer-term contract? Good. The team should have some sense of leverage right now with his recent (overhyped) injury issues. None of which, by the way, are connected." 

If I am understanding you, your position is the Panthers should give Newton an extension? I don't think that would be a prudent move.

The key question then remains is Newton willing to play 2020 on his current contract? 

39 minutes ago, Navy_football said:

Thank you for this. People kill me with the Cam's just a running QB and he's gonna get hurt again running. I always ask them so when did he get hurt running again? 

Cam makes throws that a lot of "elite" QBs can't make. His biggest issue has been not having an OC that could dial up the 4 or 5 easy completions that would bump his percentage over 60% so people could stop focussing on that stat line. 

But the easy completions are the ones he has a hard time hitting....?

Why do RB's hit the proverbial wall at 30 years old?  It's the accumulation of punishment.  Cam is no different.  He's taken more hits than any other QB during his time in the league, and regardless of "where" those hits took place they constitute punishment to a body that needs to be at it's best week in and week out.  That punishment certainly makes him more likely to accumulate further injury.  A body, even that of a finely tuned athlete can only take so much.

All that said, what I saw for the first 8 games last year makes me believe that if Cam can get healthy, stay protected, he can be a starting QB in this league.  Still.  Maybe he loses a step with the Lisfranc.  So what?  He's a QB.  Yes, he might need to become even more of the "standard" NFL QB, but he can do it.  He showed that last year.

For his own sake, I hope Cam's "power back" days are behind him.  I want to see him play for years to come.

Archived