• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Rappaport: Marty Hurney heavily involved in HC search!!!

Ugh.

Said it elsewhere: There's no head coaching candidate that I particularly hate right now, but there's also none that I especially like.

It's just that knowing Marty has a part in the process makes me feel a lot less confident that we're gonna get it right.

Throw in that since Tepper has advised he's going to be patient with the rebuilding process, if we get a lousy coach, we're likely stuck with him for a loooong time.

So basically...damn :poison:

49 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

Of course Hurney's title is going to change, duh!  This is so obvious when he concludes the search and finds out the best head coach is himself.  Head Coach Marty Hurney!

Well to be truthful, Marty's equally qualified to be a head coach and he is to be a GM.

6 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

Basically, the guy who brought us John Fox and Ron Rivera has a say in who our next head coach is. And whatever coach gets picked is supposed to have a say in who gets the new front office position.

Ugh :poison:

We were hoping for the next Art Rooney but instead we might have gotten the next Jim Haslam

My optimism for our future just took a serious nosedive.

Rivera overstayed his welcome... we can agree. Knowing that you have 3 straight NFC south championships and a super bowl appearance coming after a 2-14 year would you hire him? I would every day. I hope Cam comes back and think he is an exciting QB and I love watching him giving balls away and having fun. Conversely if you said having Cam we should have been in the Super Bowl every year, I would say you hit you head. Cam is good, not great... a lot of teams would like to have him as do I. Almost every winning coach has a good QB, if someone else was coaching this year without a QB you would want there heads too.

I don’t get why all this hate on Hurney the man is pretty good just look at some of the great players he has brought us drafted and free agent pickups and trades. 

Will Witherspoon , Dan Morgan, Chris gamble. Ken Lucas, Steve Smith, Jon beason, Stephen Davis, Jordan gross , Greg Olsen , jake delhome, Luke kuechly, Julius peppers, deangelo Williams, Jonathan Stewart , Chris Harris , travelle warton, and so on and so on..........

plus he hired John Fox, and Ron Rivera and both coaches took us to a super bowl each, YES we lost both but damn  I know a lot of teams wish they had that kind of success. 

so I don’t blame Tepper wanting to keep hurney on board. I think most of y’all are newer fans of the panthers so y’all all don’t know or appreciate hurney. 

I promise if hurney stays and we “reload” or “rebuild” we will be just fine. 

sorry about my typing it’s 4:35 am and I can’t keep my eyes open hardly. 

7 hours ago, Davidson Deac II said:

I modified my comment a little.  

Regarding Newman, the bowl game was hard to read regarding his performance and readiness for the NFL.  Michigan state dominated the middle of the line, making it hard to run the style of offense wake wanted to run.  I do think he has the size and arm for the NFL, just needs to improve his accuracy and consistency.

The trenches is where they lost--I wanted to see more, but his decision-making was OK most of the time--He is a bit raw, but I could see the skill set.  He was forced into situations where he could have made critical mental mistakes and they were kept at a minimum.  A Graham kid---I have family in Graham and my first college roommate was from Graham.

Archived