• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

It's clear now that Tepper saw Rivera as the Problem.

Snake

You guys are in big..big trouble with this owner. Why? He is a meddler, he seems to have opinions and "sizes" football people up on his own based on his business knowledge. He thinks he is the smartest guy in the room, football people are going to find him over time insufferable. He is going to try apply his business expertise to the football operations.

Tepper "I want to mix the new analytics with old school football mentality". Sure those two types of philosophies aren't competing ideologies or anything.

He is knew and hasnt failed yet so most of you will blow off my comment but in 5 years you will realize that your best football is long gone and lost for ever because its the owner who is the problem. Most of us in DC had this realization a long time ago...sucks!

22 minutes ago, Mitchl13 said:

What talent? Rivera was working with back up quarterbacks, a bottom 5 o line, 1 middle of the road corner, 2 terrible cover safeties, an 80 year old TE, and 1 above average receiver.

People act like any coach would have been better. 

And most importantly a meddling owner that made their coach and defensive guru switch to a 3-4 with the wrong personal. You think Rivera thought those guys could fit into that defense. No.

Ron Rivera was 7-16 in the NFCS since 2016.

But keep blaming everyone else.

I think the dagger was HOW we lost, ironically enough, to the woeful Redskins.   Rivera and staff usually put a good game plan together.  The start of the game jumping out to a quick 14-0 lead showed team Rivera had put in the work for the week.  The Redskins quickly realized the Panthers had astutely game planned for "what they do", as Rivera put it.

Here was...and always has been Rivera's achilles heel: in-game adjustments.  The Redskins changed up some things and our staff couldn't counter those with adjustments of our own.  Once the Redskins flipped the script, we looked like fish out of water.

So yeah, a large part of our misery this year can be put on Rivera and his staff.  I think Ron is a great dude, but it was time for him to move on.

Rivera's conservative nature worked well in some regards, but never for putting us over the top or even helped us find consistency (which it should've done). We've had the "should he be fired" talk about Rivera for half the years he was here...we don't do that to a consistently good coach. 

As for Hurney....NEED Tepper to have his own town hall type experience with Panthers fans, and one of y'all walk in there with a list of Hurney draft picks and FA signings and ask Tepper straight up what do you mean Hurney is good at his job? Oh, he does well in the 1st round?  You mean, the same picks that even the Huddle can get right? Hire all of us. 

3 minutes ago, TheRed said:

Ron Rivera was 7-16 in the NFCS since 2016.

But keep blaming everyone else.

And Hurney is 3-15 in the back half of the last two seasons, with a complete drop off after Ron got fired and they tried Grier instead of Allen. If you want to segment out sections I can do this all day. 

1 minute ago, Harbingers said:

And Hurney is 3-15 in the back half of the last two seasons, with a complete drop off after Ron got fired and they tried Grier instead of Allen. If you want to segment out sections I can do this all day. 

Follow him to Washington if you like mediocrity so much.

2 minutes ago, TheRed said:

Follow him to Washington if you like mediocrity so much.

So let’s unpack this... we win some games early with coaching and players loose key pieces to injury and finish a combined 3-15 because some GM didn’t prepare the teams depth...

I wonder who that GM could be that not only is providing mediocrity but outright failure. Failure to the owner, failure to the coaches, failure to the players and most of all failure to the fans.

It seems you are fine with failure. 

Just now, CarolinaNCSU said:

Rivera's conservative nature worked well in some regards, but never for putting us over the top or even helped us find consistency (which it should've done). We've had the "should he be fired" talk about Rivera for half the years he was here...we don't do that to a consistently good coach. 

As for Hurney....NEED Tepper to have his own town hall type experience with Panthers fans, and one of y'all walk in there with a list of Hurney draft picks and FA signings and ask Tepper straight up what do you mean Hurney is good at his job? Oh, he does well in the 1st round?  You mean, the same picks that even the Huddle can get right? Hire all of us. 

Give me 5 minutes with Tepper and you will never hear Hurneys name again. I can speak Yinzer(Pittsburgh-ese) so he will understand me. 

Then let me and Stbugs be co-GMs. I’ll put our drafts against Hurney, DG or any GM and feel good about it. And we both have proven to be able to handle the 3rd grade math that is the salary cap. I’m game if he is. 

And now I wake up....LOL. 

I absolutely agree that rivera was a much bigger problem than hurney. He had way too much talent on that roster to have had only 3 winning seasons.

Rivera was a bigger problem, but hurney is and was still a problem. 

Maybe hurney is better than what I'm thinking, but my gut and a whole lot of losing seasons and poor drafting after the first tells me he isn't.

Whether he is or isn't, I truly believe that we would have been better off with a clean slate. I can understand, though, that hurney was well loved by the players (crap, I love the people who promoted me and signs my checks too) and after losing a coach they obviously loved it would cause too many hard feelings and with the top choices being under contract until after the draft, it makes sense to stand pat.

I just don't like it. This franchise needs a total reboot in management.

16 minutes ago, Harbingers said:

So let’s unpack this... we win some games early with coaching and players loose key pieces to injury and finish a combined 3-15 because some GM didn’t prepare the teams depth...

I wonder who that GM could be that not only is providing mediocrity but outright failure. Failure to the owner, failure to the coaches, failure to the players and most of all failure to the fans.

It seems you are fine with failure. 

I’m gonna chuckle when Rivera takes those skins to the playoffs and they beat the panthers ass each year while he’s coaching there.  Rivera is a good coach.....it was time to move on, but the hate for him should stop.  I guess people are bitter because we are now left with an owner we are unsure of and a terrible GM. I think Tepper proves to be another meddling billionaire that can’t manage a sports franchise.  If I had his billions I wouldn’t have purchased anything, I’d have rode off into the sunset.  

10 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

I think the dagger was HOW we lost, ironically enough, to the woeful Redskins.   Rivera and staff usually put a good game plan together.  The start of the game jumping out to a quick 14-0 lead showed team Rivera had put in the work for the week.  The Redskins quickly realized the Panthers had astutely game planned for "what they do", as Rivera put it.

Here was...and always has been Rivera's achilles heel: in-game adjustments.  The Redskins changed up some things and our staff couldn't counter those with adjustments of our own.  Once the Redskins flipped the script, we looked like fish out of water.

So yeah, a large part of our misery this year can be put on Rivera and his staff.  I think Ron is a great dude, but it was time for him to move on.

It wasn't just the Redskins, although that seemed to be par for the course. After two years in a row of devastating losses following a bye, I was convinced Rivera was a goner. The other losses were just piling on.

His move to a 3-4 concept without proper personnel was just desperation. We should have seen it coming, really.

5 minutes ago, ickmule said:

I’m gonna chuckle when Rivera takes those skins to the playoffs and they beat the panthers ass each year while he’s coaching there.  Rivera is a good coach.....it was time to move on, but the hate for him should stop.  I guess people are bitter because we are now left with an owner we are unsure of and a terrible GM. I think Tepper proves to be another meddling billionaire that can’t manage a sports franchise.  If I had his billions I wouldn’t have purchased anything, I’d have rode off into the sunset.  

Rivera a good coach....

coming to america spit GIF

Thanks for making me waste my coffee!

4 minutes ago, Raleigh PF said:

It wasn't just the Redskins, although that seemed to be par for the course. After two years in a row of devastating losses following a bye, I was convinced Rivera was a goner. The other losses were just piling on.

His move to a 3-4 concept without proper personnel was just desperation. We should have seen it coming, really.

Well I think Tepper did but decided not to do it after his year. It was reported he talked to McDaniels and some other Patriots staff last year. But he should have went with his gut and made the change.

Archived