• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Marty Hurney - The Drafting Record

CarolinaNCSU

11 minutes ago, rayzor said:

He's not new and you probably wouldn't have the same opinion if you saw the other stuff he posted under another name.

You've got me curious, Rayz. Is he posting this stuff to troll or does he genuinely believe this silliness?

1 hour ago, Toomers said:

6 years after leaving the team, 3 more teams, and 9 years after being drafted. Maybe if Hurney injected Mathis himself he could take some credit. That’s like Amini starting on another team. Would that suddenly make him a good pick? 

You’re full of poo. Not too long ago, you said Worley was a good pick because he’s playing ok with the Raiders.

12 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

You've got me curious, Rayz. Is he posting this stuff to troll or does he genuinely believe this silliness?

Something I forgot to ask

I've seen it referenced many times in various dust ups that you agreed or had sympathy for Nolan Nawrocki's assessment that Cam Newton was selfish, disingenuous, had a 'fake smiile', lacking in focus, etc.

What level of credit do you give Hurney for being far wiser than yourself in judging Cam's true character (given the level of success Newton brought this franchise?).  I have to assume you wouldn't have touched him with a ten foot pole given your perception of what a fake smile he presented to the world.

Nawrocki writes, “Very disingenuous — has a fake smile, comes off as very scripted and has a selfish, me-first makeup.  Always knows where the cameras are and plays to them.  Has an enormous ego with a sense of entitlement that continually invites trouble and makes him believe he is above the law — does not command respect from teammates and will always struggle to win a locker room . . . Lacks accountability, focus and trustworthiness — is not punctual, seeks shortcuts and sets a bad example.  Immature and has had issues with authority.  Not dependable.”

31 minutes ago, Car123 said:

You’re full of poo. Not too long ago, you said Worley was a good pick because he’s playing ok with the Raiders.

I clearly said the same scenario. What good does it do us.  Now if your whiny hypocritical ass doesn’t want me dining on your tears again, go find what post you’re referring to or shut up and go away. You want me to put you on ignore yet you quote me. Strange little man. 

The 2009 and 2010 drafts, and the moves he made during them, are enough to justify a competent franchise never giving him anything other than an advisory role.

That’s not even discussing the amount of money he shelled out to players who weren’t worth it (though I give him a bit of a pass as I believe Jerry was calling the shots on retaining a ton of those players at any cost post lockout). 

Basically people don’t want to give credit for “no brainer” first round picks, which of course, in hindsight is easy to say now.

but they want to condemn him for not drafting hof’ers in the 3rd round when the percentages don’t even favor some of the top gm’s in the league. 

it’s asinine   

no defense in hurney’s first termination but I’ve said for a while there’s not enough to Grant firing him currently barring a clear cut upgrade being available 

Hurney is a damn stud at drafting first round talent.

Hurney is a complete idiot at drafting in pretty much every other round.

Case in point:

image.thumb.png.8591ba0761702416adc9f81de232a93c.pngimage.png.de9869fd5ee9b274328d305fd0fd85fe.pngimage.thumb.png.90d996bb5af5d3d4072e060f172be6ae.pngimage.thumb.png.f8a47f2c24fb7cf733bfb0021a0e66a9.pngimage.thumb.png.e11348ba0676fc4dd5146fd9bc3215d9.pngimage.png.a069ddd5c103b0ec2066b64e2c4199aa.pngimage.thumb.png.0b596bddbb26275012b7bc7bb4d10af3.pngimage.thumb.png.bdcc4b251b95543f73244a97558b7253.png

The above details the past 11 years of draft picks graded on CarAV, a stat PFF uses to determine player value over their career. Even when Ignoring the Gettleman columns you can clearly see that in terms of drafting in any round but the 1st, 6th, or 7th, Hurney is far below average and he's Bottom 7 in the league at drafting contributing players overall in this timeframe. Whatever "Skill" Hurney had at drafting talent in rounds other than the 1st completely disappeared when he traded our future for Jeff Otah.

Full breakdown can be found here:

Let him make the first round pick, then kick his ass out of the building until next year's draft.

28 minutes ago, bigdog10 said:

The 2009 and 2010 drafts, and the moves he made during them, are enough to justify a competent franchise never giving him anything other than an advisory role.

That’s not even discussing the amount of money he shelled out to players who weren’t worth it (though I give him a bit of a pass as I believe Jerry was calling the shots on retaining a ton of those players at any cost post lockout). 

We pulled Greg Hardy, Brandon Lafell, and Robert McCalin out of 2010

Lafell was underrated by Panthers fans who were expecting him to be a WR1, but had a nice seasons with New England and Cincy (especially for a third round pick).

It was a bad draft, but I'm defending it to contrast to the 2006 and 2007 Patriots drafts.

Check out the 2006 and 2007 patriots drafts;  one half decent defensive back and a kicker was all they got out of 2 drafts;  worse than Hurney's 2009 and 2010

Should the 2006 and 2007 Patriots drafts justify no franchise ever giving Bill Belichick more than an advisory role?

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/nwe/draft.htm

image.thumb.png.9ee4cdc9bf57c9f01a769b17471a6997.png

Archived