• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Jake Fromm/Matt Rhule

Snake

5 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I've just grown really suspicious of Pac 12 and Big 12 teams in recent years. Not that there aren't quality teams in those conferences, just that their top teams seem to be consistently significantly overrated on a national level IMO.

At the national level they can't compete player per player wise against the SEC, Clemson, and certain Big 10 teams. The conference just flat out doesn't recruit DBs or offensive linemen. Every team in the B12 is running some variant of the spread, so they just need offensive linemen who can get up and run quick after the play, and lmao defensive backs. 

Generally they focus on pass rushers and receivers, and then some random castoff QB who can throw the ball 50 times a game. 

You just can't do that (consistently) against SEC teams who have NFL players at every position, especially interior DLine and linebackers. Those inside guards they all have that are great at pulling and can get up fast? They're getting blown the fug up through the A gap by DTs bigger than their LTs, and theyre being beat to the edge on stretch plays by Linebackers that are bigger and faster.

Every now and then you get a game like last year where UGA straight up didn't practice or whatever. But for the most part, scheme goes out the window. Football at its core is still big and fast dudes slamming into each other (no homo) and there's only so much you can get out of a clever scheme.

That discrepancy doesn't exist at the NFL. Yeah certain teams are better, but every player (except people Hurney loves to draft like Edwards or Gaulden) actually have the size and speed to play. Kliff Kingsbury did some really interesting things in Arizona this year. Chip Kelly was doing good until NFL refs literally put their foot on the ball and stopped letting him run his hurry up. 

38 minutes ago, Bama Panther said:

See, Jalen Hurts for Exhibit 1 of your final sentence. 

i mean jalen hurts won a national championship at Alabama and looked fantastic in the SEC West. His game doesn't translate to the NFL at all but he's a good player who just got usurped by a better one. 

Hard pass on fromm btw. He's another Murray. If you really want to take a flyer on a former UGA QB go with Eason. He has a poo cannon for an arm. 

42 minutes ago, electro's horse said:

i mean jalen hurts won a national championship at Alabama and looked fantastic in the SEC West. His game doesn't translate to the NFL at all but he's a good player who just got usurped by a better one. 

Hard pass on fromm btw. He's another Murray. If you really want to take a flyer on a former UGA QB go with Eason. He has a poo cannon for an arm. 

Hurts “looked fantastic” as a running threat in the SEC West. What he showed as a passer against LSU is what he showed as a passer any time Alabama played a stout defense. I’m just saying, as a Bama fan and grad, I don’t get the desire to draft him AT ALL, much less in the 2nd or 3rd round, given his lack of passing ability. The man is a leader of men, but that cannot overcome his deficiencies when faced with stiff competition. 

Archived