• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Interesting 3 rd mock

raleigh-panther

We have so many holes on this roster it's like throwing mud on the wall.   In recent years, the needs were fairly well defined, it was a matter of where the priority was deemed to be (what order).  Many folks had similar looking mocks.  This year,  I suspect outside of round one, mocks will look vastly different.  With the Cam and Olsen question still lingering, you can't fault anyone for mocking a QB or TE either. 

37 minutes ago, raleigh-panther said:

https://withthefirstpick.com/2020/01/18/2020-nfl-draft-surprising-names-sneak-first-round-3-round-mock/

Rd 1. DL Brown 

Rd 2. Qb. Jordan Love

Rd  3 S.   Brandon Jones. 

I dont like the qb pick yet and I doubt grier is given up on after 2 games even if he looked horrid. People jump to conclusions far to quickly. Rd. 2 imo has to be a center, this draft is begging for us to take one that will be our franchise guy for years to come. In the 3rd I would like to further adress our aging interior Dline position with Leki if he falls. I think in the first 3 picks we can fix our run defense, fixing most of the rest of the D and the center position helping our oline and its depth greatly. Paradis might not be a good center anymore but that doesnt mean he cant play LG, without the worry of snapping the ball then blocking it should improve his pass blocking. I still think signing a LT is the best option while hopefully Little progressed, I haven't given up on him and Dayley has shown to be fine depth. With the rest of the line better it will improve Trai and Moton who still had a solid year in 19.

We are basically looking at a very straight forward draft, or dire consequences.

Either we:

A.) Rebuild the o-line with the draft.

B.) Select a mixture of O and D without fixing the o-line.

If we select option B, then I am confident that Cam Newton, or any QB who starts will be seriously injured and out for the season. If the injury happens early we might go 0-16. If you are ok with 0-16, then by all means push for drafting a DT at 7. That DT won't do anything to stop the team from going 0-16 when our QB has his head ripped off live in the middle of BOA in front of empty bleachers.

1 minute ago, pantherj said:

We are basically looking at a very straight forward draft, or dire consequences.

Either we

A.) Rebuilt the o-line with the draft.

B.) Select a mixture of O and D without fixing the o-line.

If we select option B, then I am confident that Cam Newton, or any QB who starts will be seriously injured and out for the season. If the injury happens early we might go 0-16. If you are ok with 0-16, then by all means push for drafting a DT at 7. That DT won't do anything to stop the team from going 0-16 when our QB has his head ripped off live in the middle of BOA in front of empty bleachers.

I can only justify a tackle at 7 if at the combine there is one that shows to be a lane Johnson type, incredibly athletic and strong for the mans size. With a top 10 pick you want a rare talent and it is possible a tackle will be it, but anything outside of rare and it's a reach. I feel Brown is going to be a rare talent but DTs are easier to judge earlier then LTs. Now I do fully agree the position needs to be adressed but I also have not given up on Little. A good stop gap, one year deal, like not neccessary Peter's, is the best move at this moment. Little may develop into a very good LT, Brown is looking freakish enough to destroy run schemes on early downs and be deployed in Nascar packages as a end on long passing downs. He is definitely a rare player possibly once every 10 year guy, that's what I'm looking for at 7. The other thing is our center situation greatly impacted the whole line last year, even with kalil they could have been middle of the pack, just my opinion.

7 minutes ago, Happy Panther said:

Some people have him as a top 5 pick...

Walter football has him as their 9th qb, they only have 3 qbs as top 10 picks and they could bust easy enough. Grier is probably getting another year, if not I think we use a later pick in an attempt to nab someone with high upside and cut Grier. 

Just now, Matt62881 said:

I can only justify a tackle at 7 if at the combine there is one that shows to be a lane Johnson type, incredibly athletic and strong for the mans size. With a top 10 pick you want a rare talent and it is possible a tackle will be it, but anything outside of rare and it's a reach. I feel Brown is going to be a rare talent but DTs are easier to judge earlier then LTs. Now I do fully agree the position needs to be adressed but I also have not given up on Little. A good stop gap, one year deal, like not neccessary Peter's, is the best move at this moment. Little may develop into a very good LT, Brown is looking freakish enough to destroy run schemes on early downs and be deployed in Nascar packages as a end on long passing downs. He is definitely a rare player possibly once every 10 year guy, that's what I'm looking for at 7. The other thing is our center situation greatly impacted the whole line last year, even with kalil they could have been middle of the pack, just my opinion.

Here is what is a stake imo. If the Panthers efforts to fix the o-line fail, then we are going to be raking leaves on Sundays, or doing something else with our time. The QB we put back there will be injured badly. Little is a project with a major concussion in his past and terrible technique. We have two "red alert" needs on the o-line, LT and center. If those problems are not fixed then I don't need to watch the games to know what will happen. It's obvious.

Thomas is a good pass blocker who isn't as powerful as you would hope with the run. Derrick Brown might compare most closely to Ndamukong Suh. The Panthers picks decide what we're going to be doing on Sunday.

No sense in half-assing it and drafting a QB in the 2nd or 3rd round. Either get our guy in round 1 (via trade up, if need be - Tua?) or sign a veteran placeholder and draft a QB early next year. The odds of any QB drafted in the 2nd/3rd round being significantly better than Kyle Allen are pretty low, unless we REALLY hit on a player.

Let's not forget we just used a 3rd rounder on Will Grier last year, and the early results were NOT promising.

Archived