• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Marshall Faulk admits Christian McCaffrey is better than him

MurkN

According to Bill Voth of the Panthers team website, Faulk spoke about McCaffrey’s season Wednesday at the Super Bowl and said McCaffrey is equipped to be a better player than he was.

He’s a better version of me,” Faulk said.

Faulk was elected to the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 2011. He was the NFL MVP in 2000. He was won three straight NFL Offensive Player of the Year honors, was named to the Pro Bowl seven times and was a three-time first-team All-Pro. Faulk’s resume is littered with accolades. Faulk suggesting McCaffrey can surpass his own abilities speaks incredibly highly of the realms where McCaffrey’s career could be headed.

“He had to do more with less help. I had a lot of help,” Faulk said.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/01/30/marshall-faulk-christian-mccaffrey-is-a-better-version-of-me/

Faulk also believes McCaffrey is the better of the two "out of the backfield." Faulk averaged 63.9 receptions through his 12 seasons. McCaffrey has 303 after three years and is the only running back in NFL history with two 100-catch seasons.

Clearly, at this pace, McCaffrey has an excellent shot at breaking away from Craig and Faulk to become the only player with multiple 1,000/1,000 seasons. And Faulk would be perfectly OK with that.

"As many times as he can, man. That's what this game is about," Faulk said. "Trust me, it's hard. It is a hard feat. Just think about it — in the whole history of the league, only three guys — think about the guys that are playing running back in this league. Only three guys have done it. It's such a big deal that they don't pay a whole lot of attention to it because it's like, 'Nobody does that.' It's such a big deal."

It's such a big deal that McCaffrey will head into the 2020 season firmly entrenched as one of the league's biggest stars. And now, instead of just being compared to Faulk, McCaffrey is the more talented of the two — according to the guy with a gold jacket.

https://www.panthers.com/news/marshall-faulk-christian-mccaffrey-is-a-better-version-of-me

I think there's going to be a lot less focus on stats and force feeding CMC in the coming years,  and more on spreading the ball around to win games. 

He's gotta be sick and tired of losing at this point. I'm willing to bet he'd be more than happy to take a big hit statistically if it meant we get a deep playoff run. 

That's one of the reasons rebuilding with a guy like CMC kind of sucks. Just wasting his prime years on a rookie deal. I'm holding out hope we keep Cam rebuild the oline and the defense and hopefully Rhule can have a Jim Harbaugh like rebuild where we dont suck for 3 years before we start winning

1 hour ago, Mr Mojo Risin said:

That's one of the reasons rebuilding with a guy like CMC kind of sucks. Just wasting his prime years on a rookie deal. I'm holding out hope we keep Cam rebuild the oline and the defense and hopefully Rhule can have a Jim Harbaugh like rebuild where we dont suck for 3 years before we start winning

I personally think we can be successful quickly (not the goal, but you might as well win if you can) sooner.  Yes, we are losing Luke--big blow. Aside from that, Olsen is like 35 and may be done, and let's say we lose Bradberry and Addison.

We can compete if you fix both lines.  On Offense, if we can upgrade developmental players by moving the developmental players into starting roles, then we can fix 2 spots at once.  For example, if Little is not working out at T AND IT IS WAY TOO SOON TO MAKE THAT DETERMINATION, If you draft Thomas, you move Little to LG.  Can VR play center?  I think he has--but Paradis was improving as the year progressed.  Maybe the leg was getting its strength back.  I would still address C later in the draft.

In free agency, we need some DTs that are able to get pressure while maintaining gap responsibility.  2 Free agents, draft pick. KK returns.  Cut Poe and do not re-sign McCoy, Love, or Butler---that was easy. 

If Bradberry and Boston re-sign, we could probably draft a CB (deep draft) in the third and improve.  If Bradberry walks, Jackson may be a better fit in the new defense--and maybe he matured.  I was happy with the job Elliot did, but we will need a CB at some point. 

DE--there are some mid to late round talents at DE that could become solid rotational players--a bunch of them should be there on day 3.

• Marlon Davidson Auburn
  • Curtis Weaver Boise St.
  • Brad Anae Utah
  • Khalid Kareem ND
  • DJ Wonnan S Car
  • Chauncey Rivers Mss St
  • Ken Willekes Mich St
  • Alton Robinson Syr
  • Joe Gaziano NWestern

With Burns, Obada, Haynes, and Miller, one of these could be a nice fit. Still, we need Burns and Co. to add some beef, but they could be OK.

1 hour ago, Mr Mojo Risin said:

The problem is "Harbaugh's rebuild" started under Mike Singletary.  The players even said so.  The main thing Harbaugh did was bring a new energy to the team and get production out of the QB position (something Singletary and his staff could not do).  Had Harbaugh taken over the same team Singletary took over, it would have been a 2-3 year process instead of the instant gratification they got.

12 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

I personally think we can be successful quickly (not the goal, but you might as well win if you can) sooner.  Yes, we are losing Luke--big blow. Aside from that, Olsen is like 35 and may be done, and let's say we lose Bradberry and Addison.

We can compete if you fix both lines.  On Offense, if we can upgrade developmental players by moving the developmental players into starting roles, then we can fix 2 spots at once.  For example, if Little is not working out at T AND IT IS WAY TOO SOON TO MAKE THAT DETERMINATION, If you draft Thomas, you move Little to LG.  Can VR play center?  I think he has--but Paradis was improving as the year progressed.  Maybe the leg was getting its strength back.  I would still address C later in the draft.

In free agency, we need some DTs that are able to get pressure while maintaining gap responsibility.  2 Free agents, draft pick. KK returns.  Cut Poe and do not re-sign McCoy, Love, or Butler---that was easy. 

If Bradberry and Boston re-sign, we could probably draft a CB (deep draft) in the third and improve.  If Bradberry walks, Jackson may be a better fit in the new defense--and maybe he matured.  I was happy with the job Elliot did, but we will need a CB at some point. 

DE--there are some mid to late round talents at DE that could become solid rotational players--a bunch of them should be there on day 3.

• Marlon Davidson Auburn
  • Curtis Weaver Boise St.
  • Brad Anae Utah
  • Khalid Kareem ND
  • DJ Wonnan S Car
  • Chauncey Rivers Mss St
  • Ken Willekes Mich St
  • Alton Robinson Syr
  • Joe Gaziano NWestern

With Burns, Obada, Haynes, and Miller, one of these could be a nice fit. Still, we need Burns and Co. to add some beef, but they could be OK.

I'd be okay with this especially for the fact that this coaching staffs #1 strength is that it puts players in position to succeed all the while being great teachers and motivators. Not to say Rhule isnt great at X's and O's it just seems he is more of the roster builder/team management/motivator style. Hard to really label what he truly is at this point, and that's not necessarily a bad thing. I think we will be a pretty young team this next season so even if we keep Cam I'd be okay if we finished just under .500 the first year as long as we were competitive but hopefully year 2 and 3 we're competing for playoffs/superbowl. Hard telling what's going to happen

11 minutes ago, Wes21 said:

The problem is "Harbaugh's rebuild" started under Mike Singletary.  The players even said so.  The main thing Harbaugh did was bring a new energy to the team and get production out of the QB position (something Singletary and his staff could not do).  Had Harbaugh taken over the same team Singletary took over, it would have been a 2-3 year process instead of the instant gratification they got.

Well the situations could be similar if Cam stays and plays well. And if Rhule and Co. Can put together a solid draft and hit on 1-3 FA's this team wouldn't be far off from what Harbaugh inherited.  The main difference is obviously now that Kuechly retired we dont have that anchor in the middle of the defense to build around like Harbaugh had with Patrick Willis. But obviously the situations still have their differences it's hard telling what's going to happen at this point. Still a.lot of questions to be answered

It's unlikely McCaffrey will ever do this again.  Not necessarily a bad thing.  He was given the ball that many times because he was the only guy open.  I think the focus of the new coaching staff will be to develop a system that gets multiple guys open to keep the defense on its heels.  CMC's success last year (and I don't say this to diminish them in any way because they were truly legendary) were a symptom of a very weak offensive system.  I drank the Norv kool aid and I was wrong.  

33 minutes ago, TheRed said:

That's high praise. Unfortunately the position is becoming more and more devalued in the modern NFL. Even having the best RB in the playoffs can't get you over the hump. See Henry and the Titans.

Agree to a point.  That RB got them to the dance, and likely extended that coaches expiration date at least another year.

The NFL is heading toward playmakers, be it TE, WR, RB, etc....playmakers are what's needed, and what was sorely needed in Cam's early years.

I was listening to something this morning about the speed on the field  between the SB teams, KC and SF both had the 1st and 2nd fastest playmakers in the NFL as a whole.  Something to ponder.

Archived