• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

REPORT: Lions GM Willing to Trade Out of #3 Overall Pick

Mr Mojo Risin

5 hours ago, MMA said:

We’d be dumb not to trade up for Tua at 3. Tua could actually be a better fit for Rhule and Brady than Burrow. 

Interesting take---I need to give this some thought.

What Tua did Friday (about stating he wants to play for his favorite team growing up...Dallas.

https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/cowbuzz-this-qb-wants-tua-play-for-dallas

Now think about it--Dak just turned down $33m per. He wants $40m.  At some point, a team has got to say "hell no."  Dak is above average, but he is not the best by any stretch.  Dallas could decide to spend that $$$ buying free agents and going "all in" for Tua. 

If Dallas wants to go after Tua, they could save about $35m and trade the Lions their first and second rounders this year and next year.   Crazy?  Well, they would have $35m to throw at free agents.  They could re-sign Cooper, etc. They would get out of the Dak decision.  they would get a comp pick in 2021.

I would be dealing with Detroit now. What does Dallas do in 2020?  Sign Rivers or Kirpatrick or BRADY.

Before everyone goes into "we have so many needs" mode--and I am guilty of that too---go back over the roster and identify all of the day two picks who are contributing in a meaningful way--this covers the last 4-5 years or so.  Italics: Not on roster

Second Round:  Greg Little (no help yet), Donte Jackson (you be the judge), Curtis Samuel, Taylor Moton,  James Bradberry, Devin Funchess, Kony Ealy.

Third Round:  Will Grier, Rashaan Golden, Daeshaun Hall, Daryl Worley 

4 players over the past 5 drafts.

8 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

Before everyone goes into "we have so many needs" mode--and I am guilty of that too---go back over the roster and identify all of the day two picks who are contributing in a meaningful way--this covers the last 4-5 years or so.  Italics: Not on roster

Second Round:  Greg Little (no help yet), Donte Jackson (you be the judge), Curtis Samuel, Taylor Moton,  James Bradberry, Devin Funchess, Kony Ealy.

Third Round:  Will Grier, Rashaan Golden, Daeshaun Hall, Daryl Worley 

4 players over the past 5 drafts.

So you are saying our front office is not very good at this draft thing?

A couple of observations: 1) Bradberry from a FCS school has been the most successful (don't tell Marty that).  2) Round 3 is a projection round where the front office projects a player ends up better than their draft stock suggests.  So far, nope, they are/were as advertised or even worse.

2 hours ago, stbugs said:

I don’t get trading up for Tua and his risks. Start Grier, make these picks to build up talent and shoot for the top pick next year. Heck, with the number of comp picks we could get next year, take 2021 picks for Cam if they are higher. Get us in do good that even if we don’t get the top pick we can easily move up from 2 or 3.

Don’t get me wrong, he definitely comes with risk. I’m just saying if he is their guy, that’s how you get him while keeping your original picks.

14 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

A couple of observations: 1) Bradberry from a FCS school has been the most successful (don't tell Marty that).  2) Round 3 is a projection round where the front office projects a player ends up better than their draft stock suggests.  So far, nope, they are/were as advertised or even worse.

Bradberry is fascinating because it shows what can happen when a young guy with all the physical tools is given significant coaching attention and playing time. He sucked at first but got better fast.

Rivera just refused to do that with other guys. Guys down the depth chart were not seriously coached. I’m convinced Dave forced Ron to develop and play James by not signing any vet CBs that year.

Total ego move by Dave but worked out in the end.

My hope with Rhule is that he’ll do a better job of teaching and giving playing time to the young guys so they can develop.

4 minutes ago, Davidson Deac II said:

Actually, they are probably average.  The rate of second and third day picks that stick around is fairly low.   We do need to try to get a higher number of picks though.  

Well in a year that we should have closed the talent gap between CAR and NO, because of all their win now trades left them with only a couple picks. the Panthers got significantly less value from 6 picks than the Saints did with just picks 49 and 105. 

Acceptance of poor performance is why this team is in the position it’s in. 

1 hour ago, 45catfan said:

I think (in the past) Marty has drafted for need in the third round---Fua and Mclain, Grier, etc. you are going to screw up.  Turner, if I am not mistaken, was a third rounder, as were Charles Johnson, Travelle Wharton, and Charles Godfrey.  You should be able to find talent--go BPA.

Archived