• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

(EDIT): Franchise Tag Deadline, and the Tampering Period

SetfreexX

Gents, March is almost already half way over and with that we will start to get the first clues to what this team is looking to do in 2020: https://operations.nfl.com/football-ops/league-governance/2020-important-nfl-dates/

March 10th (Today - is the franchise tag application deadline) >>>>>>> (EDIT - This was extended to Monday the 16th at 11:59:59 am)

The NFL Players Association and NFL Management Council agreed to extend the franchise/transition tag deadline to 11:59:59 a.m. ET Monday, NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reported, via a source informed of the decision.

The deadline was set for Thursday at 4 p.m. ET after initially being pushed from March 10.

•  

March 16th (Next Monday - Legal tampering begins)

March 18th (Next Wednesday - New League year begins, club options have to be determined ''Poe's future'')

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Lot's of talk from fans, and media sources referencing a tank, and outside looking in I don't really get that vibe, Olsen being released was a cap decision, and the right one, and we can't help that Luke retired. Okung at LT (on paper and by the nature of the position LT >> G) gives us a bridge to Little and cap savings a season earlier than Turner. 

I am very curious to see what we do next. 

That kind of money tied up in a DB is way too much, Bradberry is a very good corner, but not a lock down corner. That money is better allocated elsewhere, whether the bulk is saved to roll-over to 2021's cap, or used to round out the roster for this upcoming season. 

10 hours ago, 45catfan said:

We will not be big players in FA guys, so this offseason will drag on until the draft.  Expect some tier 2 and tier 3 FAs for depth.  I predict no splash signings.

I believe we only have 56 players under contract and 3 or 4 of those will either be cut or not have their option picked up. We must sign several free agents just to be able to have a full 90 man squad even after the draft. 

10 hours ago, TheSpecialJuan said:

I believe we only have 56 players under contract and 3 or 4 of those will either be cut or not have their option picked up. We must sign several free agents just to be able to have a full 90 man squad even after the draft. 

Oh we will, just not of the McCoy, Irvin or Paradis variety.   More of the Elliott and Hogan tier.

10 hours ago, TheSpecialJuan said:

Teams never have trouble finding 90 people to come to camp. The vast majority of them are camp fodder nomads going to whichever team has available space and hopefully a glaring need. The majority of those folks are basically giving their all just to catch on to a special teams spot.

They are not hard to find and their numbers are legion.

Quality free agents are another thing, and this year they won't be coming cheap. Honestly, we should avoid the top end and maybe just pick up a handful of experienced journeyman guys, preferrably ones with coaching attitudes to help out with growing our future. 

But big splashes? Not in the FA market. We're more inline for the great player hanging it up kind of splashes... and we've had that happen already.

12 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

Oh we will, just not of the McCoy, Irvin or Paradis variety.   More of the Elliott and Hogan tier.

I hope so. They arguably gave us the most production for the money we paid them. If Hogan would not have been hurt he would have easily outshined Wright.

2 minutes ago, WarPanthers89 said:

I hope so. They arguably gave us the most production for the money we paid them. If Hogan would not have been hurt he would have easily outshined Wright.

That's where the Pro scouts, coaches and Marty need to buckle down and do their homework rather than go off reputation, especially with older stop-gap players.  McCoys play had obviously dropped off some, but that was a reputation sign and one that didn't benefit us very much.  I much rather them sign 12 or so guys of tier 2-3 caliber.  Those guys will work hard to ensure their following contract pays off.  The McCoys of the world have already made their money and it showed.

Archived