Jump to content
  • Welcome!

    Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

    Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

    Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

     

Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, stirs said:

testing numbers supposedly

once their numbers started up like other countries, they were placed on the list.

of course, politics and what they tell you have a lot to do trying to save face, so you never know.

reporters asked about rate going up now and gov said, yep, that's why they are going on the ban list too.

never know however

No you dont.  Sounds like a "save face" move because they were hammered for this exclusion---inconsistent.  He has attempted to ban nations and nationalities that pose a much lesser threat to this nation.  The numbers were there- similar to ours-they had no argument.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

No you dont.  Sounds like a "save face" move because they were hammered for this exclusion---inconsistent.  He has attempted to ban nations and nationalities that pose a much lesser threat to this nation.  The numbers were there- similar to ours-they had no argument.

supposedly, the big jump 3 days ago triggered the move.

 

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-51839106

Link to post
Share on other sites

i hope i'm not coming across as a fear monger.  i don't personally feel afraid.   its just kinda like when someone you love has cancer - one week good news, next week bad news - over time you learn not to get too up with the good news or down with the bad news and realize you're just gonna have to watch it play out.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, raz said:

The irony is--this effects the top 1% (probability) more that the bottom 99%.  At least in terms of contamination.  Treatment advantages probably go to the rich guys.  Jet setters, world travelers, hosting large, international events....odds are more likely.  I am just glad they don't have a coronacomputervirus.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, raz said:

i hope i'm not coming across as a fear monger.  i don't personally feel afraid.   its just kinda like when someone you love has cancer - one week good news, next week bad news - over time you learn not to get too up with the good news or down with the bad news and realize you're just gonna have to watch it play out.

I do not think so---who is to say what is rational or irrational right now?  One minute, I feel as if I am overreacting, the next minute, I am worried that I do not have enough hand sanitizer.

  • Pie 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, raz said:

If we only have 15000 deaths I would consider it a raging success at containment. I fear it’s going to be 40-80 times that much or possibly more. 

  • Pie 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, MHS831 said:

I do not think so---who is to say what is rational or irrational right now?  One minute, I feel as if I am overreacting, the next minute, I am worried that I do not have enough hand sanitizer.

One doctor said, "everything we do before a pandemic will seem alarmist, everything we do after will seem inadequate"

Pretty much spot on

  • Pie 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, TheRumGone said:

If we only have 15000 deaths I would consider it a raging success at containment. I fear it’s going to be 40-80 times that much or possibly more. 

15k would be less than normal flu, in which we have vaccinations, so I guess so.  Hoping much less, hoping

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, stirs said:

I have told my parents that church is off limits now, same with restaurants, etc.

Watching them struggle as you described earlier would be hard to handle

Good advice.  As a school administrator in Charlotte, we had to lock down the school like four times in about a six week period because gunmen had robbed this bank near our campus. Apparently the bank got the rep of having lax security--so every thug in a 500-mile radius started trying to rob it.  It got so bad, the police replaced the security guard with a real cop.  At any rate, the lockdown interrupts instruction and terrifies parents and children. 

After the fourth lockdown, I was visited by what we called the CMS "pacing police" who were concerned that we were a week behind Ballyentine (sp?) schools, where they had just visited.  We were on the East side.  I explained the lockdowns, etc. and they refused to accept it as a legitimate excuse.  I asked them if they had ever been through one.  They said they had "done the drills."  I asked them to leave campus and come back when they have been properly trained to be telling me how to do my job.  They did.  I got a phone call---took another job a few weeks later.

The point?  Never trust leaders to understand or feel empathy for what you are going through.  Do not listen to the noise.  Be smart and take care of your own.

Edited by MHS831
  • Pie 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, stirs said:

I have told my parents that church is off limits now, same with restaurants, etc.

Watching them struggle as you described earlier would be hard to handle.

My Mom is elderly and has COPD. I'm trying to not freak out.

This is how Charleston's handling testing. My friend did a Virtual MUSC visit; they said due to the limited supply of testing, only international travelers & associating with known infected could be tested.

  • Pie 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, TheRumGone said:

If we only have 15000 deaths I would consider it a raging success at containment. I fear it’s going to be 40-80 times that much or possibly more. 

As I said, the podcast doc said up to 480,000 by his calculations.  He had charts and graphs---can't argue with charts and graphs.  Agian, not sure if it was globally or nationally--but since he was comparing the numbers to the flu--I am guessing high end of the US.

A doctor/expert on one news channel (I watch them all, unlike some) said that he could see 150,000,000 people in the US diagnosed with the virus.  If true, and the mortality rate is (making this up) 1/50th of that number, that still means 3 million---a bit higher that 30,000 flu deaths per year.  I doubt nearly half the nation contracts the virus, however.  I think that was a bit Chicken Little

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, trueblade said:

My Mom is elderly and has COPD. I'm trying to not freak out.

This is how Charleston's handling testing. My friend did a Virtual MUSC visit; they said due to the limited supply of testing, only international travelers & associating with known infected could be tested.

I think, if people take this seriously and can stay isolated for a while, they can avoid it.  I was supposed to see my aunt in Myrtle beach this week---she is 75 or so--not going.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, stirs said:

Actually, we have not done the draconian things China did, but have reacted much better than Italy.  Lots of the cases we have here in the US is because of Italy and people vacationing there.  Shutting down travel from parts of Asia was smart.  The shutting down from Europe should have been done a week earlier.

I think with each day, more measures could happen here.  Even state to state, never know

I don't really get the narrative that the US have reacted much better than Italy.

Even with a sub-optimal response, the first red zones were quarantined as soon as the first patient was found.

As of right now, mostly of these measures (from the article above) have been in place for 3 weeks at least

 

  • All schools are closed in all of Italy.
  • All churches are closed (including St. Peter's Basilica).
  • All weddings and funerals are postponed.
  • All restaurants are closed.
  • In fact, all stores except grocery stores and pharmacies are closed.
  • People are urged to work from home unless they work in special designated factories

Also, has been reported that "patient 0" could be from Germany, and got the virus as soon as January (https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-italy-scientists/coronavirus-may-have-reached-italy-from-germany-scientists-say-idUSKBN20Y35B)

Again, when the first couple of cases were reported, thousands of tests were run in the towns of those tested positive.

Italy's response has been far from optimal, and even now people are kinda acting in a lousy way (going out for jogging, which should be avoided), but I'm really failing to see how you have reacted "much better than Italy".

https://theintercept.com/2020/03/12/italy-coronavirus-united-states-preparedness/?fbclid=IwAR1rp43U7411hkkyZqfDDTVx1IaIHakzdg2OjNc8jEMp7akf0kxnuxzr0tc

(The second part of the article is kinda meh)

  • Flames 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...