• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Corona Virus

Ja  Rhule

Reality is that even if infections are significantly reduced, a lot of people are going to be paranoid for the rest of their lives (especially people with underlying conditions).

The US was already becoming a somewhat germophobic culture anyway, but after this I expect a pretty heavy portion of the population will be looking at Adrian Monk as a role model.

92043944_2665616886883236_65591592757451

On 4/19/2020 at 11:28 AM, LinvilleGorge said:

I really want to get one of the antibody tests. I've submitted to be part of a clinical trial for it.

I posted awhile back that I think there's a really good chance we've already had this thing and that was before we had preliminary data suggesting that the actual rate of infection very well may be 50x higher than the number of confirmed cases. I traveled a TON in early Q1 and shortly after coming back from a trip to the greater Seattle area in mid-January, I developed a helluva chest cold. Zero head/sinus symptoms. Basically just a drag ass feeling with a low grade fever and a hellish dry cough that lasted forever, like 10 or so weeks forever. The weird thing about it was that it would come in waves. Just as soon as you thought you were getting over it, another wave would hit and you'd be right back to where you started. My wife had the same thing. Our four year old daughter wasn't impacted in the least.

I'd be interested in the antibody test as well. The last week of February I got sick to where I had to use sick leave for the first time in two years. Standard head cold stuff, but zero appetite and extreme fatigue. I think I slept 18 hours one day. Wife and two kids never showed any symptoms. 

Let's face it, you're only going to be able to keep folks at home and not working for so long before there's some backlash.  These governors know this and are trying to save their political asses.  They're 'opening' up businesses, but how many of those businesses are going to have any business to open up to?  I need a hair cut, but I'm sure as sh&t not getting one anytime soon.  I'm also not going to be beating the doors down to the gym (wouldn't do that anyway!).  There are going to those that take it seriously and those that don't, bottom line, we just have to deal with it the best we can.

1 minute ago, blackcat said:

Let's face it, you're only going to be able to keep folks at home and not working for so long before there's some backlash.  These governors know this and are trying to save their political asses.  They're 'opening' up businesses, but how many of those businesses are going to have any business to open up to?  I need a hair cut, but I'm sure as sh&t not getting one anytime soon.  I'm also not going to be beating the doors down to the gym (wouldn't do that anyway!).  There are going to those that take it seriously and those that don't, bottom line, we just have to deal with it the best we can.

My living doesn't depend on me running a business, but I feel for the people who do. It's gotta be really tough.

10 minutes ago, blackcat said:

I am going to be in the gym the first day its back open. LOL  That being said, its better for the gym if you are paying dues and not showing up.  The people that I feel the worst for are seasonal businesses who might miss their window.  For some its just a bad year, for others it means they have to close shop.

34 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

My living doesn't depend on me running a business, but I feel for the people who do. It's gotta be really tough.

Luckily, my business is in the transportation sector, so we've been able to stay open.  We're down about 20%, but it could be much worse.  Years ago, I owned a restaurant and I'm super thankful I'm no longer in that industry.

25 minutes ago, Wes21 said:

I am going to be in the gym the first day its back open. LOL  That being said, its better for the gym if you are paying dues and not showing up.  The people that I feel the worst for are seasonal businesses who might miss their window.  For some its just a bad year, for others it means they have to close shop.

Yeah, but how many folks are going to pay dues to a gym that's open that they don't feel safe going to?  My wife's gym has allowed folks to suspend thier accounts which is cool, but I wonder how long until those folks want to come back?  

23 minutes ago, Ja Rhule said:

0682C4D5-BFAD-4CD2-B93E-D4F070B002E2.jpeg

This is exactly the kind of bs that keeps us under draconian rule.  How could a peak be in mid June? What the hell is the difference between 30%, 40% and 60% social distancing? Does this assume the stay at home order is lifted May 1st. What are they assuming is the transmissibility rate of the disease? What is the hospitalization and fatality rate? Do they know how many people have already had it and recovered? 

If a layman has all of these valid questions why in the world does the media put this crap out like it’s the Bible just to stoke fear and irresponsible actions by the public? 

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

I've never understood that practice.

I mean, what do Heidi Klum, Tyra Banks and Adriana Lima know about virology anyway? :thinking:

Sadly they would be more accurate than IHME, Imperial college and whatever this mecklenburg model came from.

14 minutes ago, blackcat said:

Yeah, but how many folks are going to pay dues to a gym that's open that they don't feel safe going to?  My wife's gym has allowed folks to suspend thier accounts which is cool, but I wonder how long until those folks want to come back?  

Paying dues for a gym and not going is how gyms make their money!  I have 2 memberships, and both of them suspended dues while they are closed.  I'm pretty sure once they open back up, they will start charging me again whether I want to go or not.  There probably are some exceptions.  Most gyms have you locked into a contract, so you either pay the dues or you pay the termination fee.  

I recommend that anyone that doesn't want to go to the gym...not go to the gym.  There is zero wrong with that.  But I will be there as soon as it opens up, and so will other people I know.  For us its the biggest "issue" we've faced during the lockdown.  I could do this for 6 more months without complaining if you would just give me the gym back open. LOL

• Beer 1