• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

I am the only one excited about Teddy B's potential?

Jaxel

4 minutes ago, MMA said:

When Brady, Brees and Ryan are the other 3 QBs in your division, I’m just not too excited.

But Brady and Brees are ancient and the Falcons have their own share of issues. I don't think it's as lopsided as you think.

The defense? Now that's an area to be justifiably concerned imho.

I’m looking for a hornets kind of year. Be competitive, lose a lot of close games but still go 4-12. That should make us hungry and in good position to draft a couple more studs to go with this draft. I think in year two we are around .500 then year 3+ we extend Teddy and head to the playoffs on a regular basis - maybe making a bowl or two. 

4 minutes ago, grimesgoat said:

I’m looking for a hornets kind of year. Be competitive, lose a lot of close games but still go 4-12. That should make us hungry and in good position to draft a couple more studs to go with this draft. I think in year two we are around .500 then year 3+ we extend Teddy and head to the playoffs on a regular basis - maybe making a bowl or two. 

I'm just short of "thinking" that timeline sets reasonable expectations, but that is what I am hoping for.

A lot of people have a problem with TB not being able to carry the team.  QBs should not have to carry their teams consistently.  We're used to seeing that here because our offensive philosophy under Rivera was "we have Cam Newton," not unlike the philosophy of his mentor, Buddy Ryan and "we have Randall Cunningham." 

If TB can be effective and efficient, and step it up a notch when the game is on the line, that would be huge.  But if we are expecting him or any other QB to carry the team to championships, well, Dan Marino carried the Dolphins, Elway carried the Broncos, and Manning carried the Colts.  With all that carrying, those teams had three championships (four if you count Manning with the Broncos), and in each of those cases, the rest of the team stepped up to actually shoulder the load.....usually the defense.

Its just funny to me that Cam got so much crap for being injured but we sign a guy like Teddy who had a more severe injury than either of the two injuries Newton suffered and we expect him to hold up just fine no questions asked. I get the injury happened a few years ago but hes still yet to prove he can play an entire season, which he has not done since that injury. I just find it incredibly odd.

1 minute ago, Mr Mojo Risin said:

Its just funny to me that Cam got so much crap for being injured but we sign a guy like Teddy who had a more severe injury than either of the two injuries Newton suffered and we expect him to hold up just fine no questions asked. I get the injury happened a few years ago but hes still yet to prove he can play an entire season, which he has not done since that injury. I just find it incredibly odd.

Ted's play didn't really diminish after his injury. Cam's did. That's the difference.

factory glove GIF

Ted will be just fine. Look! A glove factory hard at work making fan giveaways for the first game! ;)

3 minutes ago, Brooklyn 3.0 said:

Ted's play didn't really diminish after his injury. Cam's did. That's the difference.

factory glove GIF

Ted will be just fine. Look! A glove factory hard at work making fan giveaways for the first game! ;)

Teddy also had 3 full years to heal before he got his 5 game audition

Cam hasn't had any real time off up until this last year and that's the difference 

3 minutes ago, Mr Mojo Risin said:

I think there are a couple of differences, though.  TB's injury was gruesome, and while he has not been asked to play a full season since, he has looked recovered in the five plus game he played last year in New Orleans.  I don't think we have seen Cam look recovered at all, partially due to just bad luck (the foot injury last year).  That makes his status a vast unknown, whereas TB is a somewhat unknown.

2019 sucked for Cam and the Panthers, and not just the record.  Everybody was expecting it to answer whether his shoulder had recovered or whether it was still a problem.  Either way, that unknown status, to almost any degree, should have been put to rest.  Unfortunately, the season ended with no more answers than it started with.

Had Cam's contract run out after 2021 and not 2020, maybe his status would not have been as critical to us.  I still think we had until the trading deadline to determine his status, but the Huddle would still be howling if he looked okay in the first month, and then was dealt to a team fancying itself a QB away, or in need of a replacement for an injured starter.  I don't think keeping him was ever in the team's plan, and that is out of my control.  He11, it is all out of my control.

16 minutes ago, Mr Mojo Risin said:

Teddy also had 3 full years to heal before he got his 5 game audition

Cam hasn't had any real time off up until this last year and that's the difference 

You can't understand why people are ... excuse me ... were hard on Cam's performance coming off injuries, and aren't for someone who is farther away from his injuries and seems to be in tip top shape? Take your Free Agent Cam blinders off, man.

Teddy is not Cam but he doesn't have to be. Be a solid QB who can win some games with good smart play at times. Be a great locker room influence and teammate. I went back and watch some tape from last year and he looks solid. A top 15 level QB.

A great defense and weapons around him and yes we can win the SB. In 2015 Cam took us to the SB with no real weapons around him (Stew and Olsen at best) but because he had a great defense and Cam personally carried the offense on his back. 

With a good system in place, good talent to help share the burden, TB can take us there if, big IF, the defense takes the next steps and becomes great again.

In saying that, the Panthers are establishing an offense to help carry the team while they completely rebuild the defense for the long haul. If we take 5 or more defensive picks, I would not be surprised. I see at least an OL guy somewhere. 

And if TB shows he can play and hold his own, expect him longer than 3 years, which is OK with me because that meant things are going good. 

Don’t get me wrong ,I am a huge Cam Newton fan and was displeased how the whole situation went down but in the end I am still a Panther fan. Been one since it was first announced. With that being said, I am excited about Teddy. I love the comeback stories many people have endured. He will have familiarity with Brady being here. He has some weapons out there and as of now seems to be the clear cut starter so no pressure with looking over his shoulder. I am cheering for the kids. Hopes he lights up the nfl this upcoming season (if there is one). I am not a fan of tanking . I could careless if we get Trevor or not. It’s a gamble either way you look at it. At this point, I will say one of the most famous lines in nfl history, “Just win baby”

2 hours ago, Chief Keek said:

I'm hoping it works out but I still want Lawrence. Teddy isn't terrible, he's good when he has a great supporting cast but he can't carry a team on his back like most franchise QB.

Everyone's saying the same thing and there's anc extemely low chance this happens. Wed have to have a 2-3 win season AND Lawrence could have to declare for the draft , remember how luck went back to school when many panther fans were expecting to draft him for the longest time ??

Archived