• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

I am the only one excited about Teddy B's potential?

Jaxel

I know everyone see's this season as a tank year, and you are probably not wrong. However, I feel like Teddy can bring franchise quality QB play and have us competing, maybe not next year, but the year after. If there is anything to be impressed by, it's the determination and maturity that Teddy has demonstrated by working his way back from an incredibly devastating injury, one that would have ended a lot of QB's careers, to proving himself competent enough to show franchise potential again. The best part, he is only 27 and not yet even entering his prime.

I think there is a lot to like, this is your chance Teddy, take it by the balls.

I think Teddy can be an above average starter.  Better than 95% of the  other options out there in FA this year.  I had no delusions that we'd go after Tom Brady.  In the right situation Teddy is definitely a winning record and playoff QB.  I just don't think that situation is here, at least not for a couple of years.

When Brady was hired as the OC , Bridgewater was the obvious choice to be given the first chance to take over the offense.  He’s had two years in the NO offense and this is particularly important with the current industry shutdown.  Walker will probably have a package of 3rd/4th down and red zone plays.  Their offense is a variation of the West Coast, 3 step drop , catch and run.  I see some describing him as a check down QB, which is completely wrong.  Remember, Arians and his no risk it no biscuit offense wanted him if they didn’t get Brady.  He’s the same size as Montana/Young who ran this offense for years so he’s not small.  Walker is small.  
It wouldn’t surprise me if he did well enough in this offense with these players to get a second contract.

I think Teddy can be really good here. He has the supporting cast here to do everything we need to do. I am excited for him and wouldn’t feel bad at all to see him flourish here and roll into a longer contract.

Truthfully, it may be several years before I regain my optimism for Panthers football. That being said I'm still buckling in for the ride. 

The offense might be fun to watch at times, and I don't think teddy will be a below average starter by any means. Teddy won't win us a SB without a stellar defense, and I think we are at least 2 seasons away from a non porous defense at best. 

22 minutes ago, mattnasty919 said:

Truthfully, it may be several years before I regain my optimism for Panthers football. That being said I'm still buckling in for the ride. 

The offense might be fun to watch at times, and I don't think teddy will be a below average starter by any means. Teddy won't win us a SB without a stellar defense, and I think we are at least 2 seasons away from a non porous defense at best. 

Probably need to remove the  Super Bowl  idea from any expectations and just focus on watching how things are different and hopefully improving. Much better for sanity to forget that concept now.

I wanted them to sign TB last year as a backup insurance policy in case Cam's shoulder had not fully recovered or he went down again.  So, I am certainly not disappointed that they got him.  I was not in favor of moving on from Cam yet, but I knew that was possible and seemed to be where they were leaning all along, despite words to the opposite.

TB's detractors point to his pedestrian numbers in Minnesota and lack of lighting it up last year in New Orleans.  However, we need to remember that Minnesota was designed to run the ball with AP and play defense.  AP was out TB's first year, but they were not suddenly going to become Air Coryell, by design.  They never will as long as Mike Zimmer is running the show.

Last year, Brees was not winging the ball downfield, either.  TB was the backup, and when Brees went out, the Saints do what teams normally do with the backup now starting: they clamped down on both the offensive and defensive game plans.  That is natural, at least until the offense develops a rhythm with the new starter.  If you look at his 2019 game-by-game results, you see that he "grows into the role" and can see the Saints game plan for each game. 

Am I excited?  I wouldn't go that far, but not a lot on the football field excites me anymore.  Did I want Cam to be the starter?  Yes, but I started to come to terms with that not happening a couple of months ago.  Given the options, including drafting somebody at #7, am I happy we have TB?  Yes.  I don't think there was anybody realistically available that was any better, including Brady at 43 when the season starts.

I also believe that given the scheme in Minnesota at the time and his role last year, we probably still have not seen what he can do on an NFL field.  I think we got a glimpse in his later starts last year, but beyond that is an unknown.  That, I do kinda find exciting.

Teddy is Alex Smith, a guy who may not make many costly mistakes but will not elevate the team through his play. It's very unexciting and while there may be wins, it's not enough to get over the hump even if this roster was stocked. Look at KC (where I live) pre-Mahomes. I'm a Panthers fan of course but with the Chiefs local lived through the years of 'so close, but not good enough' and now got to see the Super Bowl excitement firsthand. I can't get excited about Bridgewater.

Archived