• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Marty Hurney Conference Call

Mr. Scot

44 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Things gleaned from this...

- The Turner-Okung trade was initiated by the Chargers; that doesn't really increase my confidence that things will fall in our favor on that front

- Hurney and Tepper discussed the trade with Newton, not Matt Rhule; can somewhat understand since Rhule is a relative stranger; still... :Eyes_Emoji_42x42:

- No answer as to why the decision was made other than to say that they told Newton (who hasn't seemed to be all that accepting of the decision)

- "We acted as soon as the decision was made"; yeah...not buying it, that decision was probably made a long time ago.

- Hurney says that they called Cam's people to say they were seeking a trade; no mention of Newton's reps wanting to control the process :thinking:

- Still won't say it's a rebuild; as usual, sounds like a guy who thinks the team just needs a little tweaking to win now

- Marty has always been a self-promoter; hence, how he really likes to remind people that he drafted Cam Newton as if we didn't know

- In the same vein, Marty still trying to talk up Greg Little; that's another thing I'm not buying into

I picked up on the same things---"I drafted Cam...still high on Little..."  The Charger trade was not his idea---did they play him?

Were they in discussions with Marty about a trade for Cam and they threw that deal in so that Marty would open the door for dealing with the Chargers?  An "ice breaker?"  Did the Chargers use the Cam trade leverage to get this deal done, knowing that they were not interested in Cam?  Did Marty get played?

And about that deal---a good deal for the Chargers does not mean it was a bad deal for us---if Marty truly believes Little is a project (and I do) he was fairly right to do so.  Here is what he did not say:

"Turner was a bad contract and has not played up to his deal.  Yes, he has back doored his way into a few pro bowls, but he has not graded out that well.  I traded him to ditch a bad contract and took on a bad contract from the Chargers--one that would only hurt us for one year instead of three (like Turner).  So, to hide what might be a bust in Little, I signed Okung and will use the 'he needs to develop' like to buy time." 

Did the Panthers not just recently announce that they may take a peek at GL at Guard?  If so, they don't seem to have a plan--or this was a lie.

37 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Then of course we traded up to get Little because we thought someone else wanted him when they didn't :eyeroll:

I’ve seen you say this a lot. Is there a source for this, or are you just inferring it base upon the fact that no one picked Little before the Panthers?

2 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

I picked up on the same things---"I drafted Cam...still high on Little..."  The Charger trade was not his idea---did they play him?

Were they in discussions with Marty about a trade for Cam and they threw that deal in so that Marty would open the door for dealing with the Chargers?  An "ice breaker?"  Did the Chargers use the Cam trade leverage to get this deal done, knowing that they were not interested in Cam?  Did Marty get played?

And about that deal---a good deal for the Chargers does not mean it was a bad deal for us---if Marty truly believes Little is a project (and I do) he was fairly right to do so.  Here is what he did not say:

"Turner was a bad contract and has not played up to his deal.  Yes, he has back doored his way into a few pro bowls, but he has not graded out that well.  I traded him to ditch a bad contract and took on a bad contract from the Chargers--one that would only hurt us for one year instead of three (like Turner).  So, to hide what might be a bust in Little, I signed Okung and will use the 'he needs to develop' like to buy time."

Interesting take as to whether Cam discussions might have been included :thinking:

The thing about the Turner deal, as I recall it actually would have been better for us either cap-wise or comp pick wise to have just traded him for a pick. Thus, if the idea was to unload him, that would have been the better deal to go with.

However, seeing as the trade was initiated by the Chargers, it doesn't really sound like we were going to unload him otherwise.

1 minute ago, Bama Panther said:

I’ve seen you say this a lot. Is there a source for this, or are you just inferring it base upon the fact that no one picked Little before the Panthers?

Roaring Riot was online in the All Pro section during last year's draft. He had this and more updates before they happened.

46 minutes ago, TheSpecialJuan said:

This trade reminds me of the one Hurney did a few years ago when he traded Daryl Worley for Torrey Smith. Everyone was killing him for it but ultimately we got the better of the deal. Let's hope the Okung trade is similar.

Lol, we did? Did you know that Worley has been starting for the Raiders for the past year and a half and has been ranked higher than Donte? Smith never even signed with another team after we paid him $350,000 for each of his 17 receptions.

fuger emptied the band aid box didn't he? Everything he stated sounds like total chaos and someone who doesn't know how to do their job. Won't discuss about Cam? Let Cam discuss that by the end of this week. He is totally taking the heat for Tepper's inept decision making.

55 minutes ago, Shocker said:

Okung for Trai was a great deal for the Panthers.  Trai is so overrated its not funny and we get out of next years cap hit.

Okung won't play a single snap during the regular season and i'm willing to bet money on that. If he does, it'll be the first game and he'll be done by the third quarter. Awful player swaps, nobody wins.

10 minutes ago, stbugs said:

Lol, we did? Did you know that Worley has been starting for the Raiders for the past year and a half and has been ranked higher than Donte? Smith never even signed with another team after we paid him $350,000 for each of his 17 receptions.

May I remind you that Worley was arrested and then released by the Eagles a few weeks after the trade. 

7 minutes ago, Mr Mojo Risin said:

I dont know how anyone can hate Marty and not David Tepper. Tepper has one hand up Marty's ass and the other up Rhule's ass. If you think Rhule was hired and Marty retained were to be anything more than "Yes men" you're fooling yourselves.

I don't think too many people would dispute that Marty is a Yes Man, but I don't feel like I know enough about Rhule yet to say anything for certain.

That said, for quite a while there, Rhule dutifully spoke about how he couldn't wait to coach Newton.

The team would probably like for you to believe that no decision was made at the time those statements were being put out there.

I don't buy that story one bit.

Archived