• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Marty Hurney Conference Call

Mr. Scot

Just now, MasterAwesome said:

Yeah...considering you think Hurney mentioning that he drafted Cam is him “self-promoting”, it is clear your interpretation of others’ statements is heavily skewed by your biases lol. Unless you wanna actually quote the source as they are intended to be, rather than your secondhand relay of it, then that doesn’t mean a whole lot. You have a known tendency to constantly extrapolate your own beliefs upon innocuous statements.

Sure :)

I answered his question within three posts and gave him the exact source. Several posts later you not only missed that I had already answered the question but added (incorrectly) that I never give sources. 

But if you're really that concerned about whether the information is accurate, I can easily ask Roaring Riot to answer directly if you like.

3 minutes ago, stbugs said:

He wasn’t facing all these charges. He had the one pre-draft that I believe the team investigated. Some drunk driving cases? Again, he was arrested after he was traded. There’s nothing else. You are trying to make it seem like there were. I don’t disagree with moving on from him, but maybe it was our shitty coaching and him getting thrown to the wolves as a 3rd round rookie starter. Whatever the case, he’s played well and Torrey Smith was useless. We didn’t win that trade. 

Believe what the fug you want to believe.. Don't care.. But reality is it was more then a on the field thing with Worley.. He took care of business with that female and got out of town..

4 minutes ago, stbugs said:

Lol. How come it was never posted in here? I’ll believe what I see not your posts trying to make it seem like he was Adam Jones.

Because this isn't TMZ..lol And he got it handle with said female before it became something..

39 minutes ago, MasterAwesome said:

Yeah probably from Mr. Scot himself LOL. He has repeated that countless times. You’d be surprised at what the subconscious will misremember when your mind gets hammered over and over with misinformation. There is no record of that being said anywhere on the internet from anyone with vastly superior sources than Roaring Riot.

Yeah, about that...

Marty Hurney says Panthers considered Little a first round talent  - USA Today

As it turns out, Hurney and the Panthers were trying to move up to get Little much earlier in the draft. Speaking in an interview with Sirius XM NFL Radio, Hurney talked about Little. He says they were trying to trade up to get him as early as the No. 21 overall pick in the first round.

What you have here is confirmation from Hurney himself that they wanted to get Little in the first round, and that in fact they started efforts to trade up to as high as #21 but couldn't get it done until Round Two.

There is, in fact, a whole discussion on the board from when that happened that mentions the story (on page 3, without any mention of me) about how Little would have been the pick at 16 had Burns not fallen, so this is actually old news.

Hurney tried to trade up to get Little as early as #21

Now, if you wanna see the discussion that was actually ongoing at the time of the draft where Roaring Riot nailed the picks ahead of time, you have to be an All Pro member but the link is still alive. Page three is where the pertinent discussion begins. If you check the time stamps, you'll see this discussion was posted while the Draft was happening.

All Pro Draft Thread

And again, if you wanna question Roaring Riot's info, let's just say there are plenty of us from All Pro prepared to laugh at you.

1 hour ago, Mr. Scot said:

Yeah, about that...

Marty Hurney says Panthers considered Little a first round talent  - USA Today

What you have here is confirmation from Hurney himself that they wanted to get Little in the first round, and that in fact they started efforts to trade up to as high as #21 but couldn't get it done until Round Two.

There is, in fact, a whole discussion on the board from when that happened that mentions the story (on page 3, without any mention of me) about how Little would have been the pick at 16 had Burns not fallen, so this is actually old news.

Hurney tried to trade up to get Little as early as #21

Now, if you wanna see the discussion that was actually ongoing at the time of the draft where Roaring Riot nailed the picks ahead of time, you have to be an All Pro member but the link is still alive. Page three is where the pertinent discussion begins. If you check the time stamps, you'll see this discussion was posted while the Draft was happening.

All Pro Draft Thread

And again, if you wanna question Roaring Riot's info, let's just say there are plenty of us from All Pro prepared to laugh at you.

There was a video of Brandon Beane celebrating the Panthers taking Little instead of Cody Ford. Any other team in between chose IOL and had passed on him already. Why is this even an issue. It was stated repeatedly and has proven itself out just like every other “theory” that isn’t 100% behind the team and GM that was discussed this past off-season. 

For a GM that.never does anything wrong, this team seems to suck an awful lot

Rodrigue has posted a summary article in The Athletic (Placing Marty Hurney's comments in context)

Excerpts:

On Cam Newton: Newton’s eventual release by the team was pretty optically messy. Hurney confirmed The Athletic’s report last month that he had approached Newton’s camp immediately after making the decision to try to trade Newton, saying that he let Newton know (and spoke with him in person) a day before the announcement. Of course, Newton took issue with the press release from the team, that stated they had “given him permission” to seek a trade (thus indicating that Newton himself had asked for it), which Newton denied on Instagram at the time. The Panthers agreed to terms with new quarterback Teddy Bridgewater later that day.

The Athletic reported that Bridgewater was one of several options at quarterback that had been brought up in fluid discussions among team leadership, including Rhule and owner David Tepper, throughout the spring — but early in those discussions, it was thought that the former Saints backup would be too pricey.

Also discussed were the options of trading Newton or keeping him, one source said, and allowing him to play out the 2020 season on a “prove-it” deal of sorts. Multiple sources told The Athletic that the Panthers discussed the idea of trading up in the draft for LSU quarterback Joe Burrow, to pair him with new offensive coordinator Joe Brady — an option that would require too much capital for a rebuilding team to be feasibly entertained deep into the pre-draft and free agency process.

Once it became clear that Bridgewater would be available for less than what they initially thought, that was considered at that point to be the lowest-risk option ahead of the Panthers, with potentially the highest reward. Ultimately, Hurney parted ways with the quarterback he drafted No. 1 overall in 2011.

“You have to make difficult decisions every year, and this was probably one of the most difficult,” said Hurney. “I mean, I drafted Cam. We all know everything he’s brought to the organization both on and off the field … We put a lot of time, thought and communication into every decision we make, and as soon as we make those decisions, we act on them.”

The Panthers were not able to find a trade market for Newton, and released him. Hurney declined to discuss the Panthers’ exact reasoning for moving on from Newton, who remains unsigned.

Some folks in this thread have talked about divorcing Rhule from that topic. This makes clear that Rhule was indeed part of the decision making process, though not part of the discussion with Newton when they told him their intentions.

On Christian McCaffrey’s contract: Talks between the Panthers and the camp of running back Christian McCaffrey are expected to begin soon in regards to a possible extension, multiple sources have told The Athletic. Hurney on Monday could only confirm that the team has had internal conversations about McCaffrey.

“I’ve never talked about contracts, but obviously we’ve had internal discussions,” said Hurney. “Everybody knows what we think of Christian as a player.”

The Athletic reported after the NFL combine that the team is expecting McCaffrey’s camp to approach negotiations playing heavily toward his versatility, particularly his abilities in the passing game. McCaffrey finished the last two years as the team’s No. 1 receiver, and in 2019 recorded a historic 1,000 rushing/1,000 receiving season. There is a growing movement among NFL decision-makers and analytics personnel that moves away from high-dollar contracts for running backs, who are thought to depreciate in value like a new car off the lot. But there is much speculation across the league that McCaffrey’s camp will be seeking a contract that could re-set the running back market — and that someone will give that contract to him, whether it’s the Panthers or not.

As has been said elsewhere, extension talks are "expected to begin soon" but the Panthers aren't going to talk about it.

On Russell Okung and Greg Little: One of the Panthers’ early moves in free agency was a trade with the Los Angeles Chargers, that swapped Pro Bowl guard Trai Turner with veteran left tackle Russell Okung. Hurney said the trade was actually proposed to him by Los Angeles via e-mail.

“I got an email one night, actually after a report came out, and they proposed the trade with Russell for Trai,” he said. “Obviously, you know, the opportunity to get a left tackle that has played at Russell’s level, and obviously we have (new offensive line coach) Pat Meyer who was with him last year, and very familiar with him … Trai has been a great player for us, but the ability to get an experienced left tackle, someone who can really help bring (second-year tackle Greg Little) along — we think Greg is very talented and has a good chance to be a very good player, and maybe has some position flexibility.”

That last point could indicate that the Panthers will try Little, who played only left tackle through his entire collegiate career, only practiced (when he wasn’t hurt) at left tackle last season and is a long-legged, long-armed tackle prototype for whom Hurney traded up last spring while touting as a hopeful long-term solution for the Panthers at left tackle, at a different position. Like guard.

It's not stated that the Panthers are completely giving up on Little possibly playing left tackle in the future (Hurney sure isn't) but it doesn't sound like that's in the cards right now.

On being competitive: Hurney gave no indication that the Panthers were going to lean into the idea of “tanking” in 2020.”You look at it as a ‘one good decision at a time’ mentality, and try to build your team and make it as competitive as it can be,” he said.

Yeah...

Alaina Getzenberg also posted a summary in The Observer, focusing mostly on Newton: Panthers GM explains why Newton was released

I kinda question the headline, though to be fair article writers generally don't write the headlines. Getzenberg did write in the text that Hurney "shed perspective" on what happened in the events surrounding Newton's release.

Excerpts...

Newton, who missed all but two games in 2019 due to a Lisfranc injury in his left foot which he had surgery on in December, is yet to sign with a new team. Releasing him cost the Panthers just $2 million in dead salary cap space. He was owed $21.1 million in the final year of his contract if on the roster.

Hurney shared that they had only informed Newton’s representatives that they were seeking a trade partner a day before it became public. The team announced the news March 17. Later that day, they agreed to terms with their new quarterback, Teddy Bridgewater.

“We put a lot of time, thought, communication into every decision we make. As soon as we make those decisions, we act on them,” Hurney said. “So, as soon as we (decided to move on from Newton), I called Cam’s representatives and told them that we were going to start calling teams about seeing if there was trade interest in Cam.

“Once you know we spent time doing that, and seeing that teams were interested and we got to a point where we thought that it’s really, you know, it didn’t seem like we were going to be able to make a trade in the near future and we thought that it was in the best interest for everybody to release him.”

Newton has yet to publicly comment much on what has taken place over the last month other than sharing a few thoughts on Instagram, but a source with direct knowledge of the situation confirmed to The Observer that Newton wished to remain in Carolina. He posted his interpretation of the team saying it “gave permission” to Newton’s representatives to seek a trade a partner.

“Stop with the word play. (I) never asked for it,” Newton wrote. “Please do not try and play me, or manipulate the narrative and act like I wanted this; you forced me into this.”

He also later said in a video on Instagram that “they gave me up on me,” not specifically mentioning the team.

Hurney shared that both he and team owner David Tepper spoke to Newton personally about their decision, but the general manager declined to comment on the specifics of their conversation.

He also declined to get into specifics about the decision-making in relation to the quarterback’s health and ability to pass a physical.

“A lot of thought and communication went into it. And once we made that (decision), we let Cam know immediately and, you know, these are all these difficult decisions that have their own timeline, each one of them. And you make them for reasons ... and obviously a lot plays into every one of those decisions as it did this one,” Hurney said. “I just think that you guys know how much we respect Cam and again, I appreciate everything he’s given and it was extremely difficult, but that’s where we ended up.”

The biggest trade the Panthers did pull off this offseason was sending guard Trai Turner to the Chargers in exchange for left tackle Russell Okung in February.

Hurney spoke for the first time about the move, explaining that the Chargers originally emailed him with a proposal and that they couldn’t pass up the opportunity to bring in an experienced left tackle like Okung.

“I actually got an email one night, actually after a report came (about Turner’s availability), and they proposed a trade, with Russell for Trai. Obviously, the opportunity to get a left tackle that’s played at Russell’s level … we were very familiar with him,” Hurney said. “Trai’s been a great player for us, but the ability to get an experienced left tackle, somebody that can help bring Greg along. We think Greg (Little) is very talented and has a chance to be a very good player, and maybe have some position flexibility.”

The move came as a bit of surprise for a variety of reasons. It put the future of Little, also a left tackle, in doubt, after the team traded up to select him in the second-round of the draft last year. He dealt with two concussions and an ankle injury during the 2019 season, playing in four games. There was also speculation that the team could move him to a different position on the line, despite his significant experience at left tackle, which Hurney insinuated could come to be with the comment that he has “position flexibility.” But the general manager also said he views the move as an opportunity for Little to grow, while giving the line depth.

Said Hurney: “One of the goals of this offseason, and we have plenty of them, is to try to improve the depth of our offensive line and we thought being able to get a left tackle with the ability that Russell Okung has was just — it was very hard to trade Trai, but we thought that was a decision that we wanted to make in the big-picture plan of our offensive line.

“We have all the confidence in the world in Greg, and it just gives him time to come in and get with a guy who has played in this league at a high level for a long time and develop with Greg.”

2 hours ago, Mr Mojo Risin said:

I dont know how anyone can hate Marty and not David Tepper. Tepper has one hand up Marty's ass and the other up Rhule's ass. If you think Rhule was hired and Marty retained were to be anything more than "Yes men" you're fooling yourselves.

@thefuzz had a great comment about this. He said it feels like Herniay runs the show one day, then Rhule the next day , followed by Tepper daily show.

30 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Why in the holy eff would we reach out to Cmac about a contract extension? 

Simplest answer: They want to keep him.

More than one analyst has said that the unwritten rule when it comes to free agents is to not let them get to the final year of their contract. So if the Panthers do want top ensure that he never hits free agency, getting an early start on at least preliminary talks would make sense.

Will they actually be able to keep him? Jury's still out on that.

7 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Simplest answer: They want to keep him.

More than one analyst has said that the unwritten rule when it comes to free agents is to not let them get to the final year of their contract. So if the Panthers do want top ensure that he never hits free agency, getting an early start on at least preliminary talks would make sense.

Will they actually be able to keep him? Jury's still out on that.

Not for running backs 

2 minutes ago, Cookie Lyon said:

This proves that Cam didn't demand a trade like the Panthers tried to make it seem. 

Our organization never inferred that Cam “demanded” a trade. This is some CNN/FOX level twisting of a narrative. Stop being part of the problem.

Archived