• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

CB scouting reports

AU-panther

Someone asked me in anther thread if Okuda could play press, so I decided to do some research.

Here is a great article by PFF reviewing some of the top CBs in the class, by no means is it a complete list, and there are others they like a lot also.  If i'm not mistaken they are really high on the Armstead guy that Verge was talking about.

I'm a fan of Okuda and even Henderson (with a trade down) but there are several others that should be available with our second pick that should be quality starters also.

Might not need its own thread but with us very likely to take a CB early in the draft some people might find it interesting and informative.

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-2020-nfl-draft-biggest-pro-con-every-top-defensive-back-prospect

49 minutes ago, WarPanthers89 said:

It’s wild how thin we are at CB right now and every team in our division has a top 10    WR. 

It’s honestly just wild how thin we are at every single position on defense...

DE we have Burns and not much else (Haynes/Miller have some potential but haven’t proven a thing, and Burns is a better fit for 3-4 than 4-3 most would agree).

DT we have a badly underperforming KK and “Woodrow Hamilton” (who?) and literally no one else on the roster.

LB is just Shaq (is he really a cornerstone LB?) and Whitehead (replacement level starter who can’t cover at all).

CB is just Donte and Corn Elder... High potential with Donte but took a big step back last year and still gives up way too many big plays to be counted on.

S is somehow one of our better positions with Boston and Burris, but neither is more than an average starter and we don’t even have a 3rd safety for depth...

I mean that is just putrid... I view every single position group on D right now as a big weakness for starters, let alone any depth. Even if Teddy is the real deal and our O balls out I have a hard time seeing us win games with this defense.

On NFL Network, they had a mock--and Steve Smith Sr. had to pick --- the Lions took Brown and the Giants took Wirfs---The Dolphins took (believe it or not) Becton---Smith had Okudah and Simmons--he took Simmons.  I would have taken Okudah,

Someone help me out-- of all the second round CBs, I want Jaylon Johnson.   Why? I can't quite put my finger on it.

4 minutes ago, t96 said:

It’s honestly just wild how thin we are at every single position on defense...

DE we have Burns and not much else (Haynes/Miller have some potential but haven’t proven a thing, and Burns is a better fit for 3-4 than 4-3 most would agree).  I like Weatherly.  He is at best a rotational DE, but he will start opposite Burns, IMO.  I would not be surprised to see us add a DE in the 3rd.

DT we have a badly underperforming KK and “Woodrow Hamilton” (who?) and literally no one else on the roster.  WHAT ABOUT KERR? Not too exciting, but he is the starting NT right now.

LB is just Shaq (is he really a cornerstone LB?) and Whitehead (replacement level starter who can’t cover at all).  Carter played a lot last year.  He is a good reserve.

CB is just Donte and Corn Elder... High potential with Donte but took a big step back last year and still gives up way too many big plays to be counted on.  Our biggest need.

S is somehow one of our better positions with Boston and Burris, but neither is more than an average starter and we don’t even have a 3rd safety for depth... I think you are being kind about Burris---they did see something they like in him--but he has not been a S long.

Bold--although I agree with your premise, I wanted to add a few details.

Chris Simms' (who has a decent record for rumors/draft rankings), mentioned how scouts have Henderson and Terrell a lot closer to Okudah than the media has projected.  I believe he mentioned there's a few teams  that actually have Henderson as their #1 because of scheme fit.

Diggs, Johnson, and Fulton are super interesting, could start right away IMO.  

Also high on Noah I. from Auburn.  He may go high R2. 

And there's some sleepers from small schools like Amik Robertson and Reggie Robinson.

And a lot of good sized mid rounders from good programs like Arnette, Dantzler, Hall, Dane Jackson. 

1 hour ago, MHS831 said:

Bold--although I agree with your premise, I wanted to add a few details.

Weatherly, we’ll see, he’s been fine in a rotational role, I doubt he becomes this year’s Shaq Barrett...

Kerr — forgot about him. I had a look at the official roster on Panthers.com and he wasn’t on there yet. Not very inspiring though.

Even with your points, this D on paper is as bad as our 2010 offense was...

3 minutes ago, t96 said:

Weatherly, we’ll see, he’s been fine in a rotational role, I doubt he becomes this year’s Shaq Barrett...

Kerr — forgot about him. I had a look at the official roster on Panthers.com and he wasn’t on there yet. Not very inspiring though.

Even with your points, this D on paper is as bad as our 2010 offense was...

No, I agree.  You have a depth chart with starters who would be fighting for roster spots somewhere else.  there is no way 1 draft addresses 20% of our needs (if you consider the success rates of the average draft).

Archived