• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

"Derrick Brown is not a sexy pick."

18 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

tom cruise what GIF

Dude, I happened to take a quick look at that Cat Scratch site post-draft and this same guy is all over that site too poo'ing on Brown, lol.

No, he doesn't use the same name over there, but he's pretty much copy-and-pasting from one sight to another with his anti-Brown jihad.

Charlton-Heston-Crazy-laughing.gif

8 minutes ago, tiger7_88 said:

Dude, I happened to take a quick look at that Cat Scratch site post-draft and this same guy is all over that site too poo'ing on Brown, lol.

No, he doesn't use the same name over there, but he's pretty much copy-and-pasting from one sight to another with his anti-Brown jihad.

Charlton-Heston-Crazy-laughing.gif

I am far from a Panthers homer but the level of vitriol towards Brown means either he is a huge Clemson/Simmons fan or Brown railed his GF. 

Does anyone actually buy into Brown having two bad drills meaning he is garbage? Clearly not many NFL teams did.

On 4/24/2020 at 1:22 PM, micnificent28 said:

Its exactly star. Star level strength but I would argue star was a bit faster. Star ate double teams which is basically what we got Brown to do. He is not some pass rusher.

They drafted him to develop a pass rush. He's obviously going to eat blockers for breakfast but they're not gonna pull him off the field on third down. They're gonna line him up on third and long and hope he collapses the pocket.

1 hour ago, SnowPanther said:

They drafted him to develop a pass rush. He's obviously going to eat blockers for breakfast but they're not gonna pull him off the field on third down. They're gonna line him up on third and long and hope he collapses the pocket.

I understand why they got him. Hes an anchor. Don't think we took star off on passing downs either. 

On 4/24/2020 at 9:54 AM, TheMostInterestingMan said:

I’m still one of the biggest Star defenders around this place and always thought we should keep him over KK because I truly felt at the time Star was a big key to KKs success.

But Brown is much more explosive than Star was imo. He already shows more drive on tape to me than Star did in college. And Brown did it against superior competition 

That was the thing that stood out to me. Brown was just bigger and nastier than everyone else. He tossed people aside like a tornado. He won't have that advantage against NFL linemen this year but imagine with a few off-season strength programs under his belt he will be much better than Star. 

12 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

That was the thing that stood out to me. Brown was just bigger and nastier than everyone else. He tossed people aside like a tornado. He won't have that advantage against NFL linemen this year but imagine with a few off-season strength programs under his belt he will be much better than Star. 

Even if he can just be a slight stronger and more athletic version of Star then he was worth the pick at #7 imo. I keep seeing posts about how how a big run stuffer that doesn’t get 10 sacks a season can’t be worth a top 10 pick. But how many of the sacks KK, Burns and Gross-Matos will be because of the attention Brown demands?

KK’s numbers sure dropped after Star left. Just because Star wasn’t getting the sacks himself does not mean he didn’t improve our pass rush

6 hours ago, TheMostInterestingMan said:

Even if he can just be a slight stronger and more athletic version of Star then he was worth the pick at #7 imo. I keep seeing posts about how how a big run stuffer that doesn’t get 10 sacks a season can’t be worth a top 10 pick. But how many of the sacks KK, Burns and Gross-Matos will be because of the attention Brown demands?

KK’s numbers sure dropped after Star left. Just because Star wasn’t getting the sacks himself does not mean he didn’t improve our pass rush

Thats not the point. No one is saying he isn't a good player and wont demand a double team. The point is his value at 7. Those guys tackles picked that high.. suh williams mccoy so on, Generational talents who demand a double team and are freaky athletic enough to also still get the sacks. Those guys are Generational athletes. A run stuffer just isn't... When is the last time a sub par athlete "mostly" run stuffer went top 7? It just doesn't happen.

On 4/27/2020 at 1:28 PM, kungfoodude said:

I am far from a Panthers homer but the level of vitriol towards Brown means either he is a huge Clemson/Simmons fan or Brown railed his GF. 

Does anyone actually buy into Brown having two bad drills meaning he is garbage? Clearly not many NFL teams did.

Most if not all teams had Brown in their top 5 on the big board. 

Just now, kungfoodude said:

Well apparently old micnificent28 here didn't have him in his top 500. Cause, you know, the Underwear Olympics is the most critical factor in NFL success.

Combine was probably 1% of Brown's evaluation. Tee Higgins had a majorly bad day at his pro day, but he still went #33, combine numbers actually matter for WRs and it had very little impact.

6 minutes ago, Verge said:

Combine was probably 1% of Brown's evaluation. Tee Higgins had a majorly bad day at his pro day, but he still went #33, combine numbers actually matter for WRs and it had very little impact.

People get the idea that you HAVE to be an elite athlete at every position to succeed, despite the fact that continues to not be the case.

Just now, kungfoodude said:

People get the idea that you HAVE to be an elite athlete at every position to succeed, despite the fact that continues to not be the case.

The only high profile recent example I can give for a player falling is Orlando Brown Jr. which he has obviously proven was stupid. 

1 hour ago, Verge said:

The only high profile recent example I can give for a player falling is Orlando Brown Jr. which he has obviously proven was stupid. 

Especially at those OL/DT spots. Yes it is fantastic if you are a freak athlete but the bulk of the players at those positions in the NFL are not. And, consequently, being a freak athlete does not make you an instant success in positions which rely heavily on having great technique or strength. 

Being an elite athlete is just one part of the puzzle. 

Archived