• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

NFL GMs to re-evaluate pre-draft process

Wes21

I've felt for years that the pre-draft process and talent evaluation processes in the NFL needed to be revisited.  The "grind it out" mentality is outdated with today's technology, and with today's big money I think we can all point to times where teams have completely overthought a prospect, a pick or their draft board in general.  John Lynch has come out and said he's going to re-evaluate things, and he's not the only one that has made similar comments.  Thoughts?

Easy to say once everybody's been put in a situation where they're working less. But I can't see every team permanently scaling back their draft prep, so eventually everybody's going to want to compete with that and we'll be back to normal. There are still ~350 draftable guys that everybody has to scout, and there's still an edge in having more info. That's a lot of work.

14 minutes ago, theinstrumental said:

Easy to say once everybody's been put in a situation where they're working less. But I can't see every team permanently scaling back their draft prep, so eventually everybody's going to want to compete with that and we'll be back to normal. There are still ~350 draftable guys that everybody has to scout, and there's still an edge in having more info. That's a lot of work.

Humanity in general is really good at forgetting valuable lessons learned during unique times once things return to normalcy.

If an organization as conservative and resistant to change as the NFL is starting to recognize some of their archaic ways of conducting business, maybe there is hope for the world after all.

There isn't, but I can dream.

This Is Fine GIF

1 minute ago, Moo Daeng said:

I think it would make sense to wait until any effects of the change on the end result can be realized. They haven't even met these guys in person yet.

Yes - this. The teams that have a very successful draft are more likely to do many more things remotely. But if you have drafts that are widely viewed as unsuccessful, I think the scapegoat will be lack of in-person exposure to prospects.

2 minutes ago, Icege said:

If an organization as conservative and resistant to change as the NFL is starting to recognize some of their archaic ways of conducting business, maybe there is hope for the world after all.

There isn't, but I can dream.

This Is Fine GIF

Don't hold your breath. Remember when 9/11 was going to be a great unifying moment for America? How long did that last?

Look at their results--53% of first rounders succeed.  Less than 50% of every round after that.

I cannot believe--with rosters of 53 players and the average career of around 3 years--which means that the turnover rate is around 30% per year, that they cannot find 7 players from a pool of 400 or so that can make the roster and contribute. 

Any time there is a major transition in life, some can't handle it.  Elementary school to middle school, middle school to high school, high school to college.

I played in high school and it was competitive.  I was good, so I got a college scholarship to play college ball---I was suddenly not that good.  It is mental---and then there were injuries----and then there were women---and then I was not sure why I went to college in the first place.  Imagine a young player who was more mature than me-someone who has always been praised, worshipped by coaches anbd fans--a lifetime of feeling elite--and suddenly, someone is better than you.  You are no longer top dog.  It gets in your head. 

I think we need more emotional intelligence testing.  Can they mentally withstand the heat.  I was not ready for it on the college level--can't imagine what it is like in the pros.  No, the money is a non factor--it does not help you on the practice field.  My dad used to remind me of the scholarship....I learned to hate the thing that forced me to stay in football--essentially, money.

2 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Don't hold your breath. Remember when 9/11 was going to be a great unifying moment for America? How long did that last?

I mean, it definitely brought us together in lines at the airport?

Hurray for the costliest of littlest victories? :crying:

1 minute ago, MHS831 said:

I played in high school and it was competitive.  I was good, so I got a college scholarship to play college ball---I was suddenly not that good.  It is mental---and then there were injuries----and then there were women---and then I was not sure why I went to college in the first place.  Imagine a young player who was more mature than me-someone who has always been praised, worshipped by coaches anbd fans--a lifetime of feeling elite--and suddenly, someone is better than you.  You are no longer top dog.  It gets in your head. 

There's a TON of truth to this. It's pretty much only the stars at each level that progress to the next level. Some just can't wrap their minds around the concept that they're now a role player at the next level. A JAG if you will. It's not that they weren't good enough, it's just that they were unwilling or unable to accept this new reality. Had they accepted it and dedicated themselves to finding a niche they could fill, they would've probably been able to salvage a career. Look at Colin Jones. Terrible DB, but he made a career out of being a special teamer. Pretty much every roster has one of those types of guys. Look at Tyler Larsen. Not a good starter, but his value is being a versatile backup. He can fill in anywhere along the interior OL. 

Yeah I think traveling for draft things will go way down. Instead of getting on planes and driving around they can log on and watch a pro day or do an interview. If you feel you need a face to face meeting, then do it. But otherwise you can cover more ground and look at more on field talent from home.

5 minutes ago, Ship said:

Yeah I think traveling for draft things will go way down. Instead of getting on planes and driving around they can log on and watch a pro day or do an interview. If you feel you need a face to face meeting, then do it. But otherwise you can cover more ground and look at more on field talent from home.

I doubt it. Even if most teams have plans for this, there will be some teams that go right back to the old way of doing things and everyone who isn't out there racking up the frequent flier miles will look like slackers in comparison.

Archived