• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

My opinion of what we do with our rookies.

Matt62881

12 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I'm sure all the people making all these statements about Chinn have watched a lot of Southern Illinois football.

I just want to get them as much PT and experience as possible this season since I honestly don't expect to be competitive anyway.

What I do like is we got athletic fast players.  Rhule has his way, or so they say, about bringing the best out in players.  Hopefully, they all will find their nitch in our defense.   Brown, Matos and Chinn have a chance to start and I think Roy will be a substitute.  I think the other players are at minimum a year away from being big time contributors.  

What is going to hurt us the most is No OTAs and minicamps.  Players get a chance to learn this system and improve some.  Without it we only have training camp and 4 preseason games to get our shyt together.  With a new defensive coaching staff and a new scheme our rookies are going to make a lot of mistakes and some of the vets will make their fair share.

This time next year, we are going to be saying we need to draft a safety and corner again because so many huddlers are ready to cut the cord as soon as a rookies doesn't show he's hall of fame caliber.

Jackson was a rookies and yet everyone is already cutting him from the team.  He made some good plays and he also made some bad ones.  Hopefully, the 2019 rookies improve this season.  I think if we start winning in the back half of 2020 I will be happy.  

11 hours ago, Matt62881 said:

I could definitely see some 3 safety sets but for our nickel package I'm not taking the 3rd safety off. I think they were both steals! 

I definitely think you're right about that, I just don't who lines up where yet (I seriously doubt Rhule and Snow are 100% at this point). I've seen it mentioned on the Panthers' site that both Burris and Chinn can play nickel. 

4 hours ago, PleaseCutStewart said:

Just curious, where did he line up? Nickel or outside?

If he can play nickel, that will be awesome! Just not sure how he will do against NFL slot receivers

He lined up in the drills that were just 1 on 1 was able to stick eith WRs. I haven't watched the full game to see if he got reps on the outside. 

Coach up the rookies and find ways to get them playing time on more than special teams. See where they fit instead of chasing a vision.

With Chinn, if his coverage skills improve we could have an amazing SS with awesome matchup potential. That would help the CBs tremendously.

14 hours ago, Matt62881 said:

I think this was one hell of a draft and will produce the most rookies starting ever, I know we had alot of holes but I think this will be a good thing on this occasion. 

Derrick Brown- obviously Nose tackle on most downs but in a 3rd and long situation I could see him playing 5 tech to get our best pass rushers on the field. 

Matos- Man this kid was a steal, his speed and length are exceptional, I watched him run down countless running backs and running qbs on film, obviously DE. 

Chinn- I think this kid is our new #1 cb sticking with the best wr wherever they may go. 

Pride- I think he will be the slot cb and because I think we use the nickel as our base he sees the field alot. Being in the slot covers up the issues he does have. 

Kenny Robinson--I think he is a automatic upgrade at safety from last year and believe he along with Tre can play both SS and FS. So I think he is fielded as our 2nd safety. 

Bravion Roy- I was looking for a guy just like this but I thought it was gonna be Leki Fotu. I actually think we got a better player in Roy. I see him as a rotational player like Love but playing mostly running downs. Him and Brown side by side should fix our run situation without the need of a safety in the box. 

Thomas Oliver- In the first year I think he is at best a dime CB, he could possibly beat out Corn for the spot. At worst he's depth! But thats all 7 picks making the roster 5 starting and 6 getting decent play time. 

If it works out like this and these guys play well and improve as the year goes along, I think you have to give Hurney at least another year. Maybe you bring in a guy for the money side of things but this would be one of the best drafts in panthers history if it works out like I think and possibly makes us competitive this year. What do you guys think? 

Agree on Brown and Matos. Chinn will be a safety and nickel on occasions. Pride will probably start outside then move to the slot once we pick up a good enough CB. I can see Robinson, Roy and Oliver as rotational players but will hit the field more this year than they should because of the race for a QB in next years draft!

10 hours ago, CPF4LIFE said:

He lined up in the drills that were just 1 on 1 was able to stick eith WRs. I haven't watched the full game to see if he got reps on the outside. 

If he can play the slot in a zone scheme I don't see why he couldn't play outside especially if he does have some experience at corner. Another poster mentioned him vs Julio but who honestly has a better athletic skill set to match Julio? Chinn had a 41 inch vert along with elite size and speed. 

16 hours ago, Verge said:

If we put Chinn on Julio we are going to have a bad time. 

If Chinn could indeed play corner skill set wise who on the team matches up better with him. This is the only reason I speculated it... 4.4 speed at 225 pds with a 41 inch vertical. 

23 hours ago, Matt62881 said:

Oh I know what it looks like but try to put the best players all on the field in the nickel package, what do you come up with? I'm not leaving Chinn or Robinson off the field. 

We now have a number of players that can play various positions at a high level for a change and to start with they will probably be interchanged to get the best combinations on the field. What a good problem to have and it brings this upcoming seasons  to a new excitement level for me.

One game I was thinking about was the Bucs, in this particular game i want to see alot of cover 2,3, and 6 with Chinn on Gronk, Donte on Godwin, and hopefully we resign Cockrell to play Mike Evans. This is the game that will test our picks the most as our front 4 will have to hold their own against the run while we keep 2 deep safetys and stay in nickel because I Dont see them pulling any of their guys of that caliber off the field. 

1 minute ago, KatsAzz said:

We now have a number of players that can play various positions at a high level for a change and to start with they will probably be interchanged to get the best combinations on the field. What a good problem to have and it brings this upcoming seasons  to a new excitement level for me.

Man if only keek had given this team one year with the new staff he probably would have been barely touched and we would be so damn dominant. 

Robinson maybe the sleeper starter of this bunch. Just beat out Burris, guy whos been on/off practice squads during 2 years. Its highly risky allowing a rookie to start as the last one between the endzone and WR. NFLs QBs are the best for a reason, they will make throws never seen daily and fool green rookies into a black hole. I see him as starting, maybe even week 1. 

Chinn should be the big nickle/joker/bufflao nickle/whatever just put him on the field. If he starts causing chaos at the 2nd level while brown is doing that at the 1st level.... that will put the defensive in the best position to surprise some teams. I worry about his health, cause hes a tackling missile.   

Roy is my favorite player in the draft class. Laugh if you want, I think he could have similar impact as Brown. 

Gross I feel needs at least one season of NFL weight room and coaching, DEs always take a while unless you are special. 

Brown better have his cardio ready, hes going to needed to play a huge number of snaps.

Pride and Oliver, if theres needs to be a surprise, please let it be here. Both need reps and positive reinforcement. Could be the best thing to happen if both or one is starting, or ruin their careers. NFC south has the best group of WRs, no breaks given here. 

Archived