• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Matt Rhule considering kneeling during anthem.

kungfoodude

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29365430/carolina-panthers-coach-matt-rhule-considering-kneeling-national-anthem

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- Carolina Panthers coach Matt Rhule said he's considering kneeling alongside his players during the national anthem this season in support of the movement against racial injustice.

"I would consider anything as we move forward," Rhule said Thursday on a video conference call. "I'm supportive of the cause. I'm supportive of the movement. I'm supportive of social justice. I think for every person, coach or player, that will be a very personal decision. I think it has to be made at the right time and the right reason for everybody."

The first-year coach hired from Baylor previously has told his players that he will support them for expressing their views about social injustice.

"I will support my players with whatever they do and then when the time comes I will really think deeply about what is the best thing for me and what is the best way I can show my support," Rhule said.

In 2016, San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick began kneeling during the national anthem to protest racial injustice. His ex-teammate Eric Reid kneeled alongside him and later played for the Panthers. Both players reached settlements with the NFL after filing grievances alleging owners colluded to keep Kaepernick out of the league.

Texans coach Bill O'Brien previously has said he will take a knee alongside his players during the national anthem.

Rhule, who like O'Brien is white, said he will confer with his players before making any decision about whether to kneel.

"I think a lot of this has come from the players so I will wait to see what direction they are leaning, and then I will make my decision," Rhule said.

Ehh it’s the stance he has to take—support the players. If he doesn’t have their respect he will fail. I think it’s stupid and doesn’t accomplish anything but really who cares? How does other people kneeling affect anyone else? I rarely even see the anthem—too busy getting a poo out of the way so I don’t miss kickoff or grabbing beers, etc. that’s if they even show it on tv which I think is inconsistent

41 minutes ago, t96 said:

Ehh it’s the stance he has to take—support the players. If he doesn’t have their respect he will fail. 

Well...it appears everyone does not get it.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2020/06/24/jack-del-rio-creates-stir-with-twitter-activity-redskins-have-no-comment/

Washington Redskins defensive coordinator Jack Del Rio created a stir among Twitter users with his social media activity Tuesday night, including a set of retweets — one of a post that attacked Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-NY) using a fabricated tweet and another that said Bubba Wallace, NASCAR’s only African American driver, “faked” a noose that a member of Wallace’s racing team had found in his Talladega garage this weekend.

“Really dude, WTF?” Del Rio wrote in the retweet of the post about Wallace. The original tweet appears to have been deleted, and it is unclear whether Del Rio was directing his comments at Wallace or the person who criticized Wallace.

After several Twitter users were critical of Del Rio, he responded by writing, “I’m 100% for America, if you’re not you can kiss my A$$,” as a retweet of a post that identified Del Rio as a supporter of President Trump.

Del Rio’s posts drew an angry backlash from many on Twitter, including former NBA Coach George Karl, but also praise from some fans and conservative websites.

A Redskins spokesman said the team would not comment on Del Rio’s tweets. No Redskins players appeared to react to them on social media.

Jack...stay off twitter.   lol

40 minutes ago, t96 said:

Ehh it’s the stance he has to take—

or, perhaps, it is a cause he believes in.

I do not think the players would be upset if he didn't kneel, so long as he continued to support them in other ways, which it is clear he will. I am willing to bet he wants to talk to them because he doesn't want his kneeling taking away from what they are trying to accomplish.

57 minutes ago, ladypanther said:

Well...it appears everyone does not get it.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2020/06/24/jack-del-rio-creates-stir-with-twitter-activity-redskins-have-no-comment/

Jack...stay off twitter.   lol

Yeah in today’s climate unfortunately you’re not allowed to have your own views and if you do you are immediately labeled and ostracized. He should know this and be smarter than that.

28 minutes ago, t96 said:

Yeah in today’s climate unfortunately you’re not allowed to have your own views and if you do you are immediately labeled and ostracized. He should know this and be smarter than that.

if your views are racist garbage, dumbass misguided patriotism, and/or based around spreading actual falsehoods, you deserve to be ostracized and I desperately hope you are 'smart' enough to express them via  social media platform so we all are aware of them.  a couple of those correspond directly to the nonsense in Del Rio's tweets.

those tweets aren't just a difference in opinion - they range from spreading outright lies in two cases to just dumbassery in another case.

39 minutes ago, mav1234 said:

if your views are racist garbage, dumbass misguided patriotism, and/or based around spreading actual falsehoods, you deserve to be ostracized and I desperately hope you are 'smart' enough to express them via  social media platform so we all are aware of them.  a couple of those correspond directly to the nonsense in Del Rio's tweets.

those tweets aren't just a difference in opinion - they range from spreading outright lies in two cases to just dumbassery in another case.

I’m smart enough to not use any social media. The viewpoint that kneeling during a national anthem doesn’t accomplish anything isn’t racist or misguided whatsoever.

Archived