• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

tEddY brIdgEwAtEr cAn't thrOw dEEp

Icege

4 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Good young players don't bounce around the league. How many sub-30 year old QBs can you recall that suddenly became legit starting QBs on their 4th team?

Teddy is here because he's familiar with Brady's system. He's here to help the install. Unless he wildly exceeds expectations, he's a stop gap. Look at his contract. It's a stop gap contract.

Sorry some of y'all want to live in a world of homer delusion.

I think both of us agree that nothing in Teddy's past is huge indicator of him being a franchise QB.  At this point everyone is "hoping" that he excels in this system, which is a huge gamble because most players at this point of their career are who they are.

I don't agree though that its a stop gap contract.  You don't pay a guy $20m a year to help teach a rookie.  That is what coaches are for.  QBs are the most overcoached position on the field.  HC work with them, OC works with them, QB coach works with them.  How many position coaches are only responsive for 2-3 players? QB coach and maybe kicking coach if you have one?  

Somebody in the organization thinks he has a really good chance of being a franchise QB for us.  The fact he does know the system is bonus, the fact he seems to be the good "mentor" type is a bonus (who knows if that is true), but you don't pay a guy that much just for those two things.

You can sign a "mentor" cheap every offseason.  The fact he knows the system and can help with a rookie helps you to justify the contract, but here again somebody thinks they can win with him.

If he plays great and becomes our franchise QB, to the point we don't feel the need to draft one next year, then it was an amazing signing.

If we still need a to draft a QB next year early in the draft then it was a waste of resources.  People need to remember moves like this don't happen in a vacuum.  The cap space and draft picks that you lose by signing TB would probably help the rookie QB more than TB himself. 

What helps a rookie QB more, spending $40-60m on an offensive line or having a "mentor" qb? 

What about those draft picks that could add an lineman or offensive skill position.  Maybe another TE, a center, another WR.  A third round pick usually gets you a pretty good center or TE prospect.

Personally I think he has a chance to play well in our system, its just a huge gamble that I'm not convinced I would have took.

2 hours ago, AU-panther said:

I think both of us agree that nothing in Teddy's past is huge indicator of him being a franchise QB.  At this point everyone is "hoping" that he excels in this system, which is a huge gamble because most players at this point of their career are who they are.

I don't agree though that its a stop gap contract.  You don't pay a guy $20m a year to help teach a rookie.  That is what coaches are for.  QBs are the most overcoached position on the field.  HC work with them, OC works with them, QB coach works with them.  How many position coaches are only responsive for 2-3 players? QB coach and maybe kicking coach if you have one?  

Somebody in the organization thinks he has a really good chance of being a franchise QB for us.  The fact he does know the system is bonus, the fact he seems to be the good "mentor" type is a bonus (who knows if that is true), but you don't pay a guy that much just for those two things.

You can sign a "mentor" cheap every offseason.  The fact he knows the system and can help with a rookie helps you to justify the contract, but here again somebody thinks they can win with him.

If he plays great and becomes our franchise QB, to the point we don't feel the need to draft one next year, then it was an amazing signing.

If we still need a to draft a QB next year early in the draft then it was a waste of resources.  People need to remember moves like this don't happen in a vacuum.  The cap space and draft picks that you lose by signing TB would probably help the rookie QB more than TB himself. 

What helps a rookie QB more, spending $40-60m on an offensive line or having a "mentor" qb? 

What about those draft picks that could add an lineman or offensive skill position.  Maybe another TE, a center, another WR.  A third round pick usually gets you a pretty good center or TE prospect.

Personally I think he has a chance to play well in our system, its just a huge gamble that I'm not convinced I would have took.

Sadly, in 2020's NFL, $20M a year really is stopgap money for QBs. Teddy's $14M cap hit this year is 18th in the NFL. As of now, his $23M cap hit next year is set to be 13th. An under 30 year old QB that other teams thought was starting caliber would've gotten $30M per year.

On 8/14/2020 at 9:00 PM, LinvilleGorge said:

You realize Teddy has been under contract with four NFL teams, right? 

How could we NOT realize it?  You've mentioned it probably 18 times on this thread.

Your strong belief in your own narrative is, in a sense, admirable -- but the sheer redundancy reminds me of that guy in the basement, "we believe in the truth over facts."

16 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Sadly, in 2020's NFL, $20M a year really is stopgap money for QBs. Teddy's $14M cap hit this year is 18th in the NFL. As of now, his $23M cap hit next year is set to be 13th. An under 30 year old QB that other teams thought was starting caliber would've gotten $30M per year.

I mean there is obviously a risk. His injury combined with the fact he hasn’t played a full season in years is why his contract is middle of the pack for NFL starting QBs. We knew the risk of signing him and he still got an average (middle of the pack) salary for a starter. He is not as good as Rodgers or Wilson so there was no way he was getting in the 30s. Again I’m not saying he is going to be a top 5 QB, but there is potential for him to be a solid starter here.

On 8/15/2020 at 9:20 AM, LinvilleGorge said:

Good young players don't bounce around the league. How many sub-30 year old QBs can you recall that suddenly became legit starting QBs on their 4th team?

How many of them in their 3rd season suffered an injury that resulted in not only an ACL tear, but also a dislocation of the knee joint and other structural damage with a 17 - 19 month recovery period that they returned from after just 14 months?

23 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Who exactly are these stopgap QBs making 40-60m?....

Philip Rivers  - $25m for one year

Mariota - stopgap for Carr not playing well, $17.5m total for 2 years 

Foles - stopgap if Trubinsky doesn't play well, $24m total for 3 years

Lets look at the guys making 20-30m a year.

Smith, Rivers, Brady, Brees, Carr, Stafford, Garoppolo, Brissett, Tannehill, Ryan

Outside of Rivers, none of those contracts are "stopgap", all of those other guys were offered those contracts to be the "man", not the stopgap.

Somebody in our organization thinks he has a chance to be a franchise QB for us.  He was not signed just to be a stopgap, and if he was then that was a bad decision in my opinion.

What helps next years rookie QB (Trevor, Fields, Lance) more?

One year of mentoring by TB or

40m in cap space to spend on the offense, plus a 3rd round pick (the comp pick we lost).  Also if we win a few more games because of TB we lose draft position, pick 7 to pick 3 is about 700 points which a late first  

You give me 40m in cap, a 1st and a 3rd and I can improve an offensive line a lot.  That will help a rookie as much as anything.

1 hour ago, AU-panther said:

Smith, Rivers, Brady, Brees, Carr, Stafford, Garoppolo, Brissett, Tannehill, Ryan

Outside of Rivers, none of those contracts are "stopgap", all of those other guys were offered those contracts to be the "man", not the stopgap.

Somebody in our organization thinks he has a chance to be a franchise QB for us.  He was not signed just to be a stopgap, and if he was then that was a bad decision in my opinion.

40m in cap space to spend on the offense, plus a 3rd round pick (the comp pick we lost).  Also if we win a few more games because of TB we lose draft position, pick 7 to pick 3 is about 700 points which a late first  

You give me 40m in cap, a 1st and a 3rd and I can improve an offensive line a lot.  That will help a rookie as much as anything.

You won't find me arguing that signing Teddy was an intelligent cap space move. It wasn't 

3 hours ago, AU-panther said:

You give me 40m in cap, a 1st and a 3rd and I can improve an offensive line a lot.  That will help a rookie as much as 

Foles and Mariota are backups, not stopgap starters. Not apples to apples obviously. We arent paying our backups and qbs in general the same as they are so Im not sure what you are trying to say there.

2 hours ago, Moo Daeng said:

Foles and Mariota are backups, not stopgap starters. Not apples to apples obviously. We arent paying our backups and qbs in general the same as they are so Im not sure what you are trying to say there.

Someone said TB is making “stopgap” money, I’m asking who are the other stopgaps that are. 

They aren’t stopgaps in the truest sense of the word but that is kind of proving my point.  There aren’t many stopgaps in the league and definitely not ones making 20m a year. 

Both Foles and Mariota are in situations where if the current starter falters they might become stopgaps for future draft picks but you are  welcome to name better examples of a stopgap if you want or can.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived