• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers Signing Former XFL WR Cam Phillips

XClown1986

8 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Hometown kid. I hope he makes it.

I was just looking into him and saw that he ran a 4.79 40 with a sub-30" vertical at his pro day. Was he hurt or something? The guy had over 3000 career receiving yards at VT. That seems impossible if he's truly that athletically limited.

I just read that he had Sports Hernia, didn't play in VT's Bowl game or participate in the NFL Combine (not sure if he got an invite). He also had surgery to repair the injury. Again I don't know the sequence of events here or have any idea of what his 40 time was prior to his sports hernia injury...

15 minutes ago, PantherPhann89 said:

I just read that he had Sports Hernia, didn't play in VT's Bowl game or participate in the NFL Combine (not sure if he got an invite). He also had surgery to repair the injury. Again I don't know the sequence of events here or have any idea of what his 40 time was prior to his sports hernia injury...

Thanks. Makes sense. Putting up those kind of stats in a P5 conference and then posting those workout numbers just didn't add up.

The guy is a stud. I hope to see some of that XFL success translate over to the NFL. I love the fact that we are giving a hometown kid a shot! If they have talent there is nothing wrong with a little home cooking, I mean Brad Hoover was a huge home hit!

newton_david.png&w=160&h=160&scale=crop

David NewtonESPN Staff Writer 

The Panthers are signing former XFL star receiver Cam Phillips, reuniting him with backup quarterback P.J. Walker, a league source told ESPN's Dianna Russini. The two were teammates for the Houston Roughnecks. Phillips led the league with 455 yards receiving in five games. He had nine touchdowns. He will add depth to a receiver corps somewhat depleted by injuries. Omar Bayless had successful arthroscopic knee surgery on Tuesday.

Panthers signed WR Cam Phillips, formerly of the XFL's Houston Roughnecks.

Phillips was arguably the XFL's unofficial runner-up MVP behind Panthers QB P.J. Walker, who he'll now reunite with in Carolina. The 24-year-old wideout finished with league-highs in catches (31), receiving yards (455), and receiving scores (9) under coach June Jones and the Roughnecks' high-flying progressive scheme. He'll compete as a reserve out of camp.

Archived