• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Making an Offer on a Home

Captroop

45 minutes ago, Captroop said:

The roof was, well, not exactly re-done, 2017, so newish. But considering it was just slapped on top of the old roof, I don't know that it matters much. The roof underneath could be as old as 18 years. We definitely put the roof in our repair request addendum. I agree, they will either fix everything we ask for, or tear up the contract. And either way I'm happy with the outcome. I'm not moving into and tethering us to a house that I'm on the fence about, and I'm certainly not paying to fix these things out of our pocket.

Some folks are fine with this type of job, others are not...I'm one that would not want that on my roof.  If it's only 2 sets, and in MD where you mentioned it may not be as big a deal, I have heard of 7+ layers before and that would make me run for the hills.

Do you have a good agent working for you?

51 minutes ago, thefuzz said:

Some folks are fine with this type of job, others are not...I'm one that would not want that on my roof.  If it's only 2 sets, and in MD where you mentioned it may not be as big a deal, I have heard of 7+ layers before and that would make me run for the hills.

Do you have a good agent working for you?

As first time home buyers we didn't want any kind of project house. We want move in ready. We were okay fixing cosmetic issues that we can handle on our schedule. But fixing a roof and resolving bona fide safety hazards right from the jump? We're not ready to sign up for that.

We're very happy with our agent so far, which is a miracle because it was just a luck of the draw from Redfin. She's scarily type-A and proactive; a true maven. I knew it was a good sign when I sent her a list of houses we wanted to tour, and the next thing I knew I was getting calendar invites for each tour scheduled out on the same night. That's a lot of working the phone and organization, which we both appreciated.  And she actually is serving as an advocate for us at every step and in the negotiations, rather than just trying to close the deal.

We had an agent when we made an offer on a house about 2 years ago, who forgot to mention that the house was on a flood plain in Alexandria that flooded twice in the last 12 years when Cameron Run overflowed. After that we became very eagle-eyed for agents who just want to get the deal done to cash in their commission, versus the ones who are trying to get us the best deal.

36 minutes ago, Captroop said:

As first time home buyers we didn't want any kind of project house. We want move in ready. We were okay fixing cosmetic issues that we can handle on our schedule. But fixing a roof and resolving bona fide safety hazards right from the jump? We're not ready to sign up for that.

We're very happy with our agent so far, which is a miracle because it was just a luck of the draw from Redfin. She's scarily type-A and proactive; a true maven. I knew it was a good sign when I sent her a list of houses we wanted to tour, and the next thing I knew I was getting calendar invites for each tour scheduled out on the same night. That's a lot of working the phone and organization, which we both appreciated.  And she actually is serving as an advocate for us at every step and in the negotiations, rather than just trying to close the deal.

We had an agent when we made an offer on a house about 2 years ago, who forgot to mention that the house was on a flood plain in Alexandria that flooded twice in the last 12 years when Cameron Run overflowed. After that we became very eagle-eyed for agents who just want to get the deal done to cash in their commission, versus the ones who are trying to get us the best deal.

Sounds like you may need to walk from this one if you don't feel tip top about it.  How old is the home?

Good agents are out there, I recommend to anyone who plans on being in any one place for more than a year or two should have one.  They aren't just there to sell, or buy...they can help with finding rentals as well.  Bad agents are a burden, but good ones can really help folks, especially first time buyers.

Let her know to start looking for you guys again.

19 minutes ago, toldozer said:

Fort mill is where my wife and I want to be as well. Getting very pricey there for the land we want though. 

Yea, York county conventional loan limit is like $510k and with prices going up, unless you got cash it will be hard to afford.  Fort Mill and Indian land home prices are blowing up. New build base is around $450k before design center so average new build $600k-$650k.  Means need at least $100k in cash at closing. Marvin, Weddington and Ballantyne new builds are about $900k-$1MM so people moving 5-10 minutes outside city limits and save big money.

20 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I can't imagine spending over half a million dollars on a fuging tract home in South Carolina. Holy poo.

My ultimate goal for my next home is to not be able to see another house from my house. Not sure I'll be able to pull that off, but yeah... I want a lot of elbow room.

I'm gonna probably end up with a small place at the coast, and a big piece of property inland less than an hour with a small house that can be somewhat self sustaining.

I'm gonna need some privacy as I get even crankier in old age.

1 hour ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I can't imagine spending over half a million dollars on a fuging tract home in South Carolina. Holy poo.

My ultimate goal for my next home is to not be able to see another house from my house. Not sure I'll be able to pull that off, but yeah... I want a lot of elbow room.

York County schools are way better than CMS.  CMS is turning into hot pile of poo.

22 hours ago, Ja Rhule said:

York County schools are way better than CMS.  CMS is turning into hot pile of poo.

Exactly why we want to move there.  We will have a lot of equity when we move but trying to find a decent house with at least half an acre ideally more in that area is proving very difficult 

55 minutes ago, toldozer said:

Exactly why we want to move there.  We will have a lot of equity when we move but trying to find a decent house with at least half an acre ideally more in that area is proving very difficult 

Yea... cookie cutters are popping up everywhere.  Decent land and big home is usually around $1MM.  Charlotte home and land prices are insane.

On 10/10/2020 at 10:43 AM, LinvilleGorge said:

You must have the ability to go where the prices are good, everything else be damned. But there are so many variables, like kids, schools and jobs. 

For example: Historic District in Edenton. Double lot with detached 2-car garage. $199k. Couple blocks off the water (Chowan River, Albemarle Sound)

https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/219-E-Church-St_Edenton_NC_27932_M57183-92422

The William McNider house - ca. 1839 - is a handsome side-hall plan boasting a double lot and fabulous double porches! The home was restored in its entirety in 2018 by Down East Preservation Company, well known for their admirable preservation efforts. The foyer opens to an airy living room that features a wood burning fireplace with the original mantel in place. An oversized opening gives way to an eat-in kitchen that spans the width of the home, and adjacent powder and laundry rooms flank the rear entry. Upstairs, there are three bedrooms and two full baths, with the master having private access to the second story porch. The fenced yard is deep and wide, with a detached double garage that is also ideal for workshop or studio space. The restoration included ALL NEW wiring, plumbing, HVAC! This delightful home is being offered at a rare price point for Historic Downtown Edenton!

c119aa9785c000b1bc184c00da4cdae3l-m2424034635od-w1024_h768.jpg

On 10/7/2020 at 11:53 AM, Captroop said:

fug. I think I developed ulcers from the home inspection process. Does anyone go through that at not get the feeling they're making a huge mistake and about to ruin themselves financially?

I mean unless you are buying a brand new home.....the home inspection process is suppose to make you feel bad.   Essentially all homes with some age are going to have issues pending you have a real inspection done on it. 

On 10/7/2020 at 11:53 AM, Captroop said:

fug. I think I developed ulcers from the home inspection process. Does anyone go through that at not get the feeling they're making a huge mistake and about to ruin themselves financially?

I missed this post. What came back to give you ulcers? No, I definitely didn't feel like that. 

Archived