• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

PFF recap of the game

AU-panther

1 hour ago, Varking said:

I’m cool with Teddy starting this season for us. I just don’t believe he is the guy who will guide us through the next 9-12 years. I just worry that if we miss out on one of the two top QBs this year that the year after doesn’t have these stand out studs like Fields and Lawrence who clearly have separated themselves from the pack. 

THIS. ...but FUG he gets paid like someone that can do more! Support the man 100! I actually like him more than many here. But damn 24mil per year.

9 minutes ago, Ready 2 Win said:

THIS. ...but FUG he gets paid like someone that can do more! Support the man 100! I actually like him more than many here. But damn 24mil per year.

24 mil per year isn't much for a qb anymore.  I also believe we can cut him after next season with minimal cap problems, which is enough time for the coaches to get more of their players in place.

2 hours ago, mrcompletely11 said:

"His average depth of target on the day was only 4.2 yards down the field, and only 36.1% of his yards came through the air. Compare that to the other side of the ball, where Patrick Mahomes‘ average depth of target was 9.8 yards downfield and he gained 66.4% of his yards through the air. It looked like they were playing different positions altogether."

Keep beating the Teddy is the franchise drum.  Godalmighty that is a horrific stat. 

No it's not, and dumb sh-t like this is why I hate stat based analysis. It never takes into account what a team is trying to do.

The plays we call in our offense are shorter by nature, especially this past Sunday as the coaching staff was playing the game to keep Mahomes off the field. Hence, a lot of high percentage passing. Even with that though, Bridgewater still managed to hit some nice long passes.

Basically, what you saw this past Sunday was typical of a WCO game plan. But somebody just looks at the stat line and says "oh, this is bad".

Bridgewater didn't necessarily have his best game this past weekend, but the stuff they're basing their criticism on is stupid.

1 hour ago, Proudiddy said:

While I agree, some of their analysis is very subjective and opinionated rather than fact-based, these stats are very telling.  These aren't like their "grades."  These are numbers that represent something tangible and quantifiable.  It affirms the issue many have had in that he's not attempting or making the necessary throws downfield to put us over the top.

Not when you take the system and the game plan into account.

If we were a vertical offense, maybe. We're not.

4 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Not when you take the system and the game plan into account.

If we were a vertical offense, maybe. We're not.

Agreed, but you don't have to be a vertical offense to miss a wide open DJ Moore running a streak down the field and not pull the trigger for it to still negatively affect your offense/team.

I agree Scot, stats without context can sometimes be misleading, but this time it's not.

24 minutes ago, Proudiddy said:

Agreed, but you don't have to be a vertical offense to miss a wide open DJ Moore running a streak down the field and not pull the trigger.  

I agree Scot, stats without context can sometimes be misleading, but this time it's not.

We stayed within two points of the world champions in a game where I thought we'd surely lose by double digits.

There are credible criticisms to be made, but the stat-based stuff is bullsh-t.

2 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

We stayed within two points of the world champions in a game where I thought we'd surely lose by double digits.

There are incredible criticisms to be made, but the stat-based stuff is bullsh-t.

I can't dispute it was a helluva gameplan, and for the most part a successfully executed one.  I'm proud of that.

But, I also think there were a few plays left out there that could've won us the game.

4 minutes ago, Proudiddy said:

I can't dispute it was a helluva gameplan, and for the most part a successfully executed one.  I'm proud of that.

But, I also think there were a few plays left out there that could've won us the game.

There always are when you lose.

Heck, there always are when you win.

My biggest concern with Bridgewater right now is that he doesn't seem to have any real chemistry with DJ Moore, at least not on a consistent basis. You can't put it on time because nine games in they've had plenty of opportunity to build a rapport. Throw in that Bridgewater obviously has good connection with both Curtis Samuel and Robby Anderson, and obviously there's some sort of issue.

Could part of the problem be with Moore? Sure it could. Even a lot of the problem could. But when he's open and there's not even an attempt, my first look is toward the quarterback.

8 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

There are incredible criticisms to be made, but the stat-based stuff is bullsh-t.

Lots of moral victories but with opportunity after opportunity to get actual victories they are falling short, and with very compartmentalized and identifiable chances to boot. At this point it's a trend and the QB handles the ball every play, but both this game and the season overall is consistent with what TB specifically put on tape in years past.

I'm just not interested in sticking with a player that I don't believe has a shot at getting it done in critical times and stats like this do support what has been seen on the field. Thus far that's where Teddy and the Teddy-led offense are at.

10 minutes ago, KSpan said:

Lots of moral victories but with opportunity after opportunity to get actual victories they are falling short, and with very compartmentalized and identifiable chances to boot. At this point it's a trend and the QB handles the ball every play, but both this game and the season overall is consistent with what TB specifically put on tape in years past.

I'm just not interested in sticking with a player that I don't believe has a shot at getting it done in critical times and stats like this do support what has been seen on the field. Thus far that's where Teddy and the Teddy-led offense are at.

My view of Bridgewater is still that he's a "good enough" quarterback under the best of circumstances, but then that description applied to Ron Rivera as a coach too.

If you can get better, you should.

what he does just isn't special. in the nba the players with the best shooting percentage are pretty consistently bad shooters. why? they don't take difficult shots. dunks and layups, everything within 5 feet of the basket. teddy takes a lot of dunks and layups. you don't want dwight howard shooting 3s and you don't want teddy bridgewater pushing the ball downfield. teddy is a smart guy and he knows his limitations. this staff seems smart and they seem to know the limitations of their players.

9 minutes ago, GOOGLE JIM BOB COOTER said:

what he does just isn't special. in the nba the players with the best shooting percentage are pretty consistently bad shooters. why? they don't take difficult shots. dunks and layups, everything within 5 feet of the basket. teddy takes a lot of dunks and layups. you don't want dwight howard shooting 3s and you don't want teddy bridgewater pushing the ball downfield. teddy is a smart guy and he knows his limitations. this staff seems smart and they seem to know the limitations of their players.

terrible analogy

52 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

No it's not, and dumb sh-t like this is why I hate stat based analysis. It never takes into account what a team is trying to do.

The plays we call in our offense are shorter by nature, especially this past Sunday as the coaching staff was playing the game to keep Mahomes off the field. Hence, a lot of high percentage passing. Even with that though, Bridgewater still managed to hit some nice long passes.

Basically, what you saw this past Sunday was typical of a WCO game plan. But somebody just looks at the stat line and says "oh, this is bad".

Bridgewater didn't necessarily have his best game this past weekend, but the stuff they're basing their criticism on is stupid.

You don't even know what the team was trying to do, none of us here do.  Maybe the coaches did want him to push the ball more withing the "WCO game plan"

Just because you run WCO doesn't mean you aren't allowed to throw past five yards.

Did Burrow have a larger average depth of target at LSU?  I would guess yes.

The stats themselves aren't stupid, its up to people to decide how to interpret them.

Here are the questions you have to ask:

Did he throw short because that is what the team wanted?

Did he miss or ignore opportunities to push the ball?  that maybe even the coaches wanted?

If the coaches are content with his pass selection is it because they don't' think he can do more or is he running the offense just like they want?

2 hours ago, JABANOG said:

Rarely does anything go perfect in a game but your QB should still pull it out if he has the opportunity to nonetheless, and Teddy just hasn't finished 

Really missed the point there. Nobody is saying he wins under perfect conditions only, but instead what was said was that even the most minor improvement in team play and there's a different outcome -- not just this past week, but last as well and a few more before that.

This team is a play or two per game away from being a world-beating organization. Teddy may not be the long-term franchise QB, but it should be obvious that some of these modest problems the team is having could well be corrected massively in just another off season. Right now I would work on fixing some of those things like o and d lines, safety work and TE which can be done with little risk before jettisoning a good QB who is working with less than optimal situations.

Archived