• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Beane versus Hurney

ADR

Tepper has only had the team 3 years. Beane was gone before he got here. I don't think you have to worry about him keeping Marty too much longer. He used to be a minority owner with the Steelers. He has to know that he will never develop that their type of year in/year out success with Hurney as GM. He made a good hire with Rhule. I think Hurney will be around possibly for a year (or two) and he'll be replaced. I just hope he hires a solid guy to replace him.

My bad- I knew Beane was gone earlier (though he should have been kept then). Just drawing comparison as to what he has done in Buffalo versus what Hurney has done here and I am not sure why Teooer cleabed house but kept Hurney. I do like the Rhule hiring adn think he will be a good coach in 

Why do we have so many random new posters posting lame threads now? They're all the same topics that have been discussed here over and over and are like 2 lines with no added input... Thought there was a 100 post minimum to start a thread on here?

5 minutes ago, t96 said:

Why do we have so many random new posters posting lame threads now? They're all the same topics that have been discussed here over and over and are like 2 lines with no added input... Thought there was a 100 post minimum to start a thread on here?

You're telling me you didn't already know Brandon Beane was in Buffalo?

Meh...Beane has signed so many Panthers' castoffs, which they seem to be getting more out of than we ever did.  I'd put that more on coaching than the GM.  I wouldn't exactly commend their drafting since he took over...Josh Allen has been great, but no one else really stands out.  Ed Oliver, Tremaine Edmunds, and Cody Ford have all been underwhelming so far by all accounts.  They also drafted running backs in the 3rd round in back-to-back years...something I feel would have been strongly criticized in here.

Remember when he traded a 3rd for Kelvin Benjamin?  They also traded a hell of a lot for Stefon Diggs, who is a great receiver no doubt...but they gave up a 1st, 4th, 5th, and 6th and took on a huge contract.  That's also a move I think would be largely criticized in here if we had done it.

I'd probably still rather have Beane just cause he's young and I think he'll grow more and more comfortable in the role as he gains experience, but his resume really isn't all that impressive so far.  Yeah the Bills seem to be on the upswing since he was hired, but he was hired a few months after McDermott who I personally think is much more responsible for their turnaround.

I won't say who he is, but there is a certain radio host I enjoy listening to on a regular basis. I don't agree with everything he says but a lot of the time he's dead on with his opinions. He feels if you have certain things in place your almost guaranteed to have consistent success in the NFL

1) Good Owner (non meddlesome)

2) Good/Great HC  

3) Good/Great QB

4) Good/competent GM

If you hit on those things (or at least 3 out of 4) you'll win games in this league.

I don't know much about Buffalo's current owner since Ralph Wilson died, but with McDermott, Allen, and Beane in place Buffalo is about to post back to back winning seasons and playoff births after years of futility.

The Panthers have never had all 4 (or even 3) at the same time, hence, they've never had back to back winning seasons in their 26 year existence (however we have had back to back to back playoff years when we got in with a 7-8-1 in the 2nd year of our run).

1 hour ago, Mr. Scot said:

You can fault Tepper for keeping Hurney, but Beane was gone well before he bought the team.

Can't really put that on him.

I can fault him for keeping both Ron and Marty when the regime changed over....only to put more dog poo out on the field again.

Tepper cannot care about winning, if this is the direction that he is taking...or maybe he does care, and has absolutely no idea how to do it.  Not sure which is worse?

Just now, thefuzz said:

I can fault him for keeping both Ron and Marty when the regime changed over....only to put more dog poo out on the field again.

Tepper cannot care about winning, if this is the direction that he is taking...or maybe he does care, and has absolutely no idea how to do it.  Not sure which is worse?

That was Jerry Richardson. He wanted to win, but had no clue how to do it, and some of his core values conflicted with what he needed to do.

If that's also Tepper, then we've gained nothing.

36 minutes ago, MasterAwesome said:

Meh...Beane has signed so many Panthers' castoffs, which they seem to be getting more out of than we ever did.  I'd put that more on coaching than the GM.  I wouldn't exactly commend their drafting since he took over...Josh Allen has been great, but no one else really stands out.  Ed Oliver, Tremaine Edmunds, and Cody Ford have all been underwhelming so far by all accounts.  They also drafted running backs in the 3rd round in back-to-back years...something I feel would have been strongly criticized in here.

Remember when he traded a 3rd for Kelvin Benjamin?  They also traded a hell of a lot for Stefon Diggs, who is a great receiver no doubt...but they gave up a 1st, 4th, 5th, and 6th and took on a huge contract.  That's also a move I think would be largely criticized in here if we had done it.

I'd probably still rather have Beane just cause he's young and I think he'll grow more and more comfortable in the role as he gains experience, but his resume really isn't all that impressive so far.  Yeah the Bills seem to be on the upswing since he was hired, but he was hired a few months after McDermott who I personally think is much more responsible for their turnaround.

By all accounts, Both the Vikings and the Bills each won the trade. Bills needed a bonafide #1 and had the cap space to make it happen, Diggs was unhappy in Minny, and the Vikings used the pick they got to draft Justin Jefferson who is playing far better than they could have hoped at a fraction of the cost. 

Could they have drafted Jefferson? Sure, but the draft is a gamble and there was no guarantee that he would have been there when they picked so they made the move to get a known commodity in Diggs. 

All in all, Beane has been great for them, far better than Hurney has been for us. He has put together a roster with depth and players that contribute (positively) to the team throughout. Something Hurney really sucks at doing now. 

What are you going to do though?

BTW, you forgot to mention Tre'Davious White, one of the best Corners in the game right now (Drafted by Beane).

Archived