• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Joe Person: Taylor Moton not likely to return next year, Curtis Samuel might also leave

TheSpecialJuan

11 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

This is the Cam situation all over again. No one wanted to believe that one either because it was idiotic. No one wants to believe this one about Moton either because it's idiotic. At some point we just have to accept that we're fans of an idiotic team. I'm afraid of what that means for us as fans...

Disagree with you here, but really semantics.

I didn't want to believe that Cam was injured beyond repair, but my eyes told me a different story, I was actually hoping (for the teams long term health) that we didn't sign Cam to an extension, and by that, meant he was no longer going to be here.

This is just downright plain stupid and indefensible, the Cam move made some sense, even if it stung, this makes absolutely no sense what so ever.

4 minutes ago, RoaringRiot said:

Joe/The Athletic make money by selling subscriptions, not serving ads. You sell subscriptions by putting out quality, well-written, accurate pieces - not by clickbait headlines. How is this so hard for some of you to understand? 

I'm a subscriber. The site doesn't even have ads that I've seen, except for subscription offers.

Throw in that they've got some of the best names in sports journalism as part of their organization now.

This is very very very similar to the old 2 All-Pro threads 

1. The Cam thread where people were telling @RoaringRiot that he knows nothing.  And ttrying o make an educated guess

2. Or the draft threa where he told us that Marty Like Greg Little as a 1st rd target and possibly would be our 1st rd pick.  Then when we picked Burns said that Marty would try to trade up for him.  "Quit Speculating, etc etc etc.  You know nothing."

9 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

boom, no good/smart writer is simply going to make something up

It really has to be black or white for you, doesn't it?  A weatherman predicts based on radar, weather patterns, etc.  He tells you how he arrives at his conclusions with charts, maps, graphs, etc.  Then he predicts. Sometimes he is right, based on the reliability of his data.  What data is Person providing?  List it, please.  He too is predicting, not reporting--there is a difference.  If you believe him because you have determined him to be a "Good/smart" reporter (do not know how you arrived at that conclusion), then go for it, but I am saying that there are many options and he is predicting something based on limited information.  Believing this to be fact is gullible.  So you think you are making points, but you are not.  Here is what I want you to do:  1. List the things you learned from Person's comments, 2. list the evidence or concrete reason for thinking its true beside each item in #1.  Then we will do a validity comparison to see how logical and reasonable you are.

14 minutes ago, ncfan said:

This is very very very similar to the old 2 All-Pro threads 

1. The Cam thread where people were telling @RoaringRiot that he knows nothing.  And ttrying o make an educated guess

2. Or the draft threa where he told us that Marty Like Greg Little as a 1st rd target and possibly would be our 1st rd pick.  Then when we picked Burns said that Marty would try to trade up for him.  "Quit Speculating, etc etc etc.  You know nothing."

I'd love to know when Little would've finally gotten drafted had we not taken him. I have to laugh to keep from crying watching the Bills' draft room react with shock when they saw who we picked after we traded up to jump them to get Little. Little wasn't even on their radar.

23 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

It really has to be black or white for you, doesn't it?  A weatherman predicts based on radar, weather patterns, etc.  He tells you how he arrives at his conclusions with charts, maps, graphs, etc.  Then he predicts. Sometimes he is right, based on the reliability of his data.  What data is Person providing?  List it, please.  He too is predicting, not reporting--there is a difference.  If you believe him because you have determined him to be a "Good/smart" reporter (do not know how you arrived at that conclusion), then go for it, but I am saying that there are many options and he is predicting something based on limited information.  Believing this to be fact is gullible.  So you think you are making points, but you are not.  Here is what I want you to do:  1. List the things you learned from Person's comments, 2. list the evidence or concrete reason for thinking its true beside each item in #1.  Then we will do a validity comparison to see how logical and reasonable you are.

You act like Person is the only one saying these things.

I love you use the weather man reference.    If all the local weather casters on Fox, NBC, ABC, CBS, etc are all calling for it to snow tomorrow.  Are you like "ha, they know nothing, it was sunny yesterday theyre just speculating "  and then then throw on a short sleeve shirt and shorts and head to work?

7 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I'd love to know when Little would've finally gotten drafted had we not taken him. I have to laugh to keep from crying watching the Bills' draft room react with shock when they saw who we picked after we traded up to jump them to get Little. Little wasn't even on their radar.

That video hurts.

Just now, ncfan said:

You act like Person is the only one saying these things.

I love you use the weather man reference.    If all the local weather casters on Fox, NBC, ABC, CBS, etc are all calling for it to snow tomorrow.  Are you like "ha, they know nothing, it was sunny yesterday theyre just speculating "  and then then throw on a short sleeve shirt and shorts and head to work?

ease up buddy, he worked in the observer mail room, he knows people

1 hour ago, MasterAwesome said:

There were reports (and I believe even quotes from Hurney) that they hadn't initiated contract talks because they are waiting to see what happens with the salary cap next season.  That could ultimately be the deciding factor...and hell, could maybe even be considered a rational levelheaded decision that Hurney isn't exactly known for when it comes to dishing out massive contracts.

Although that type of wait-and-see conservatism seems like a shot that would stem from the top, rather than it being a unilateral Hurney call.  Hard to believe Tepper is giving Hurney this type of incredibly impactful autonomy when he's on the last year of his contract and there is no indication yet of any extension in the works.

This ^^^^^^

Just now, ncfan said:

I'm gonna refer back to a discussion we had surrounding Newton. Specifically, that a pretty high percentage of sports reporting is talking about things that might happen.

Guys like Ian Rapoport, Tom Pelisdero, Albert Breer and others report inside information about what teams are thinking and planning, but then circumstances change or somebody changes their minds. People criticize those guys for being wrong when the truth is they weren't wrong at the time. Things just went in a different direction.

If I said "we're having a picnic this weekend", that'd be a correct report about my plans. Then if the weekend got here and it was storming and I said "we're not doing the picnic", it doesn't make that first statement inaccurate, wrong or a lie. It just means things didn't pan out like expected.

And that happens in sports a lot.

5 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

This would be relevant if it was only Person saying this.

I'm not disputing the claim itself, just find it ironic that people are suddenly treating Person as this incredibly reputable bastion for journalism given how much people have trashed him in the past.

1 hour ago, LinvilleGorge said:

When you see a real talent evaluator stare in disbelief.....

That was absolutely painful.  F Marty.

9 minutes ago, RoaringRiot said:

Joe/The Athletic make money by selling subscriptions, not serving ads. You sell subscriptions by putting out quality, well-written, accurate pieces - not by clickbait headlines. How is this so hard for some of you to understand? 

There's a difference between customer retention vs. acquisition.  You seem to be describing how to retain subscriptions - surely you still need attention-grabbing headlines to entice new customers to subscribe, no?  How do you get people to subscribe when they don't click on your article to begin with?

Title grabs your attention -> article, however, is inaccessible behind a paywall -> you decide "Damn, I really want to read this and see where it goes" -> !Subscribe

I would also question your claim that these articles have to be "accurate" (i.e. factual) - does he not still write some op-ed pieces on The Athletic?  That's simply all people are questioning - whether this is truly factual "reporting" or if it's more of a speculative/op-ed piece.  I just did a google search to pull up some of his articles and here's one headline from a couple weeks ago:

7 minutes ago, MasterAwesome said:

There's a difference between customer retention vs. acquisition.  You seem to be describing how to retain subscriptions - surely you still need attention-grabbing headlines to entice new customers to subscribe, no?  How do you get people to subscribe when they don't click on your article to begin with?

Title grabs your attention -> article, however, is inaccessible behind a paywall -> you decide "Damn, I really want to read this and see where it goes" -> !Subscribe

I would also question your claim that these articles have to be "accurate" (i.e. factual) - does he not still write some op-ed pieces on The Athletic?  That's simply all people are questioning - whether this is truly factual "reporting" or if it's more of a speculative/op-ed piece.  I just did a google search to pull up some of his articles and here's one headline from a couple weeks ago:

Will or Should?

Archived