• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Enough to make a person cry. Alternatives to drafting Little

raleigh-panther

Yeah as a fan regardless of the sport I don't give two fugs about the players we missed because it happens to everyone and every team. 

Example the teams that could use DJ Moore or the latest Chinn. BUT going into that draft I was full steam ahead double dipping at DE. Taking whoever fell to use in the first and then draft winovich later. Cat has a CRAZY motor 

40 minutes ago, cookinbrak said:

The kick in the nuts that never ends. Could probably got Little had we stayed put, and got Winovich as a bonus.

Every team can second guess picks.  Everyone misses.

The problem with trading up is you end up missing mulitple times.

Its ego, there is always some coach or GM who thinks they are smarter than everyone else and they are 100% sure about a player.

Once you realize every pick is a gamble you start to realize that trading up is actually the bad play.  Sure there are times when it works out for a player but overall and over time it doesn't.

DG use to say he didn't want to trade a quarter for two dimes.  In reality what you are trading is a 20% chance of being right for a 15% and 10%.  Over time the two picks will work out better.

The current draft trade value chart favors moving down and getting more picks.  The exception to this is QBs.  The reward for being correct on one of them is so high it makes for  the opportunities you are losing by giving up picks.

1 hour ago, LinvilleGorge said:

You can do this with every poor draft choice. There was lots of talk that the Panthers loved Little. I was just hoping that talk was wrong.

I think what stings is how huddlers are right over people paid millions...you know like Amini, A Edwards, holding onto jarrett forever, Grier, Paradis signing, M Kalil tagging peppers instead of trading, paying Shaq and not BB, let Norman and norwell walk to pay for Kalils retirement and Olsen to sit on the bench.....I could probably think of a dozen more. 

I mean these moves are criticized with general consensus right here on the huddle when they were made without hindsight...how does this happen?

I always thought we as fans should be wrong more often than not....Huddlers being right vs people in the FO paid millions...I kind of see an weird, backwards issue here

Now Little, pretty sure 80% of this forum was pretty mad about this draft night...especially since Hurney traded up for him...and the cherry on top is he reportedly would’ve taken him in the first round of Burns wasn’t there

I see this as serious issues Hurney has not learned from, this kind of poo is what prevents the Panthers from being a contender, these are Hurney’s biggest flaws rearing it’s head, again.

I’ve been very pro Tepper for everything he has done but the fact he can’t even interview quality candidates because he refuses to fire Hurney is really starting to piss me off as a fan. I love how sneaky this whole ‘interim’ GM bullshit he fed us was...never knew interim meant 5 years ongoing or whatever.

Why even say stuff like that unless you know there is an issue? He knows, just isn’t doing poo about it.

34 minutes ago, onmyown said:

I think what stings is how huddlers are right over people paid millions...you know like Amini, A Edwards, holding onto jarrett forever, Grier, Paradis signing, M Kalil tagging peppers instead of trading, paying Shaq and not BB, let Norman and norwell walk to pay for Kalils retirement and Olsen to sit on the bench.....I could probably think of a dozen more. 

I mean these moves are criticized with general consensus right here on the huddle when they were made without hindsight...how does this happen?

I always thought we as fans should be wrong more often than not....Huddlers being right vs people in the FO paid millions...I kind of see an weird, backwards issue here

Now Little, pretty sure 80% of this forum was pretty mad about this draft night...especially since Hurney traded up for him...and the cherry on top is he reportedly would’ve taken him in the first round of Burns wasn’t there

I see this as serious issues Hurney has not learned from, this kind of poo is what prevents the Panthers from being a contender, these are Hurney’s biggest flaws rearing it’s head, again.

I’ve been very pro Tepper for everything he has done but the fact he can’t even interview quality candidates because he refuses to fire Hurney is really starting to piss me off as a fan. I love how sneaky this whole ‘interim’ GM bullshit he fed us was...never knew interim meant 5 years ongoing or whatever.

Why even say stuff like that unless you know there is an issue? He knows, just isn’t doing poo about it.

Watching Little work at the Combine he looked undraftable. 

1 hour ago, AU-panther said:

Every team can second guess picks.  Everyone misses.

The problem with trading up is you end up missing mulitple times.

Its ego, there is always some coach or GM who thinks they are smarter than everyone else and they are 100% sure about a player.

Once you realize every pick is a gamble you start to realize that trading up is actually the bad play.  Sure there are times when it works out for a player but overall and over time it doesn't.

DG use to say he didn't want to trade a quarter for two dimes.  In reality what you are trading is a 20% chance of being right for a 15% and 10%.  Over time the two picks will work out better.

The current draft trade value chart favors moving down and getting more picks.  The exception to this is QBs.  The reward for being correct on one of them is so high it makes for  the opportunities you are losing by giving up picks.

In all honesty, I agree with what you're saying. The draft is too much of a crapshoot that the person trading down and collecting more chances to hit on a player is the smarter move. But then it's also hard to reconcile that with us trading up for Jeremy Chinn or the Chiefs trading up for Mahomes. At the end of the day, the most important factor is: how much do you trust your scouting? Unfortunately for us, until this most recent draft, it was hard to have a huge amount of confidence in Hurney's after the first round. And that was ultimately the bigger issue. If Little turned into even an average starting left tackle, no one would second guess that trade, even if the players selected in those spots turned out pretty good. 

47 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Watching Little work at the Combine he looked undraftable. 

Exactly. I enjoy people trying to defend Hurney but he had to have been getting BBQ or playing Candy Crush during the OL drills. Since I think we were the only ones that truly liked him enough to take him, we probably could have even waited until 77 to take him. So many good OL taken in that 2nd round and we spent two picks to get the bottom of the barrel.

26 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

It's basically a push between Moore and Ridley, but Moore hasn't had Julio Jones pulling all the coverage away from him his entire career. I'll keep Moore.

Objectively speaking, Ridley is probably better.

But that really only hurts us if Moore is bad. He isn't (far from it).

1 minute ago, stbugs said:

Exactly. I enjoy people trying to defend Hurney but he had to have been getting BBQ or playing Candy Crush during the OL drills. Since I think we were the only ones that truly liked him enough to take him, we probably could have even waited until 77 to take him. So many good OL taken in that 2nd round and we spent two picks to get the bottom of the barrel.

Factoring in also that we would have taken him at Pick #16 if Brian Burns hadn't fallen.

Archived