• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Is QB the right pick?

rmoneyg35

6 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I think Rhule realizes that Teddy ain't it. I think he's probably realized that for awhile, he's just now getting the point of frustration that he's having some slips of the tongue and having Teddy throw his staff under the bus on that missed throw to DJ Moore may have had a lot to do with it.

The guys at the riot report and now the cp3 podcast have some interesting theories about Rhule and Teddy.  They think by signing him to a team friendly deal (where they can cut him after year 2) they can appear to not want to tank but fully know that Teddy cannot win so its a smoke and mirrors tank job.  Its a little bit more complex than that but thats the gist of it. 

2 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

The guys at the riot report and now the cp3 podcast have some interesting theories about Rhule and Teddy.  They think by signing him to a team friendly deal (where they can cut him after year 2) they can appear to not want to tank but fully know that Teddy cannot win so its a smoke and mirrors tank job.  Its a little bit more complex than that but thats the gist of it. 

That would be some high level 4D chess right there.

36 minutes ago, Khyber53 said:

If a RB can get into the top seven picks this season, I'd be mighty surprised. Ask me again after we see CMC make it through the end of the season. (I've got faith he's going to be okay and back to form, but I also would have sworn last December that we had a few more years in Luke.)

So you wouldn't go with BPA.

Just now, LinvilleGorge said:

I just don't think you're making much of a point here. It wouldn't be a huge shock if there's not a RB taken in the 1st round this year.

RBs don't get selected that high in the draft because BPA doesn't really exist is my point.  

6 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

Oh yeah. It's just that easy.

Except it's not.

Free agency oline are expensive.  To field a respectable line I think we need in order of importance.  Left tackle, center and right guard.  If moton leaves we need a whole line basically.  So.... Free agency has failed us before but some of you are doomed to repeat the error.  Paradis and kalil are the recent big time swing and misses.   I say trade down and attack the oline problem.

4 minutes ago, Shotgun said:

Sewell, the best LT to come out since Joe Thomas

And you interpreted that to mean, "How do you know Sewell will be like Joe Thomas." (quoting you)   Different meanings. You see, I enjoy debating hypotheticals, which is all we can do now, but when it begins with a manipulated interpretation of an observation, it rarely results in a constructive conversation.  Mechanically, Sewell is about as flawless as was Thomas but they are different players. 

If I had the slightest doubt on Qb3-4 I would take Sewell if he is there. (Which he won't be.)

I would then use the 4th round pick or a later, and just do a hit or miss if any other QB show some potential.. it's a gamble no matter which position so might as well.

But the plan would be to get a QB in the draft 2022 instead. Hoping to draft top15 and that "my" qb3 is there. 

If "my" qb3-4 in 2021 is falling to the end of the first round. I would consider trade back, might even consider using the 2022 pick. 

If Sewell is 85-90% of the player he seems to be, he could be traded for 1-2 first picks. So if the team still struggles to find the right QB, there would be some draft capital.

14 hours ago, Shotgun said:

So you wouldn't go with BPA.

I would. I'd stand by it, but everything has a caveat or two. As I said, if one of the top three QBs is there at our pick, then it's both a no-brainer and BPA situation. Top OT, same thing. 

QB is the most pivotal position in football, the best of those candidates are always BPA picks. OT is a close second. From there, BPA does have some objectivity to it. If it is RB, then you grab and go, just like we did with CMC. It will pay off. The best players always do. The ones you pick because you have a glaring need oftentimes end up disappointing.

21 hours ago, EgoDogg said:

If you go by 3rd QB drafted being the 3rd best QB, here's what history shows:

2020 - Justin Herbert was the 3rd best QB
2019 - Dwayne Haskins was the 3rd best (weak QB class)
2018 - Josh Allen was the 3rd best
2017 - Deshaun Watson was the 3rd best

So yeah... if there's a strong QB class and you believe in the 3rd best, you take him.

Valid point

the problem with drafting a QB early is if you miss......you are doing it again 2 years later (see Washington), and possibly replacing the coaching staff

Surely Rhule knows this. So unless he is sold on one of these QBs being his guy - my guess is they okay it safe, ride with Bridgewater, and keep building. 

14 hours ago, kass said:

If I had the slightest doubt on Qb3-4 I would take Sewell if he is there. (Which he won't be.)

I would then use the 4th round pick or a later, and just do a hit or miss if any other QB show some potential.. it's a gamble no matter which position so might as well.

But the plan would be to get a QB in the draft 2022 instead. Hoping to draft top15 and that "my" qb3 is there. 

If "my" qb3-4 in 2021 is falling to the end of the first round. I would consider trade back, might even consider using the 2022 pick. 

If Sewell is 85-90% of the player he seems to be, he could be traded for 1-2 first picks. So if the team still struggles to find the right QB, there would be some draft capital.

Hurney trading next year's 1st to move up is the nightmare scenario.

Archived