• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Jeff Ireland rumored to be a GM candidate

Mr. Scot

On 12/21/2020 at 4:17 PM, Mr. Scot said:

Probably gonna do a candidate thread later, but wanted to throw this one out there since Jones mentioned it.

I don't get why anyone would want anyone from the saints FoH. Their chickens are coming home to roost real soon and when it does their roster is going to implode. Ya they hit the sweet spot for the past 4ish years but that window is one COVID or Brees contract away from completely going to poo.

And to get where the saints are(Good) now would take 3-4 years of absolute poo. We should have pulled the trigger on the KC guys last year but nooo we had to give hurney another chance.

3 hours ago, Harbingers said:

I don't get why anyone would want anyone from the saints FoH. Their chickens are coming home to roost real soon and when it does their roster is going to implode. Ya they hit the sweet spot for the past 4ish years but that window is one COVID or Brees contract away from completely going to poo.

And to get where the saints are(Good) now would take 3-4 years of absolute poo. We should have pulled the trigger on the KC guys last year but nooo we had to give hurney another chance.

Ireland is basically only responsible for drafting in New Orleans now. Saints are drafting better than any team in the league right now. Their 2017 haul was maybe the best class ever 

3 hours ago, Harbingers said:

I see trying to poo on the Saints, but that doesn’t make the statement about 3-4 years of poo true to match them. The Saints went from three years of 7-9 to a playoff team in 1 draft where they had pick 11. The main difference with us and them in 2017 is a QB to build around. If we can hit on a good rookie QB we can compete in 2022. I expect next year to still be rough and maybe Teddy led. 

On 12/21/2020 at 9:16 PM, Ricky Spanish said:

Eh, they've been saying it since 2017. They had Marshon 1 then Mahomes 2.

https://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/236981/saints-got-their-guy-but-would-have-drafted-patrick-mahomes-ii-if-they-didnt

Article is from right after the draft 2017. 

I heard the opposite right after the draft and during the 2017 season, before Malhomes became MVP. Not to ignore that link, but this maybe one of tactics all teams use to boost the ego of the player they selected. Another team jumps ahead picks the player you want/ranked much high, save face by telling reporters "Nah, we got the player we wanted and ranked high, super happy about the out come!!!...[sif..sif]". Chiefs made sure to trade one spot ahead of them, most times they are right. Just like when the Eagles traded one spot ahead of the Texans to select Dillard, since it was no secret texans where going to pick Dillard. Bills did this to pick Dion Dawkins and panthers picked Moton anyway. I think that was Billys first draft, so he knew what the panthers wanted in a OT since the same scouting/coaches remained. 

On 12/21/2020 at 4:46 PM, stbugs said:

I’ll be honest, I don’t think the drafts were all that awful and his 10 worst things were not that awful aside from Dez Bryant. Most of it was not getting a QB although he drafted Ryan Tanehill. Seems to me that maybe some of his “draft” problems were coach related (in his top 10, a couple things were about not being able to get a top coach, kind of a chicken egg scenario). Seems like he did get a QB and the coaching wasn’t good enough as Tennessee seems to be happy with Tannehill now.

Anyway, doesn’t seem all that bad, most drafts came away with 2-3 starters and some guys like Tannehill that were coach issues. We don’t need a coach so I’m willing to look at his Saints drafting seeing as how he also had a competent coach.

I agree. That 10 worst decisions article is quite underwhelming as an indictment on him. So he missed on two different 2nd round QBs? When was the last time a 2nd round qb panned out? Even 1st rounders bust as often as they work out. 

Other highlights: not resigning 36 year old Jason Taylor who lit the league on fire with 5 sacks in 16 games for the Jets the following year. Missing out on hiring Jeff Fisher, a coach so bad that the Rams went from one of the worst teams in the league to one of the best by making almost no changes other than swapping him for McVay. Cutting Yeremiah Bell, who subsequently was signed by the Jets, starting 16 games with 1 pass defense and zero interceptions. Signing some crappy Olineman to a 1 year, $2 million contract? Those were the backbreaking, horrible mistakes they could come up with in his 6 years with the Dolphins? I don't know if he's the best candidate but that list, especially when juxtaposed with what he's done for New Orleans the last few years, is not scaring me away. 

4 hours ago, Harbingers said:

I get the premise of your argument but do you understand that people have been making it for a decade and it never actually materializes? Maybe they are actually just smarter when it comes to the cap  Not that Ireland has anything to do with the salary cap.

Look if its Miami Jeff, fug NO, rather bring baack Marty to give me another hernia

If its Saints Jeff, thats fine. Hes learned LOTS and knows the ins and out of a one of the best teams in the league thats also a divisional foe. I didnt realize his age is still "young" for having spent so much time in the league.

Still think its going to be a lesser known 40-ish with a firm grasp for the future NFL. Ideas with a list of people to hire form Teppers piggybank. 

To be clear, Ireland hasn't just run the Saints drafts from 2015 forward. He was given free rein to reorganize their entire college scouting department, and it looks like he did a really good job.

When you look at what David Tepper is wanting in the GM, you'd have to say that will factor in.

10 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

To be clear, Ireland hasn't just run the Saints drafts from 2015 forward. He was given free rein to reorganize their entire college scouting department, and it looks like he did a really good job.

When you look at what David Tepper is wanting in the GM, you'd have to say that will factor in.

Just like with all teams its was a collaboration, Saints have been one of if not the best drafting teams and that started during Jeff arrival. Hes already got GM exp and already made mistakes. It is key you said he already rebuild the scouting department with great success. Guess who else wants to rebuild the scouting department and have great success? 

Panthers need about 30 players with limited cap space, the best way to fill that need is undrafted Free agents. Guess who has also been among the leagues best at identifying UDFAs? Rhule and Jeff also share Bill parcells as a friend too, could add that to the bio/post. 

47 minutes ago, Peon Awesome said:

I agree. That 10 worst decisions article is quite underwhelming as an indictment on him. So he missed on two different 2nd round QBs? When was the last time a 2nd round qb panned out? Even 1st rounders bust as often as they work out. 

Other highlights: not resigning 36 year old Jason Taylor who lit the league on fire with 5 sacks in 16 games for the Jets the following year. Missing out on hiring Jeff Fisher, a coach so bad that the Rams went from one of the worst teams in the league to one of the best by making almost no changes other than swapping him for McVay. Cutting Yeremiah Bell, who subsequently was signed by the Jets, starting 16 games with 1 pass defense and zero interceptions. Signing some crappy Olineman to a 1 year, $2 million contract? Those were the backbreaking, horrible mistakes they could come up with in his 6 years with the Dolphins? I don't know if he's the best candidate but that list, especially when juxtaposed with what he's done for New Orleans the last few years, is not scaring me away. 

Compared to Marty’s list of top 10 fails, this list was like a warm soft blanket and hot chocolate on a cold night. Especially since the worst stuff was about something we don’t need (a new coach) and Chad Henne when he drafted Tannehill who has shown the problem was coaching.

Archived