• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Two Schools of Thought

DaveThePanther2008

9 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Well, I can't find anywhere where Rhule says this. The article says Rhule says this on the radio show, but the radio show is Joe Person and he admits he's guessing. "That felt like the Hurney presence" is not definitive. It's supposition. 

6 hours ago, top dawg said:

I have a hard time believing that a professional scouting department that has been scouting a player for months/years is going to be swayed by the Combine one way or another, unless the player just flops or something. This is probably even more true about prospective QBs. Scouts pretty much know what they can do before they even step on the field of the Underwear Olympics. That being said, there may be somewhat more emphasis for a guy who essentially only played one season at the position. I think it gives us unkowns a ticket to private workouts, but TL already has that ticket so what he does at the workouts are vastly more important than the Combine, and this can probably be said for most players except the cream of the crop! 

Where I totally disagree with you is that I don't believe that you get into this numbers game with a guy you believe is a franchise QB. I don't care if it's too 5 or not, if your guy is there, you take him! You don't get cute, and you don't get lost within minutiae of the trade valuation chart!

Lance has plenty to love! The question is whether that raw talent can be refined into a professional QB worthy of a high first round pick, and higher than another outstanding prospect (Sewell being the guy at his position comes to mind)!

Love it or hate it guys are made or broken in the combine every year. Ali Marpet to Jeremy Chinn.  We also see it every year with wrs. John Ross anyone?Whats nice about the combine is if you love a guy but he falls a bit because of the combine that can be good.

7 hours ago, WarHeel said:

We’ve been trying to mend the line since Gross retired. Unless we are guaranteed the best QB this year, which we aren’t, we should go O-line.

Nobody is "guaranteed" the best QB. Higher picks do not equal better players, only better prospects. Any QB taken could theoretically end up as the best QB from this class. 

11 minutes ago, TheMaulClaw said:

Love it or hate it guys are made or broken in the combine every year. Ali Marpet to Jeremy Chinn.  We also see it every year with wrs. John Ross anyone?Whats nice about the combine is if you love a guy but he falls a bit because of the combine that can be good.

I agree to a point. Sometimes guys from those small schools fall through the cracks, Marpet being a prime example. This isn't happening with Trey Lance. Everyone of import knows who he is.

Just now, top dawg said:

I agree to a point. Sometimes guys from those small schools fall through the cracks, market being a prime example. This isn't happening with Trey Lance. Everyone of import knows who he is.

I disagree. I think if Lance performed poorly in the combine it would absolutely hurt him.

2 minutes ago, TheMaulClaw said:

I disagree. I think if Lance performed poorly in the combine it would absolutely hurt him.

That's not my point. I've already said that if he bombs it will hurt him, but believe it or not, anyone that performs poorly at the Combine will hurt them! 

12 minutes ago, PootieNunu said:

Nobody is "guaranteed" the best QB. Higher picks do not equal better players, only better prospects. Any QB taken could theoretically end up as the best QB from this class. 

Any QB taken could end up being a bust. Gotta go with the most sure thing and if that is the #1 LT vs the #3 QB from the same draft class you go with the former in my opinion. 

Just now, top dawg said:

That's not my point. I've already said that if he bombs it will hurt him, but believe it or not, anyone that performs poorly at the Combine will hurt them! 

Maybe I read your post wrong.  I thought you said that professional scouts with years of research wouldn't allow the combine to deter their thinking. Maybe I misinterpreted.

Just now, WarHeel said:

Any QB taken could end up being a bust. Gotta go with the most sure thing and if that is the #1 LT vs the #3 QB from the same draft class you go with the former in my opinion. 

Look at last years draft, Who is the best QB from the top 3, Burrow, Tua, or Herbert?

Archived