• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Let's talk about Darnold

Jaxel

I was one of the most vocal opposing Haskins, but I don't have a problem with looking at Darnold, Winston, or Carr, just to name three.  Now what I might give up to look at them is a different story.  I would not offer up a day two pick for any of them.

If Darnold is available, it is because the Jets drafted a QB at #2.  I am not convinced they are going to do that (I agree Sewell is a possibility for them), but if they do they also lower Darnold's trade value.  A third round pick is too high. 

Even if we assume TB is the starter in 2021, and we further assume we improve the OL and he ups his game, our QB stable is thin, at best.  Last year we had Cam, and then a big gap to Allen and Grier.  2021 would look equally weak unless we draft somebody in the first or find somebody like Darnold (or one of the others) who is seen initially as a backup that has shown he can start for a few weeks.

There is a difference between a backup that can take the reins for 4-6 games (or longer) when needed and a backup that can play a few series while the starter is evaluated and proves he is fit to return.

10 minutes ago, GoobyPls said:

Darnold was not a better prospect than Wilson or Fields. The jets didn’t even want Darnold they wanted Baker.

Darnold is a Ryan Fitzpatrick clone and will never be a franchise QB.

They wanted Baker because he was seen as more pro ready and matured (remember, he was in college a long time, similar to burrow), where as Darnold was younger, and people thought he would take time. I'd say Darnold was similar to Herbert in that regard. Darnold was with out a doubt looked at as the prospect with the highest ceiling, by a long shot.

If you read other message boards (I do once in a while) Here is the latest (This may be common knowledge to you all, but I was hearing some of this in detail for the first time):

Detroit fans and maybe the new staff is ready to move Stafford while he has some value---I see Patriot blue all over that one--but I could see him in Indianapolis as well, should he opt for another domed stadium.

The Raiders are not happy with Carr, even though his numbers are pretty good--sounds like Bridgewater--this game is not about the QB padding personal stats--wins and losses.  In Carolina, 0-8 on potential game winning drives is all you need to know about Bridgewater--who cares if he completes 70% of his passes if he can't move the team when it matters?

The Broncos are looking to move on from Lock.  This is a potential backup, but one that has starting experience who could develop.

The Jets might keep Darnold and grab Sewell, trade back, or a stud WR.  A win tomorrow could solidify this decision--a late-season, 3-game win streak. (Jets have 2nd pick in the draft)

The Colts are probably going to lose Rivers.  Broadcasting options (I don't understand the appeal) and comments he is making sure make it sound as if his next loss with be the end of his career.  Expect Indy to be aggressive finding his replacement.  For that reason, cheer for them in the playoffs.

The Falcons will be hiring a new coach.  While Ryan's contract is a bear, he still has a few years and could produce on an established team.  I am not sure a new coach would build around a 36-year old game manager with a bad defense. I expect them to go with Ryan in 2021 and focus 100% on building the defense, but they could take a future QB to groom at any time--draft or free agency.  (The Falcons currently hold the 4th pick in the draft)

The Washington Football Team probably has the worst QB situation in the NFL with Alex Smith (age, injury history), Allen (consistency, experience, skill), and Heinicke (possibly their best QB right now).  They WILL be aggressive in the draft or free agency, which makes me nervous if they are in range to move up.  So if they win today, we may not improve our draft spot, but we could distance ourselves from the threat of being leapfrogged by Ron.  If anyone knows the importance of riding a QB into job security, it is RR.  Without one, he is exposed and he knows it.  Ron will do all he can to get a QB.  If he/they hire Marty, Hurney may have inside information to help them target players he knows we may fancy.

The Eagles (who will be treating the game Sunday like a preseason game--evaluating bench talent, according to the boards) probably have to dump Wentz somehow, but I do not know how.  They have Hertz, but a team like Washington, Indy, or New England may be good options. (The Eagles currently hold the 6th pick in the draft.  I think they are prime trading partners for a team looking to move up)

The Bears were going to be in the QB market, but with Trubiski's resurgence, who knows what they are thinking.  I expect a second-level QB to groom.  Maybe a Trask if he falls into the third.  Fans in the Windy City really do not think Trubiski is the answer--never really did.

The Steelers are interestingly in the mix based on the late-season collapse and Big Ben (will be 39) has been hit a few times in the league as injuries are starting to show up in his game a bit.  Ben will count $40 million against the Steelers' cap next season, the last year of his deal.  About half could be saved if he is released.  What to do? 

The Vikings are not in love with Cousins by any means.  Fans don't seem to like the big contract the team gave an average QB.  He will count $31m against the cap this season, and it is all guaranteed.  He can be cut in 2022, however, and it will still cost them $10m in dead money.  Maybe a late round QB project like the kid from Cincinnati.

The 49ers are not real happy with Garappolo and they can get out that deal with minimal damage at any time.  Currently, JG makes about $26m, but they could release him and only have $2m (est) go to dead cap, saving $24m.  I think they will be players in the QB market, but not sure how. (The niners currently have the 15th pick in the draft)

That is 13 teams--including Carolina--who might be in the QB market.

10 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

If you read other message boards (I do once in a while) Here is the latest (This may be common knowledge to you all, but I was hearing some of this in detail for the first time):

Detroit fans and maybe the new staff is ready to move Stafford while he has some value---I see Patriot blue all over that one--but I could see him in Indianapolis as well, should he opt for another domed stadium.

The Raiders are not happy with Carr, even though his numbers are pretty good--sounds like Bridgewater--this game is not about the QB padding personal stats--wins and losses.  In Carolina, 0-8 on potential game winning drives is all you need to know about Bridgewater--who cares if he completes 70% of his passes if he can't move the team when it matters?

The Broncos are looking to move on from Lock.  This is a potential backup, but one that has starting experience who could develop.

The Jets might keep Darnold and grab Sewell, trade back, or a stud WR.  A win tomorrow could solidify this decision--a late-season, 3-game win streak. (Jets have 2nd pick in the draft)

The Colts are probably going to lose Rivers.  Broadcasting options (I don't understand the appeal) and comments he is making sure make it sound as if his next loss with be the end of his career.  Expect Indy to be aggressive finding his replacement.  For that reason, cheer for them in the playoffs.

The Falcons will be hiring a new coach.  While Ryan's contract is a bear, he still has a few years and could produce on an established team.  I am not sure a new coach would build around a 36-year old game manager with a bad defense. I expect them to go with Ryan in 2021 and focus 100% on building the defense, but they could take a future QB to groom at any time--draft or free agency.  (The Falcons currently hold the 4th pick in the draft)

The Washington Football Team probably has the worst QB situation in the NFL with Alex Smith (age, injury history), Allen (consistency, experience, skill), and Heinicke (possibly their best QB right now).  They WILL be aggressive in the draft or free agency, which makes me nervous if they are in range to move up.  So if they win today, we may not improve our draft spot, but we could distance ourselves from the threat of being leapfrogged by Ron.  If anyone knows the importance of riding a QB into job security, it is RR.  Without one, he is exposed and he knows it.  Ron will do all he can to get a QB.  If he/they hire Marty, Hurney may have inside information to help them target players he knows we may fancy.

The Eagles (who will be treating the game Sunday like a preseason game--evaluating bench talent, according to the boards) probably have to dump Wentz somehow, but I do not know how.  They have Hertz, but a team like Washington, Indy, or New England may be good options. (The Eagles currently hold the 6th pick in the draft.  I think they are prime trading partners for a team looking to move up)

The Bears were going to be in the QB market, but with Trubiski's resurgence, who knows what they are thinking.  I expect a second-level QB to groom.  Maybe a Trask if he falls into the third.  Fans in the Windy City really do not think Trubiski is the answer--never really did.

The Steelers are interestingly in the mix based on the late-season collapse and Big Ben (will be 39) has been hit a few times in the league as injuries are starting to show up in his game a bit.  Ben will count $40 million against the Steelers' cap next season, the last year of his deal.  About half could be saved if he is released.  What to do? 

The Vikings are not in love with Cousins by any means.  Fans don't seem to like the big contract the team gave an average QB.  He will count $31m against the cap this season, and it is all guaranteed.  He can be cut in 2022, however, and it will still cost them $10m in dead money.  Maybe a late round QB project like the kid from Cincinnati.

The 49ers are not real happy with Garappolo and they can get out that deal with minimal damage at any time.  Currently, JG makes about $26m, but they could release him and only have $2m (est) go to dead cap, saving $24m.  I think they will be players in the QB market, but not sure how. (The niners currently have the 15th pick in the draft)

That is 13 teams--including Carolina--who might be in the QB market.

Fans don't make roster  decisions. Imagine how wrong one would be reading the Huddle to predict things like this.

2 hours ago, Jaxel said:

They haven't yet, but if they take a qb, I bet Belichick will be the first on the line.

I was thinking the same thing.  Belichick is a master of trades too.  He'll get the better end of the deal.  Giving up less for more.

If we are to consider a trade for him you can bet we are going to have to outbid Bilicheat. 

17 minutes ago, Moo Daeng said:

Fans don't make roster  decisions. Imagine how wrong one would be reading the Huddle to predict things like this.

Please show me where I said fans make roster decisions.

How often have you read a mock or listened to a TV commentator and realized that they (the "experts") know less about the team than you do?  Besides, a lot of the information above is not fan gossip--it is the realities of cap situations, etc.  The fans can give you a pretty good idea what the attitude is in the city about the team or a player.  I do not think I was misleading in that regard and you can take away value from this perspective or not. 

3 hours ago, musicman said:

If they got Darnold, are they going to make Teddy a back up or trade him? They're not going to cut him. I don't see them doing this deal. 

I do not want to misrepresent your meaning, but if they do this deal, I think Teddy has to stay on as a backup for a season--his contract makes him impossible to trade.  $21m or so is too steep and we cannot get out of this deal until 2022.  I think we want to bring in someone to compete with Teddy, and, ideally, Teddy mentors a young QB for a season--as the temporary starter.  I think Teddy is our opening day QB next year, regardless of what we do.

Good information, MHS831.  It is consistent with the bits and pieces I have been reading.

Stafford is a good option for a team that thinks it can compete in the short term.  He is what, 32 now?

I don't think the Falcons are doing anything noteworthy in the QB position this year, either.  They committed to Ryan a few years ago, and they are sort of stuck with it now.  And he is not the one that has been blowing 4th quarter leads, although one could argue he has not helped protect them, either.

The Eagles have themselves in a pickle with Wentz and I have no idea how they get out of that.  He pretty much has to be given another shot in 2021 just for cap reasons.

The irony on Carr is he just drove them down the field against Miami for the game-winning TD.....except their defense blew a coverage and grabbed the QB by the facemask (grabbed, not hit) and blew it in record time.  We all know about Chuckie's doghouse.  Carr probably could not escape that if he led them to a Super Bowl next year, looking like some Rodgers-Mahomes hybrid along the way.  I am also wondering how long Chuckie will stay of the hot seat with the Raiders.

Any idea if Belichick would be interested in Garappolo?  He wanted to move on from Brady when decision time between the two was at hand before.  Kraft stepped in, and now Hoodie has a giant "I told you this would happen" hanging over his head.

9 minutes ago, Sgt Schultz said:

Good information, MHS831.  It is consistent with the bits and pieces I have been reading.

Stafford is a good option for a team that thinks it can compete in the short term.  He is what, 32 now?

I don't think the Falcons are doing anything noteworthy in the QB position this year, either.  They committed to Ryan a few years ago, and they are sort of stuck with it now.  And he is not the one that has been blowing 4th quarter leads, although one could argue he has not helped protect them, either.

The Eagles have themselves in a pickle with Wentz and I have no idea how they get out of that.  He pretty much has to be given another shot in 2021 just for cap reasons.

The irony on Carr is he just drove them down the field against Miami for the game-winning TD.....except their defense blew a coverage and grabbed the QB by the facemask (grabbed, not hit) and blew it in record time.  We all know about Chuckie's doghouse.  Carr probably could not escape that if he led them to a Super Bowl next year, looking like some Rodgers-Mahomes hybrid along the way.  I am also wondering how long Chuckie will stay of the hot seat with the Raiders.

Any idea if Belichick would be interested in Garappolo?  He wanted to move on from Brady when decision time between the two was at hand before.  Kraft stepped in, and now Hoodie has a giant "I told you this would happen" hanging over his head.

I have not read anything about Garappolo and New England--although I think someone on here mentioned it once.  Interesting thought.  BB's ego has to be battling with the criticism---You did not build a dynasty, Brady did.  You just were there for the ride." Will he put that aside and try to bring in another elite QB or will he bring back a gem he found at the SR Bowl and signed?  I dunno.

I see Bill B, Ron R, and maybe even Tomlin as coaches who know the value of an elite QB. I think, if Pittsburgh decides to move on, all three will be aggressive.  I do not see Garappolo as aggressive--but we shall see. He seemed comfortable and effective in that system. BB needs to give him some weapons, however.  I have no clue about it. Popcorn out, Schultz!!

Archived