• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Mahomes effect on drafting

AU-panther

Just now, philit99 said:

I didn’t forget him he has tremendous talent. I seen lots of tape on him. Here is the thing, I am not the QB Whisper, Andy Reid is a QB whisper. What NFL team could draft Rattler and use that playbook to elevate him? -> Seattle would be perfect for him.

Carolina. Rattler is going to be better than Howell. Take it to the bank, man. 

13 minutes ago, w280sax said:

Why was he not considered the consensus top pick that year.  Did the experts think he was just good in the Texas tech system...was he inconsistent...something to do with his attributes?

I didn't really know much about him at the time.

The "experts" are probably wrong more often than they are right.

whether or not you thought Mahomes was worth it, that isn't the point. 

The point is KC had a playoff team and decided to trade up in the first round to try and find an elite QB.

That line of thinking is totally different than trying to build around Teddy or any middle of the road QB.

10 minutes ago, nctarheelreincarnated said:

Carolina. Rattler is going to be better than Howell. Take it to the bank, man. 

It’s possible. I would take UNC’s offensive weapons over OU’s at the moment. Sam has better toys to play with in my opinion. Hard to guard the 50 yard bomb and Javonte Williams at the same time. So you could be right Rattler is doing more with less.

6 minutes ago, w280sax said:

Why was he not considered the consensus top pick that year.  Did the experts think he was just good in the Texas tech system...was he inconsistent...something to do with his attributes?

"Lance Zierlein described in the profile: "Mahomes' ability to improvise and extend plays can lead to big plays for his offense, but he will have to prove he can operate with better anticipation and be willing to take what the defense gives him in order to win from the pocket."

Has never seen a rusher he couldn't slip, a throw he couldn't make. Oozes of confidence... Is a touchdown to checkdown style of passer. Capable of launching deep throws on the move with little effort. Mahomes II has the highest ceiling of any Quarterback in the 2017 class. ...a true boom or bust player; if he is able to mentally recondition himself and gain consistency in his mechanics he will be a star in the NFL. - Draft Network

His arm is as good as any quarterback in the NFL playing right now. The natural passing instincts as far as sliding and feeling pass-rushers in the pocket, to seeing in front of the throw and adjusting to the type of throw needed, is special. His lack of discipline in the pocket with footwork, bailing on clean pockets, and decision making is a big concern." - Pro Football Focus

All that (very positive stuff) said, Mahomes does indeed face the steep learning curve that comes with a transition from Texas Tech’s system to the NFL. He will have to adjust to working under center, at least on occasion, while digesting reads and coverages. There should be a limit to how much his next team wants to clean up his mechanics—pushing Mahomes to be too bland would take away his improvisational skills. However, Mahomes’s mechanics can be scattershot, which is why he will thread a needle one play and then fire an easy pass into the third row the next. - SI

(After talking about his many positive traits), Mahomes is going to need to learn how to work under center, call plays in a huddle, and develop his footwork to make drops from being under center. His college offense featured a lot of quick throws, screens, and designed runs that don't translate to the NFL. - Walter Football

3 minutes ago, AU-panther said:

whether or not you thought Mahomes was worth it, that isn't the point. 

The point is KC had a playoff team and decided to trade up in the first round to try and find an elite QB.

That line of thinking is totally different than trying to build around Teddy or any middle of the road QB.

Understood, but trading up to 10 is much different than trading up to 2 or 3. It still cost them the their 1st round 27, next years 1st rounder, and a 3rd rounder, but we call all agree it was worth it. The next Mahomes still has to be on the board when it makes sense to trade.

28 minutes ago, w280sax said:

We don't know the draft boards, only what the media feeds us.

Andy could have had him 1.1.

Just now, LinvilleGorge said:

The philosophy of trying to build a great team around a mediocre QB has largely been a dead idea in the NFL for years now.

However, if you can get the right pieces before then get a great QB, you are set. The panthers have great offensive weapons, we need a good catching TE, and rework the entire O-line, especially if we do not retain Moton.

9 minutes ago, philit99 said:

However, if you can get the right pieces before then get a great QB, you are set. The panthers have great offensive weapons, we need a good catching TE, and rework the entire O-line, especially if we do not retain Moton.

You can't time a QB, if you get the chance to draft one you better do it.

1 minute ago, philit99 said:

You simply can't pass on the QB if he's there because you aren't quite built they way you would prefer.

If he checks the boxes, you figure out how to get him.

1 hour ago, w280sax said:

Yes, he was a ‘Texas tech’ QB. Before Mahomes, Texas tech QBs had a rep for being busts. They had amazing stats in college but fizzled in the pros. 

You see that thinking with Fields this year.

Archived