• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

REPORT: Nick Caserio: Texans have “zero interest” in trading Deshaun Watson

WarPanthers89

5 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Key issue in the whole thing is that McNair absolutely doesn't want to do it.

Even if Caserio and Culley were on board, they'd still have to convince McNair. And per McClain, that would require "an unprecedented deal", basically "more than anyone has ever traded", and even then they'd still have to talk McNair into it.

That's a big reason why I'm doubtful it happens. If we were just talking about getting Caserio / Culley to relent, that'd be one thing.

If McNair digs his heels in, then we're talking about his ego and him having to admit he lost the battle.

Basically, that ain't happnin'

When he is watching his franchise suffer through empty stands and players jumping ship in droves, his ego might start to get overruled by his brain. 

34 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

According to John McClain, they're prepared for that, and they mean it.

The only scenario he sees where they relent on this is if someone brings them an offer bordering on the ridiculous.

QBs are different though.  Why Eli could pull off what he did in another time.  Exceptions to the rule.  Especially one like Watson.   A LaVeon Bell can sit and the the show can go on.   Realistically, we barely skipped a beat without the best RB in the NFL.  You can pretty much do that to any unhappy player in the league.  

Watson sits?  Good luck filling them seats.  The ones that sat empty the year prior.  QB isn't a next man up position.  Especially, when your team is a one man show at QB.  What is a bad backup going to do on bad team.     You thought the Jets were a laughing stock?  Last year's Jets would look good.  Coach/GM ain't keeping their jobs.  And Houston is a transplant city that doesn't have the Jets historically loyal fanbase.  What are they going to show up for?  You got to be able to sell something.   Fool the fans into thinking something positive is going on.  Houston doesn't have those cards. 

that said, every NFL owner is dreading this.   They have seen how other leagues have changed.  Only a matter of time before it seeps into the NFL to some degree. 

that's my 2 cents.  

• Beer 1

1 minute ago, kungfoodude said:

Oh I am not forgetting about ego. Hence the reason why I talk about the standoff lasting past this offseason. 

I do think his value could drop if the young drop of QB's step up and become NFL starters. Let's say that we get 3-5 potential starters from this draft. That's 3-5 potential suitors off the market. Let's say the Lions trade or cut Stafford and he ends up on a team that was considering trading for Watson. Or let's say Sam Darnold is suddenly a star without Gase. Those are all factors that make market demand drop. 

Less demand.....likely a lower price. It's not to say all of that will happen or that a team or teams may not get very desperate and be willing to give up anything but any of those things happening does hurt the overall market for him.

And let's not forget that there may be a big gulf between what the media speculates of his potential price and what an actual NFL team is willing to give up. 

McClain has said that if nothing happens by this year's draft, it ain't happening this year at all.

The Texans aren't interested in trading for next year's draft picks.

1 minute ago, Leeroy Jenkins Ph.D. said:

Wouldn't it be something to watch Watson come out every game and play horribly on purpose? Like just come out and take a knee or throw an obvious interception.

What is to stop this from happening? You still have to pay the player if he shows up, correct? 

I don't think he would do that. If you do that you lose the respect of your teammates and you also chase off franchises that would trade for you. 

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, kungfoodude said:

When he is watching his franchise suffer through empty stands and players jumping ship in droves, his ego might start to get overruled by his brain. 

If there's a fight between McNair's brain and his ego, I'm putting a hundred on the ego.

Hell, I'd put fifty on his spleen.

Just now, kungfoodude said:

Oh I am not forgetting about ego. Hence the reason why I talk about the standoff lasting past this offseason. 

I do think his value could drop if the young drop of QB's step up and become NFL starters. Let's say that we get 3-5 potential starters from this draft. That's 3-5 potential suitors off the market. Let's say the Lions trade or cut Stafford and he ends up on a team that was considering trading for Watson. Or let's say Sam Darnold is suddenly a star without Gase. Those are all factors that make market demand drop. 

Less demand.....likely a lower price. It's not to say all of that will happen or that a team or teams may not get very desperate and be willing to give up anything but any of those things happening does hurt the overall market for him.

And let's not forget that there may be a big gulf between what the media speculates of his potential price and what an actual NFL team is willing to give up. 

and some older guy will get worse or retire, which will offset the young guys this year, there will always be a need for QBs.  Some years the net change might be al little less than others but either way there will always be a need for QBs.

If they trade him now its not going to be because they think it will be less next year, its simply because they want the assets now or to avoid drama.  

6 minutes ago, Leeroy Jenkins Ph.D. said:

Wouldn't it be something to watch Watson come out every game and play horribly on purpose? Like just come out and take a knee or throw an obvious interception.

What is to stop this from happening? You still have to pay the player if he shows up, correct? 

About the only thing I could see from the team's side in a case like that is fines, maybe suspension for "conduct detrimental" or some such.

Worth remembering though that's also a really good way to piss off your teammates. Like say, the OL guys who are the only ones standing between you and the 300 pound monsters that wanna crush your skull.

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Beer 1

45 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

For the Carolina Panthers, it would be awesome to see him sit out 2021 and then the Texans be forced to trade him in 2022 offseason. In 2022 we should be in MUCH better shape to make a deal with them.

He can sit out all he wants to.  The Texans hold all the cards. 

• Beer 1

3 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

I don't think he would do that. If you do that you lose the respect of your teammates and you also chase off franchises that would trade for you. 

yeah, Watson is smart.  With a lot of money.  He would just go focus on his businesses and making money off the field.