• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Leverage and no trade clauses

AU-panther

10 hours ago, mav1234 said:

The biggest and simplest is that good luck building your new team around the new management when the QB is begging to get out... and when you could have multiple first rounders to turn things around with.  That's a ton of incentive to find a situation that benefits both sides.

Nobody has offered "multiple first rounders"...

...what makes you think they will?

If you do believe they will...exactly whom do you suggest will do so?

38 minutes ago, SizzleBuzz said:

the rams just gave the lions 2 first rounders (+a 3rd and goff) for stafford. you don't think anyone is willing to do that for watson? he'll probably bring 3.

Edited by nickzz
  • Pie 1

1 hour ago, SizzleBuzz said:

There will likely be 5 or more teams offering at least 2 first rounders and I suspect some that may offer more.

59 minutes ago, nickzz said:

the rams just gave the lions 2 first rounders (+a 3rd and goff) for stafford. you don't think anyone is willing to do that for watson? he'll probably bring 3.

Rank the teams who will do so...

(assumes Texans will even entertain offers which seem incredibly unlikely given the public stance Caserio & Co have taken)

Edited by SizzleBuzz

17 minutes ago, mav1234 said:

There will likely be 5 or more teams offering at least 2 first rounders and I suspect some that may offer more.

(assumes Texans will even entertain offers which seem incredibly unlikely given the public stance Caserio & Co have taken)

28 minutes ago, SizzleBuzz said:

They're entertaining offers because it would be stupid not to.  There's no reason to be that ridiculous because it can always be played off as due diligence.  It doesn't mean they need to take the offers. There is no player that a team refuses to entertain offers for.

Rank the teams?  Tons of speculation that NYJ/MIA/CAR are all going to be offering great deals. I would expect any team with a need to be inquiring.

13 hours ago, mav1234 said:

They're entertaining offers because it would be stupid not to. 

Rank the teams?  Tons of speculation that NYJ/MIA/CAR are all going to be offering great deals. I would expect any team with a need to be inquiring.

Are they?

Clearly the Texans front office is a sieve and info leaks out there constantly...I've not heard news of a single offer of any kind -- possibly I missed it.

So NYJ, MIA and CAR is the short list?  That's it?

Would Deshaun use his no-trade clause to block a trade to the NYJ?  The Jets are arguably a worse organization than the Texans.

21 hours ago, SizzleBuzz said:

Are they?

Clearly the Texans front office is a sieve and info leaks out there constantly...I've not heard news of a single offer of any kind -- possibly I missed it.

Would Deshaun use his no-trade clause to block a trade to the NYJ?  The Jets are arguably a worse organization than the Texans.

Why do you think offers would be leaked?  We know there's interest from around the league but the GM would play it close to the vest obviously.  We know tons of teams are interested, but we're not going to find out details right now. No doubt the Texans would prefer to find a way to keep a happy Watson, but keeping an extremely unhappy player is rough for a rebuilding franchise.

We may hear leaks closer to the draft but I doubt before.   I don't even see Watson being moved until then. No reason for it.

22 hours ago, SizzleBuzz said:

Are they?

Thank god someone else said it about the Jets.  I hate the New York media bias, because it dumbs down what should be a decent conversation about Watson.  People keep asking "what would be the best fit for him?"  And the dang Jets keep coming up.  Not because it is...but because its New York and the people talking are sitting in New York answering the question half the time.

37 minutes ago, mav1234 said:

Why do you think offers would be leaked?  We know there's interest from around the league but the GM would play it close to the vest obviously.  We know tons of teams are interested, but we're not going to find out details right now. No doubt the Texans would prefer to find a way to keep a happy Watson, but keeping an extremely unhappy player is rough for a rebuilding franchise.

We may hear leaks closer to the draft but I doubt before.   I don't even see Watson being moved until then. No reason for it.

The reason for leaking offers is to make other interested teams panic and up their offer rather than lose the player.  What did you hear leaked from the Lions camp?  "At least 1/3 of the league has contacted the Lions about Matt Stafford."  Then it even leaked into compensation that was being discussed, "at least one team has offered a 1st rounder."  Then they leaked "we want a deal complete before the Super Bowl" to put even more urgency into interested teams.

On 1/31/2021 at 1:58 AM, TrevorLaurenceTime22 said:

He hasn't MADE the signing bonus in full, It's paid up front but it's really an advance on future years.

That is incorrect. All that money was paid out at signing. That is all that is required for him to get that money, to simply sign.

However, they can go after the bonus in an arbitration. It isn't likely to net them a victory and certainly not a complete victory. What they can do is pile on fines as he sits out but that won't impact his bonus money much.

On 1/31/2021 at 12:38 AM, mav1234 said:

They're entertaining offers because it would be stupid not to.  There's no reason to be that ridiculous because it can always be played off as due diligence.  It doesn't mean they need to take the offers. There is no player that a team refuses to entertain offers for.

Actually, they're not.

Multiple sources have reported that while teams are calling them to discuss offers, the Texans aren't listening and they're not returning anyone's calls.

All indications are they're pretty staunchly dug in on this.